1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

iRacing

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by aXLe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Caffeine Dealer

Caffeine Dealer Member

Welcome BACK Coops :)

I'm also trying to make my way back but keep hitting hardware hurdles. My old 1155 setup seems to not want to boot so I need to pull it all down and set it up non some cardboard.
    I finally got a new GPU. A customer of mine handed me a GTX 970 4GB so no hold backs there.
    I also have a G920 but it seems that last time I moved, the main cord got squished and now bare wires are hanging out of it so I'll need to strip all that back and sleeve it. Might put a female to male USB in the middle of it as a sort of quick disconnect.
    So with a spare day on Sunday, I'm hoping to get all that sorted out and maybe even get some practice in. It won't be like the old days though. lol

Side note... messing around with Arduino again and am considering making my own direct drive wheel and load cell mod for the g920

2. JabTronic

JabTronic Member

Fabs (HouseChampion) bumped into me at the track last weekend which was a surprise, I met up with him back in 2016 to check out his setup when I was looking to build a direct drive setup. So yeah just checking in to see whats going on these days, after testing out Fab's old setup I now run something pretty similar most of the hardware was purchased second hand with a new PC build.. 8020 frame, Simucube small mige, HE ultimates, RTX 2080, HP Reverb VR. I also built the SFX-100 motion setup for it which was a painfully long 3d printing process haha took 4 weeks on and off but I've found I don't use it too often with VR as the head movements over curbs etc make it difficult to really concentrate.

Anyway these days don't play much iRacing at all the sim is mostly used for practice for real races my boss races a GT3 car and I'm his team mechanic and simulator guy, most of the tracks we race are on rfactor2. I've just started getting into Assetto Corsa Competizione lately (along with everyone else it seems) and don't think I'll be playing much iRacing anymore unless they can really increase the tyre realism.

3. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

Hey Jarrad! Was cool to bump into you at QR. Was hard to really watch much with my 2yo in tow though lol. How did you go in your races?

How much did the SFX-100 setup set you back? Wonder if it's doable in VR at all (a workaround for how tracking would be affected etc).

4. JabTronic

JabTronic Member

Yeah went well in last 2x races actually did my quickest times of all weekend on the damp track, ended up 2nd in my class.

SFX-100 is definitely doable in VR I use it often just maybe I need to dial the intensity down a little so the VR movement doesn't jitter so much over rough curbs. Welcome to come check it out sometime.

Rough costs for the SFX-100 looking at the old invoices:
    $400 ($254 USD) ballscrews, linear bearings, couplings etc from China
    $830 AUD 4x motors and controllers from Aliexpress
    $475 (280 EURO) for 100x100 extrusion and nuts/bolts from Germany
    $100 AUD for other stuff, arduino, stop button etc
    +3d printer
    So yeah around $1800, or $2k including the 3d printer.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  5. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

Nice! Thanks for the breakdown. I believe Beano is doing an SFX-100 setup actually :)

What other motion options have you tried/compared it to?

6. JabTronic

JabTronic Member

None, to be honest I haven't spent much time setting it up either, I haven't really had time. There is an official SFX-100 Discord server which I signed up to where people post their setup profiles for different games and I have been using those. What surprised me the most when I first started using it was that there isn't as much fore/aft and side movement as I was expecting. Where I expected it to "lean" into banked corners etc it usually does the opposite, and I expected it to have more pronounced braking movement, it does tilt forwards somewhat but I thought there would be more use of the travel. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though as like I said I haven't really mucked around with it so far.

7. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

Fair enough. No doubt there's a bunch of settings to change if you wanna use more travel. I feel like more subtle movement would probably be fine though?

Would love to give it a go! Sounds like a very reasonable way to get into motion.

8. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

The new Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 is fun to drive

9. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

Yeah I've done a few laps/week 13 races in it. I'm super slow atm but it is fun for sure!

10. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

If anyone reads this and is going to look at doing an SFX-100 build, send me a message as I will have a bunch of spare bits to make a few SFX-100 Shields (minimum order for the PCB's was 5, so I also ordered enough components from digikey to make 5 shields).

Nuno lo and Dave Hughes like this.
  11. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

How much did one of these setups cost?

12. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

Around $2.5k - I already have a 3D printer though

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  13. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Ah ok, how many components need to be 3D printed? I have no idea about printing so what would you guess the printing costs would be for me to outsource it?

Also could you send me a purchase link for the SFX package I think i must be retarded cos I can't find where on their site to buy it

14. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

There's no SFX package. It's literally all sourced from various places, put together yourself. There's 24 or 28 pieces that need 3D printing (16 of which each take approx 24hrs to print). Not sure about costs to print - it's something you'd have to take the files (local library? university? some place online?) and get quotes. I could also do it. It's maybe $75 worth of filament, and 2 weeks of non-stop printing.

edit: some links that may be helpful

https://opensfx.com/2019/02/20/welcome-to-our-new-site/
    https://www.rowanhick.com/2019/01/10/sfx-100-review-the-osw-of-motion-sim-platforms
    http://www.bogdanberg.com/2020/03/06/diy-motion-simulator-part-3-building-the-actuators/
    https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/the-simfeedback-ac-diy-motion-simulator-thread.159524/
    https://au-product.item24.com/en/pr...-1001042798/profile-10-100x100-natural-62456/ (this is a link to the alternative "ITEM24" profile that can be sourced locally - note that there are a few changes that need to be made in order to use this profile. Things like there's a couple modified 3D printed pieces, and a couple bolt size changes.

If you have any more questions just ask. I have a bit of a more updated list of places to buy for Aus people.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  15. HouseChampion

HouseChampion Member

Here's my current SFX-100 info guide for Aus builders. I have only just started my build though so things might need to change (or be added).

3D Printing

There’s 24 bits to 3D print (+ a few pieces to print for the SFX-100 Shield box) requiring just under 3kg of filament (PLA).

• 4x motor mount

• 4x linear bearing mount

• 4x fixed bearing mount

• 4x sliders

• 4x bump stop

• 4x feet
    I have been printing mine quite slowly, but there’s over 2 weeks worth of non-stop printing to be done.

100x100 Profile (ITEM24 Mod)

https://au-product.item24.com/en/pr...-1001042798/profile-10-100x100-natural-62456/

Need 4 of these, as well as approximately 16 T-nuts to attach them to brackets (and another set of T-nuts that fit onto your rig, assuming 8020)

They can tap these (M10), or you can DIY.

Cost: $330 + $77 or so for tapping. Plus T-nuts which are $2.75 each

Bearings, motors + drivers etc

This includes:

• 4x Ball screw and nut

• 4x FK12 ball screw support

• 4x Hollow shaft

• 4x Coupling

• 4x Linear bearing

• 4x Motors and drivers
    Contact Amy (skye@ntl-bearing.com)

I just sent an email like this:

Hi Amy

Can I please have a quote for what Simon ordered (I’m sure you have received many of these?). Details are:

4x 1605 Ball Screw and Nut – Length 250mm Machined

4x FK12 ball screw support

4x coupling 30-40-10*16 Diameter 30mm – Length 40mm

4x LMEK30UU(30*47*68) linear bearing

4x precision hollow shaft 30-20-270 30mm Diameter – 20mm Bore – 270mm Length. Bevel on both ends

NB: Amy replied offering to supply the 90ST-M02430 motors and AASD-15A drivers also,which works out cheaper than using Aliexpress (see comments below)

Cost: $1323 USD

NB: Motors can be sourced from Aliexpress but appears to be cheaper via Amy (Aliexpress shipping is maybe $200 more shipping)

Bolts

• 32x M10x40mm (note: assuming “ITEM24” profile)

• 16x M6x85mm or 90mm

• 16x M6x25mm

• 16x M4x25mm

• 24x M5x20mm (low profile??)
    • 32x M6 washers
    • I
    • I also grabbed 4x M3x20mm and 2x M3x8mm bolts and 12 nylon washers for bolting the sfx-shield to its case.
    • NB: Not necessarily required but I grabbed some M5 and M4 washers and spring washers as well.

SFX-Shield

• See video here to DIY an SFX-100 Shield
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_CGsrv2bc&t=

• PCB’s from here (min order of 5) - $10 or so
    https://jlcpcb.com/e?gclid=Cj0KCQjw...5vWnNaOokOfoCDmkUet9r4w4EMDGIr8kaAiyoEALw_wcB

• Components for PCB from Digikey (see links in the above video) - $60 or so, I ordered enough to make 5 lots, which cost a little more but got free shipping.

• Will also 3D print the SFX-100 Shield box (link to files in the video also)

• Arduino Leonardo ($29)
    https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/7617324/

Misc

O-Rings (eBay or local supplier?)

E-Stop

4x DB25 cables

4x power cables

Grease nipples (might not need as people have been receiving bearings with nipples attached??)

Some sort of case for the 4x motor drivers???

Grease (+ grease gun)

WD40 PTFE Spray

Assorted connections for power cables to motor drivers etc

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  16. Ap0c

Ap0c Member

Wow ok that's far more complex than I thought. Thanks heaps for the detailed info though

17. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Decided I couldn't put up with the cows mooing so much on whatsapp and have bought back in. Fanatec DD and an 8020 rig (cheers Richo).

I have ordered the fancy F1 rim but now need a GT/round rim. I found the BMW GT4 was too big when I had a CSW. Any other recommendations?

18. r8response

r8response Member

Jumped back in myself.. So much has changed in the 6 years since I raced.

G27 strapped to my desk :D

19. Lincoln_blitz

Lincoln_blitz Member

ohhh man. The old crew are coming back. Id should resub.......

20. Boneman

Boneman Member