1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone XR/XS/XS Max

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Oh jesus... not all people buy phone from apple. I'm done, I'll let myself out.

2. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Which would not be particularly relevant to things like app launch times, video encoding, etc. which are not screen resolution-dependent. If you're gaming on the phone, yes it may be faster in the future. But then the trade-off is that you're gaming on arguably a less attractive screen, compared to a higher res OLED.

RAM - I doubt the RAM difference will reduce the XR's practical performance; 3GB vs. 4GB is hardly likely to throttle phone apps for quite some time.

3D Touch - It's very handy when combined with haptic feedback, because it gives the screen the feel of a tactile button press. The buttons on the control center screen for example (torch, camera) all become very similar to actual raised buttons with 3D Touch + haptic feedback.

Single camera - Given most people now use their phone as their primary, if not only, camera, having a high quality dual camera system vs. a lower spec single camera can provide a noticeable benefit.

LCD/PPI - Once you go OLED, you can never go back :) A high-PPI OLED screen is a luxury not a necessity, but why skimp on the screen of all things on a mobile device which is 90% screen, if you're already paying these sort of prices?

Ultimately, it's a strange argument you're making. On the one hand, you suggest that nothing justifies the price of the new iPhones - and I agree that $1,300 as an entry price into the iPhone range is getting ridiculous; but on the other hand, you seem eager to readily dismiss quality features that might actually justify paying that much, in favour of the watered-down XR.

I see it this way: if you're going to accept the relatively high price of buying into the Apple ecosystem, pony up the dough for the better quality phone with the nice touches. Otherwise, buy a better-specced Android phone for the same price; or if you're on a budget and just want a phone, buy a cheap Android. The XR doesn't really fit anywhere into these scenarios, combining higher price with lower quality.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  3. Hater

Hater Member

Show me these outright iPhone X's being sold by Telstra please

4. Hater

Hater Member

It wasn't an argument, it was an opinion - Especially on things like 3D Touch, even Apple are moving away from it. Everyone has different criteria for what they want in a phone, and for me, dual lens cameras and OLED screens are definite "meh" options.

I do want all the RAM I can get my hands on though, and do prefer stainless over aluminium. (6S vs. X)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  5. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Not only can you still buy a brand new X, they're going at very cheap prices on ebay from legitimate bricks-and-mortar phone outlets who are flush with recent AU stock (my X has an August 2018 production date). When combined with ebay discount codes, these can be had for $1,200 or less. In fact, some people are taking the ebay sales to Officeworks and getting them to price match + Officework's 5% off, resulting in a ~$1,100 iPhone X. Why anybody would opt for an otherwise lower-specced iPhone XR at $200 more just because of the A12 chip is beyond me. There's a reason why Apple discontinued the X after only one year, precisely because it would have cannibalised XR and XS sales had they kept it and discounted it.

Your call if you prioritise RAM over OLED; In my opinion 3GB of RAM is plenty for the next couple of years, I prefer the more immediate and tangible benefits of OLED and a better camera.

As for your 6S vs. X comment, not sure what you're referring to... The X/XS have "surgical grade" (whatever that means) stainless steel bands not aluminium.

MR CHILLED and Arctic_Silver08 like this.
  6. Hater

Hater Member

Yes, the X has a stainless steel band and the 6S is made of aluminium. I prefer the SS.

You're talking as if the older cameras are really bad or something, they're not. The new ones may be better in online comparisons but that's about all you'll notice.

OLED looks better yep, but again in every day usage it's really not something I care about, it's a phone not a movie cinema. It's not like the jump from 3GS to 4 with Retina

7. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

Xs and Xs Max both have 4gb of ram.

I jumped on board the Xs from a ip8 (which gets passed down to my SO)

My hands are constantly dirty at work and the touch ID works only 20-50% of the time.

Will faceid be any better? Probably not but ill find another way to justify throwing away money.

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I never said older phones are bad :) The real issue here is that if you've made the decision to spend big bucks to upgrade to the new generation of iPhones with the bezel-less displays and FaceID, which one gives the best bang for your buck. It's partly subjective, partly objective. In my opinion, the A12 in the XR does not justify the loss of some very nice touches, at its current price point. The X and the XS are the better options at a lower and higher price point respectively.

For me it was a no-brainer, because aside from wanting OLED and the other touches we've talked about, I didn't want the extra physical size of the XR. Going from my ancient 6 to an X resulted in a barely noticeable size increase; going from a 6/7/8 non-plus series to the XR adds too much size for me - 14mm extra height and 6.5mm extra width which I don't want or need (6 on the left, XR on the right):

Untitled.jpg

I find FaceID extremely impressive. It works in the dark, it works at angles, it just works. You start to forget that your phone needs to be unlocked. The limiting factor with FaceID is the time it takes to swipe up to go from the lock screen to the home screen. It'd be nice if Apple provided the option to unlock straight to the home screen, but I suppose they want the extra step so that people don't miss any notifications on the lock screen.

Generally, with the speed of iOS 12, FaceID is pretty much instantaneous if you start swiping upward as you raise your phone - it unlocks by the time you've finish swiping upwards. And that's with the attention aware feature turned on - which provides security benefits as well as allowing the phone to dim the screen more quickly if it notices that you're not looking at it.

Anyway, I think the big issue this year, and the cause of most debates, isn't really Apple's hardware. It's the fact that they've raised the entry price so much. In that regard, I absolutely agree with anyone who's pissed off about it. If these phones were half their current price, we'd all be raving about each and every one of them, even the XR.

9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

It was only a matter of time before a fault was found with the new phones (it happens every year). This year it's a flaw in the way some XS/XS Max phones appear not to charge:

Not good for something this expensive, especially if Apple has to instigate a recall.

10. Zippy7

Zippy7 Member

I stumbled across that video by accident. It does sound more like a software fault rather than a hardware fault - like it could be more vulnerable to this issue under certain conditions.
    I suppose you can activate your screen then plug it in and see what happens (as opposed to plugging in when the screen is off).
    Time will tell

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Not sure whether it's hardware or software yet, however I'm sure Apple will resolve this ASAP to their customers' satisfaction given the damage it could do to sales.

But I will say this: if you're an XS owner, don't visit the Macrumors iPhone forums. That way lies madness. Apparently everything from the screen tint, to the speakers, to video playback, the battery life and reception are problematic on the XS! The signal to noise ratio has dropped so low that it's become virtually impossible to discern fact from fiction when it comes to Apple product faults

12. birdie

birdie Member

Just ordered a black 64GB XS Max :) upgrading from my iPhone 8+ (which I bought second hand earlier this year), going to give the 8+ to my wife who dropped her 8+ within a month or so of getting hers at the start of the year.

Decided 64gb is plenty as we have the 2TB iCloud plan and all our photos are backed up there so no need for tonnes of local storage, only using about 32gb or so of my 8+... Also just went with the smallest Optus plan as I will pool the data from my iPad Pro which i got with Optus earlier this year which has 100gb of data... Also now that i'm switching from Woolworths Mobile to Optus i'll be able to use the Cellular part of my Series 3 Apple Watch finally :)

13. Hater

Hater Member

Macrumours is hilarious. I got banned for "calling someone a liar", after stating that anecdotal evidence isn't proof of anything

14. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Do you have proof that this story really happened, or do we just take your word for it? :D

Good news for XS owners, it appears that iOS 12.1 beta 2 fixes the charging issue:

15. power

power Member

Yay basic functionality restored.

16. Zee

Zee Member

For the life of me, I do wonder why there is no fingerprint scanner on the new phones, I know, I know, Face ID, but nothing would be more annoying than having to hold your phone pointed to your face so you can then do Apple Pay. The Apple Logo strikes me as the perfect way to have a fingerprint scanner on the back of the device.

Z...

17. power

power Member

yeah i have both on my device touch and face but prefer touch for most interactions.

hopefully they change their tune next model but you know prolly won't apple are stubborn like that - and i bet they are saving a fortune.

18. Zee

Zee Member

We can hope. I know they were working on getting fingerprint scanners to work beneath their screens, though I suspect once Face ID was implemented, they figured they'd save the cash.

I'd still love to see an IP5/s/se sized "X" at about the $1k mark (let's call it $999).

Z...

19. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

FaceID isn't that clumsy; you don't have to quite hold your phone "pointed at your face" :) If you have Raise to Wake on, you just raise the phone towards you at a normal distance while looking down at it and it wakes, unlocks/authenticates. If you disable the Attention Aware feature, you don't even need to be looking at it to have it unlock.

In any case, there would be few occasions where you're going to want to unlock your phone without looking at it and/or it being in camera range of your head - at minimum you'd want to glance at the screen to at least confirm that the transaction details are correct.

I was a bit skeptical of FaceID myself, but as of iOS 12 it really does work well in a natural way, at least for me. I've only scanned my face in once, and it's been hassle-free so far. I don't find myself explicitly holding the phone up to my face in an attempt to trigger FaceID.

Apple doesn't really innovate anymore, but they do refine, and FaceID shows that refinement.

The downside is that they also tend to steer technology in self-serving directions because of their market dominance, and in this case, they're deliberately steering away from TouchID not just because it's less secure, but because it doesn't suit their bezel-less screen and they don't want the extra cost of trying to incorporate a TouchID sensor into a phone that's already jam-packed with intricately-connected hardware:

Untitled.jpg

20. Zee

Zee Member

I can certainly see your point,I guess I tend to use Apple Pay in a certain way, that being that I can usually see the price, I hold my phone out and click/scan in the same motion, the camera is looking at the ceiling, so no way to get a face ID with that motion. I usually look at the screen after the transaction to confirm the amount (Amex sends an alert within a couple of seconds of the scan).

Anyway, it doesn't affect me at this stage, I suspect it'll be a little while yet before my next iPhone, the 6S is serving well, and apart form needing a new battery, iOS12 seems to have made it better.

Glad I skipped 11!

Z...