iRacing

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by aXLe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. millen

millen Member

Yeah, Skippy is great fun, and also great for learning the iRacing physics. :D well it used to be.

I have been thinking of getting back into doing some Skippy racing myself actually.

2. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

How much would I need to buy to run weekly? Is it all on the Free tracks? Do races around our time get decent numbers?

3. solid_snake

solid_snake Member

The Skip Barber series usually only has 2-3 free tracks, the rest are all paid. Its the third most popular Road series according to https://www.iracingstats.com/ so theres plenty of participation, I personally have never been in a race that has not gone official.

Edit: I believe the end of season maintenance is coming up soon and while the servers are down you can test drive any of the cars, even ones you don't own. Might be a good idea to test drive the Skippy and see if its for you?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  4. Will S

Will S Member

the best and easiest car to drive is the Pro Mazda but with all the new open wheelers in the last few years particpation took a big heap and it had very plain and dated dash but I actually found that the way to go

you can adjust it to your driving style as it has quite a few adjustments

5. summoner

summoner Member

488GT3 Fixed and Lime Rock.. loving it!

Finally got my first road course win end of last week when i was home early from work and figured I'd jump in.. not a particularly strong SOF but I kept my nose clean and avoided accidents and just did what I had to and managed to take a victory. A great feeling. Probably be my only win for a while but I made sure to save the replay so I can watch it every so often.

Coopz likes this.
  6. Coopz

Coopz Member

That's why I stopped playing, the Devs kept releasing too many cars, not enough players so classes like the Lotus F1 and Pro Mazda went from having 40-60 per race to 4-10.. Also the worthless Aussie dollar mad it pretty expensive.

millen likes this.
  7. anthonyl

anthonyl Member

Same here.. too expensive now ... Assetto Corsa Competizione is where I am right now.

Coopz likes this.
  8. Will S

Will S Member

Its expensive for new users but if you have been there for over 4 years you own much of the content and with cash back for series completed it works out pretty reasonable. Still I have left because I tend to butt heads with iRacing staff and am now learning F1@2019 and driving the tracks as per real F1 schedule. Still have not gone close to getting the same fun as a lap of the Nurb in the Pro Mazda..........and you do meet some good people, very good and helpful meeting.........I think its about a 20 to 1 ratio of good to dickheads excluding staff

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've been racing in the Rookie Mazda's and the Rookie Street Stock Ovals, as well as the Pickup cup.

I'm surprised at how intense Oval racing is, if you can luck into a race that doesn't wreck on the first lap, driving lap after lap, nose to tail or 3 wide, with a bunch of other drivers doing the same, It's a great feeling.

10. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

I finally signed up a few weeks ago. Have my mid-D road license & have largely learnt to avoid the muppets. Been racing skippys but decided there are a few tracks i don't want so skipping(lolpuns) a few rounds in the current series (like this week). MX-5 cup cars were fun but i only got to race one week before getting my D license, then it wouldn't let me race in the series anymore as there's no D grade series for MX5s.

I had one win in MX5s. Likely would've been up there for the other two as well if not for being taken out by rookies.

Skips are barrels of fun. Have had a couple of 2nd places. Prob could've won one of them if not for erratic backmarkers / backmarkers who think they should be racing you when you're lapping them.

fwiw i think the FFB & tyre modelling in iRacing is the best of any sim I've played. Went back to ACC this week for a spin and the FFB isn't as good. I had though ACC delivered great feeling of grip with its tyre model + FFB, though iRacing is even better. Going back to normal AC is even harder - feels like driving on ice with a lot of cars.

11. solid_snake

solid_snake Member

Anyone had any experience with CST F1 Pedals? Found someone locally selling them for $300 and cant decide if I should buy them or save up for the Fanatec CSP v3s.

12. summoner

summoner Member

I have the Fanatecs.. and haven't used them yet even after a few months because my ancient playseat doesn't have a mount to suit and I've been far to lay to measure up and mock up a template so mate can fab me up a replacement pedal mount haha.

13. mojododo

mojododo Member

Have owned both, the CST f1s though old will feel better than the fana v3's brake squooshy feel, as long as they have held up well over the years (they would be 8+ years old now)

14. summoner

summoner Member

I heard the brake performance kit helps the v3's feel a lot.. I have those in a box waiting to go in for when I finally start using them.

15. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

You can still race the mx-5 global cup at any license level.

Also any teams going for first timeslot of petit leman?

16. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

how? I tried and it says I'm not eligible

17. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Global Mazda mx-5 cup or advanced Mazda mx-5 cup?

Cos if you're ineligible for the global your account is completely stuffed or you've been banned

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Global MX-5 at Laguna Seca this week, not Advanced at Lime Rock

19. FoxMaN

FoxMaN Member

Well if you're ineligible for global something is wrong with your account or you've been banned, check your spam folder or get in touch with the support staff

20. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

So I had filters on to hide ineligible & meets mpr. Turns out I'm too high mpr for MX5 Global. Apparently I should still be able to race (didn't let me last time I tried) but it won't count towards my license promotion.