IPv6 - where are you up to?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Gecko, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Gecko

Gecko Member

With all of the doom and gloom of running out of IPv4 addresses (see Slashdot etc for the last few months) - where are you up to with your IPv6 implementation?

At this stage, neither of our ISPs have ANY support for it, struggling to get management support - already in NAT hell over here with 2 or 3 servers hiding behind each of our public IPs (we have ~10 IPs at the moment), looks like we're going to need another 50 or so public addresses in the next couple of years etc etc. I foresee much pain in my future.

2. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Reminds me.. an admin left the organisation and can still make changes to our maintainer..

I have been telling the guys here about IPv6 but they think its snakeoil...

Anyone know how much it costs for a standard range?

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

IPv6 is banned by our security policy! :lol:

Given that it takes 3+ years for policies to get reviewed, it sort of tells you where we're at. :)

I want it for internal storage - IPv6 supports some ludicrous MTUs.

4. Glide

Glide Member

hasnt even come up. Although some of our products need ipv6 so I think we have it in a lab

5. azron

azron Member

Elvis, maybe you do, maybe you don't... but assuming that some part of the company you're involved in uses Windows Server (specifically 2008 server and above) - do you actively disable/remove any IPv6 functions in these OSes?

Also, do you know if your Exchange admins (again, assuming this is used somewhere, and specifically version 2010) have supressed the default IPV6 stuff within it?

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

By policy all IPv6 stuff must be disabled and/or removed.

We've been doing this as part of our build policy for both HP-UX and RHEL. I'd assume the Windows admins do the same for their 2k8 rollouts (if they didn't, Security would go and jump up and down on their heads post biannual audit).

7. OP
    OP
    Gecko

Gecko Member

If my memory is correct, if you have anything bigger than a /24 of IPv4, they'll give you a block of IPv6 for free.

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

IPv6 should be free for all, there's so much of it.

Then in 40 years, we'll start NATing again waiting for IPv8's inevitable but glacial implementation :lol:

9. Iceman

Iceman Member

Like 99% of people I'd imagine. Nowhere, not interested and some of the kit on the network has no support for it.

Plus it's way easier to remember my DNS is on 10.9.1.1 than 2001:0db8:3c4d:0015:0000:0000:abcd:ef12

10. nimmers

nimmers Member

I got the mail from APNIC yesterday saying that BOGON lists are no longer effective since they are assigning:

* 1.0.0.0/8
    * 14.0.0.0/8
    * 27.0.0.0/8
    * 49.0.0.0/8
    * 101.0.0.0/8
    * 223.0.0.0/8

Its only a matter of time before people get forced into it....

11. JoJoker

JoJoker (Banned or Deleted)

None of this makes sense to me haha. Link to explanations? :3

12. ewok85

ewok85 Member

13. ruro

ruro Member

Not even being considered. Every now and then someone from another team comes around talks about how great IPv6 is and when are we switching to it, and I get to remind them about all the legacy business applications that would probably explode because some awesome internal application developer hard coded an IP address somewhere.

14. nimmers

nimmers Member

And thats part of the problem..... no business applications running ipv4 will explode at all, they just continue to run ipv4 the way they always did.

15. Ezy2Confuze

Ezy2Confuze Member

We are not looking at this until at least 2 months after we move to new premises in March 2011. However that doesn't mean we haven't done some of our homework.

Our Canon MFP's are already compliant, our Cisco equipment is nice and shiny new and ready to go, our Servers are predominantly 2003 and being transitioned to 2008 - which should all be finished around Christmas time - we are in the midst of building our new Windows 7 SOE for our Win7 / Office 2010 roll-out and our Exhcnage 2010 Server will be up and in production this Friday.

So the only problems we can see will be at Telstra & NextGen's end.

16. DeVo

DeVo Member

My prediction: I doubt we'll see many enterprises in Australia with IPv6 deployments within the next 10 years at least.

Service providers are a different story.

In the end, a typical enterprise doesn't need that many publicly routable IP addresses and moving to IPv6 across the enterprise (to the desktop/printer/server level) just won’t give them any benefit at all. In fact, as others have pointed out, plenty of legacy applications/hardware will break and there are still obvious knowledge gaps in many IT employees which isn’t helping the situation either.

That said, I work for an ISP and we have an IPv6 strategy in place and we are starting to deploy it in certain areas, but there is no real driver even for us yet and there are still too many road-blocks.

17. cvidler

cvidler Member

I think there's a mandate for Federal government departments to be IPv6 by 2013. Minutes after my post previously, I was called into a meeting with one such department that plans to be cut over by early 2011.

18. cs-cam

cs-cam Member

Well and truly implemented, has been for a very long time :thumbup:

You're still allowed to statically assign addresses in v6. How's 2001:db8:1::53 sound? And 2001:db8:1::80 for your HTTP server etc.

19. DeVo

DeVo Member

Can I ask what sort of organisation you work for and to what level has your implementation gone to?

20. itsmydamnation

itsmydamnation Member

who:? ACMA:?