iPhones in a business environment

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by GiantGuineaPig, Aug 24, 2009.

1. GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Hi,
    Thought I'd start a thread about this one. Looks like we're going to start to give iPhones out to people who want them alongside people who want BlackBerrys.

Has anyone looked after a fleet of iPhones? I'm going to start researching but I've heard there's some new decent ways of managing a fleet (I'm only talking very small numbers personally).

Any suggestions/tips/etc for setups, anything that should be enabled/disabled? Exchange 2007 backend.

Thanks

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Assuming you're aware of the obvious gaping holes in the iPhone's security features - and the complete lack of remote device control from your enterprise.

Treat them like any old standard Winmo device essentially.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

I was under the impression that iphones wouldn't connec tto an exchange account, not to mention the fact you can't lock them down, if they become lost your screwed as emails and contact details are kept on the phone, least with a BB you can wide the handset

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Here's a review which asked similar questions: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008...d-vs-iphone-3g-yeah-we-definitely-went-there/

Basic summary is that for corporate usage and email, the Blackberry is still the best solution.

5. kjoy064

kjoy064 Member

^^^^ it might be worth seeing if there is a corporate mobile me setup that you can get in case of lost iphones as you can delete entire phone^^^

6. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

I have a few people using them. Full exchange syncing, they are all quite happy with it. I still like my windows Mobile PDA though...:thumbup:

7. NSanity

NSanity Member

You're aware that it doesn't actually wipe the phone right?

8. cs-cam

cs-cam Member

I set up a couple of peoples iPhones to sync with our Exchange, it works fine. There's nothing sensitive they could have on there so if they lose their phone I'm not particularly concerned. I've got a mate who runs BES at his workplace though and can't say enough good things about it.

9. mrpats

mrpats Member

On a side note, before rolling them out make sure your senior management is aware of the security issues.

At the end of the day WHEN one of these devices goes missing, and it was the CIO's/CFO's/CEO's and they call you to tell you to wipe it or the like, and you tell them you can't because it was an iPhone. It will be your fault for not telling them sooner.

So tell them now, get them (or someone else with some responsiblity) to sign off on a memo stating they understand the risks with using these devices.

10. OP
    OP
    GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Interesting writeup here:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobilize/can-you-manage-iphone-blackberry-609?page=0,0&source=fssr

Can you manage an iPhone like a BlackBerry?

Running Exchange 2007 so will test the wipe function once I have my iPhone, the option is there in OWA though.

Edit: It wasn't avaiable at launch so that's probably why there's confusion around this.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  11. SuiCid3

SuiCid3 Member

OWA has a wipe remote device option.
    Never tried it though.

12. Brad2k4

Brad2k4 Member

To remote wipe (at least under exchange 2003) you need the mobile admin installed on your exchange server, then just login, look up the user, and wipe away!

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Not sure if its the same wipe as the MobileMe remote wipe - but if it is, all it does is "forget" the hash key - the link I provided says that all the data is still on the handset for "convenience" when the handset is found.

Yay Apple, Keep handing out that excellent level of security.

14. OP
    OP
    GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Found a good guide from Apple here:

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

It talks about taking an hour per 8gb for older devices, and I was reading about a guy who waited half an hour for a wipe then did a reset to brick his phone - so I would say it does more than forgetting the hash key if it takes that long?

15. sharkmutiny

sharkmutiny Member

Good thread to start, I have been resisting them every step of the way, however this has become a little hard to ignore now as our new CEO insisted on keeping hers... I now need to open my arms and acknowledge they exist!
    :rolleyes:

16. OP
    OP
    GiantGuineaPig

GiantGuineaPig Member

Same problem we had here, there was some good business reasons before, but as apple close the gap (apart from a lot of the security issues, which a lot of execs ignore even when recommended against) it's hard to give other reasons.

We already allowed other windows mobile devices, so why not iphones :|

17. exodushunter

exodushunter Member

Does it take like 40 mins to forget a Hash key??
    I remote wiped our first iPhone to test this feature before we gave them to some people and I found it better than the Windows Mobile Remote wipe...

18. Iceman

Iceman Member

"Remote wipe" is closing the gate after the horse has bolted. If you lose it it's unlikely to randomly fall into the hands of someone interested anyway. If it's stolen specifically for the information, they'll instantly remove the sim and your ability to control it and extract the data via other means.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

Again, giving Blackberry the upper hand (you can configure failed local password unlocks to trigger a remote wipe).

20. woj

woj Member

And you can do the same with an iPhone, 10 invalid pin attempts wipes the device.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009