iPhone XR/XS/XS Max

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Hater

Hater Member

How can you say that about a device you've never ever even touched yet? There aren't even any benchmarks or photo comparisons yet if you're only of those people are are all about the numbers...

2. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

As much as I enjoy the X, it has been pretty lackluster for me so far especially given what I paid for it. I perhaps should have waited for the XR or XS but then they seem to be not much of an improvement over the X.

3. roger895

roger895 Member

Ignoring the risks of buying second hand (icloud locks and such, negated by being careful when buying), what does the newest batch of iphones do better than a 6s or newer for much less money (for the average joe looking for something that makes calls, sends texts, facebook, snapchat etc)?

Worst case, throw in a new battery, good as new, happy days.

The only reason why I upgraded to the 7+ was because I wanted the larger screen, and only got that size because a friend was selling it cheap.
    I couldn't justify buying an 8+ new as I saw little difference between them.

4. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

so far liking the change from my ip7 256GB -> ipXS Max 256GB, the screen size upgrade is excellent for my Netflix/Foxtel streaming, website/forum viewing is so much easier on the eyes as well.

5. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Samsung have been in that range for a while. 256gb S9 plus is ~$1500

6. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Fair enough. I've only just got the X, but I spent most of today out and about using it, and boy is it one capable piece of hardware. I love every aspect of the phone, from the near-instantaneous FaceID, to the fact that every app and action is snappy, to the beautiful, perfectly uniform OLED screen, to the amazingly powerful speakers, to the wonderful design (I'm using it caseless). And after fairly heavy usage today, it still has 32% battery left to boot.

I'm not sure what more I could ask for. New XS owners should be even more thrilled given benchies show the A12 to be around 10-15% faster than the A11 chip on average.

While there are no formal benchies of the XR out yet, I can't imagine that 1GB less RAM is going to affect the current XS benchmark results for the A12 chip much if at all. The synthetic benchies may suffer, but the real-world ones like app launch times and video encoding times should be much the same as the XS. I suppose the key difference then comes down to whether people think it's worth an extra $400 for an OLED screen, 1GB extra RAM and 3D Touch. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, for people with XR budgets but XS tastes, there are great iPhone X deals on ebay. I ran my ebay-acquired X's serial number through Apple and it's legitimate warrantied Australian stock, and surprisingly, the manufacturing date was only one month ago (Aug 2018).

Anyway let's hear more from the new XS owners. Question: did anyone get the gold XS Max, and if so, are you getting lots of looks and questions from passers by? Can't imagine that'd be a phone for a shy person ;)

7. Zee

Zee Member

You clearly have no significant other with kids...

Z...

Alfonzo likes this.
  8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

They're just spoiled. When I was a kid, 640KB was enough for anyone.

MrSnuffy and VIP3R like this.
  9. power

power Member

google photos allows you to just store everything in drive and free up space if required.

local storage, lololol

10. Zee

Zee Member

Slow interweb/non existant access mixed with constantly travel to 3rd world countries where access is not guaranteed.

Cloud storage - LOLOLOLOLOL....

Clearly, we need to accept that there are different use cases, and I'm not the only one for whom cloud storage is simply a no go for day to day life.

I do use Apple Music for my Sonos systems for both my "homes", though I still have music I *really* like stored locally on a NAS, because 128kbps is no match for uncompressed AIFF/WAV, when played through a properly good pair of speakers and class A/B amps.

Z...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    MR CHILLED and c4dderly like this.
  11. c4dderly

c4dderly Member

well said

12. power

power Member

Fringe usage cases. Lots of local storage in a phone for most people is just dumb.

13. Zee

Zee Member

Hundreds of millions of people living in countries with poor networks, but have the cash for nice things is not a "fringe case". Perhaps in Aus, it is...

Also, there is nothing like having a file stored directly on your phone when you *REALLY* need it, because I guarantee that is the time you'll be in a poor reception areas, or Telstra/Voda/Optus will be having a 4G meltdown - from experience.

I know you're likely to come back wit some smug holier than though retort, but unless I have access to Japanese grade infrastructure, I'll stick with local storage. Japan, and possibly Korea and Taiwan are the only places I've been to where I'd feel comfortable relying on cloud storage.

Z...

MR CHILLED likes this.
  14. power

power Member

ok, whatever.

i like that you are arguing for the poor while referring to a $2000+ phone.

try living without your 128GB+ phones and local storage for a little while - it's not that bad really it isn't.

also ensuring you have a proper synced backup means that setting up a device is as simple as turning the old one off and signing into the new one....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Exactly :thumbup:

16. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

User preference aside, this is an important point. If you store hundreds of GB locally, you still need to back it up regularly, which means you need a working non-local storage strategy (NAS, cloud, attachable storage). In which case, it would make sense to rely on non-local storage anyway, if you're frequently backing up/syncing to it, and only store your most frequently used files locally - thus even 64GB should be plenty for that purpose.

17. Hater

Hater Member

I have all of my music local.... and all of it is backed up to the "cloud". :Pirate:

Between home WiFi and work WiFi, keeping music locally enables me to get away with a 1.5GB data plan monthly. It's good as it keeps me from using my phone too much when out 'n about, I have a work phone for the essential stuff like meetings

18. Zee

Zee Member

I'm not arguing for the poor. There are plenty of cashed up folk in SE Asia - probably far more than rich Aussies. I see stupidly expensive cars multiple times a day in our Manila suburb, I live and work in some of the wealthiest suburbs in Sydney, and it's nothing like the same.

Being rich doesn't mean you have good internet, though. Our own NBN being a case in point...

Z...

MR CHILLED likes this.
  19. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Because Apple decided to ditch the 128GB option (sweet spot imo) and 64GB is only just enough. So most people are forced to go 256GB. It's not like anyone really needs 256GB or more.

Actually the Plus size phones have a bigger screen than the X. The X is longer but the Plus is wider, which is actually more usable.

I'm still rocking my 6S+ and iOS12 made it faster so I might keep it for another year. The XS and XS Max are too expensive and the XR is not what I'd call a real upgrade. Lower pixel density (326 ppi in 2018? 6S+ has 401ppi), single camera (again, in 2018? Unless it's as good as the Pixel 2's, which I doubt), no 3D touch (which I still use). It might be an upgrade for those using a non-plus 6/6S/7 but not a Plus.

nav likes this.
  20. Zee

Zee Member

Actually, I 100% agree with 128. My phone is loaded with everything I need, a boatload of images and vids, and uncompressed music music, and it sits at about 85GB. I suspect they skipped 128GB for exactly this reason, it gave them an excuse for a higher price jump...

64GB works fine for my iPad, as no vids/pics are stored on it, just files for Sketchup, Omnigraffle and a boatload of PDF's for various jobs.

Z...