Ipod issues..

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by *fergs*, Aug 15, 2011.

1. *fergs*

*fergs* Member

I have a mates Ipod Classic I think it is.

160 GB & it got "damp" ( to what degree i'm not sure )

It doesn't do anything but a slight flash/pulse of the screen when using a USB cable , BUT will power up properly on mains power cable OR from the Firewire cable onto my PC.

It doesnt detect or try to sync under Windows 7 / XP OR start / detect in itunes & I want to get all the music off it before trying to do any fixing..

ANY IDEAS ????

thanks all ( then I will look for someone to do a battery swap & see if it still works )

** Please move if in wrong forum **

2. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Pull it apart - you'll need to run your fingernail around the edge to unlock the pins and the back will come off. iFixit.com or something like that will show you in more detail.

Sounds like mine when it got water in it and died. Get the hard drive out while you can and it might be useful for something else :)

3. OP
    OP
    *fergs*

*fergs* Member

Yeah ok..

I just dont understand why it will charge the ipod & still play music , BUT not detect / sync either in itunes or as an external drive under 7 or XP..

4. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Wait. It still plays music? Weird.

Probably the USB interface stuff's busted.

5. OP
    OP
    *fergs*

*fergs* Member

Sure does..

thats why I thought I still had a chance to rip the tunes off it...:upset:

6. Yaleman

Yaleman Member

Yeah, that's why I said rip the HDD out of it and see if you can get the data directly...

7. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

It just looks like a faulty battery. If it is able to power up through the mains, then this is most likely the case.

If you want you can buy a replacement battery online and replace it yourself (it's pretty easier).

Otherwise, open it up and use it for parts. :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    *fergs*

*fergs* Member

IF the battery was the only issue , I think it still should be able to sync & rip the tunes back off it though !!!

BUT , I'm no Apple luvin geek so dont know the in's & out's of how these work... :D

after a while of being powered up , it shows that the battery is "charged" ( but it isnt really )

9. gumdrops2006

gumdrops2006 Member

Interesting. It is possible that the iPod is not able to be powered up fully through the USB connection, hence it is not detected on the computer.

Best thing to do is to change the battery. :thumbup: