iphones - security, deployment etc.

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by ra66it, May 21, 2012.

1. ra66it

ra66it Member

I've been asked to investigate moving from Blackberry to iphone. I use both, but have never had to manage iphones in the workplace. We currently run BES, so it nice and centralised - wiping a phone and resyncing remotely is great.

*Is it possible to route them via a proxy, or do they have direct internet access via the telco?
    *Management - I assume it involves installing itunes on a pc, and syncing 20 iphones to the one itunes ? How will this affect remote users?

And the security issues.......

Given that the users would not be permitted to purchase and install apps, I really don't see the advantage of moving to iphone at all. Of course the users want them, but probably don't realise how locked down the handsets would be, and just want them for vanity purposes.

I'd really appreciate feedback - both the good and bad !!

2. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Have a read of the iPad thread in this forum, should give you a few ideas about how to manage these issues.

3. OP
    OP
    ra66it

ra66it Member

Any particular thread? There are heaps of them

4. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

5. Gunna

Gunna Member

6. MikHail

MikHail Member

You'll need Mobile Device Management Software to lockout the Appstore or even lock it down to a Corporate Profile with the Apps you want on it

What I have used as a end user, its like a Sandbox for Corporate use

The software that did it was Symantec Mobile Device Management

http://www.symantec.com/products/screenshots.jsp?pcid=pcat_infrastruct_op&pvid=mobile_management_1

Because I only experienced it as a end user, I'm going to assume it required the Symantec App which syncs with the MDM Server to pull the Corporate profile onto the device and overtake the device as though you have branded your own iOS

This can be locked with Corporate Profile only, ie no Appstore, corporate background, restrict apps to only PDF expert, email, etc

or Tandem Profiles
    For Bring your own device Personal use and Corporate use,

data in the sandbox is encrypted and also since its controlled by MDM can be remotely wiped

An Alternate Mobile Device Manager is Airwatch www.air-watch.com never played with it but it has been posted on the forums before, but its an mature product over Symantec's MDM

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. RIO_t

RIO_t Member

We use McAfee EMM. Works well as an end user

8. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

We use AirWatch. It's pretty much app-less on the phone itself, just installs a bunch of profiles that defines your restrictions and settings. Of course, you can install the AirWatch app but all this really does is give you the ability to GPS track (assuming they don't disable it in Location Services) and the ability to send messages to devices.

I'm assuming the other products offer this too, but it's also allowed us to enable people to bring their own devices as we can use it to wipe all company related settings and services off the phone while leaving everything else intact should we need to.

Out of curiosity, why would are you going to be restricting the installation of apps?

9. b00n

b00n Member

10. thanhd

thanhd Member

Anyone have a rough idea on sophos cost?

11. b00n

b00n Member

$45 YR
    $65 2YRS
    $85 3YRS
    $105 4YRS
    $125 5YRS

is per device, i dont have contact details of vic rep only brisbane if you want that info. should be cheaper if you have email, web and av with these guys

12. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

MobileIron will smash that pricing - PM me for contact details of our rep.

13. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

Symantec MDM :thumbup:

I just had it installed.

14. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

Jamf Casper massive :thumbup: from me.
    Has a nice self service feature too.