Iran

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Danthemanz, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Danthemanz

Danthemanz Old School Admin

Last month i spent 3 weeks traveling around Iran with my girlfriend.
    Id backpacked in the Middle East before and had always wanted to make it to Iran after the things i heard from other travelers.
    Of the 50+ countries ive traveled through, Iran had the friendliest and most welcoming people.
    So many people speak English and i was stopped in the street 5 times a day just to say welcome or to offer to help and invite me to dinner.

Ive learnt you cant judge peoples by their political leaders, i know i certainly wouldnt want people doing that with Australia :tongue:

Here are some pics from the trip, mostly taken with my somewhat inconspicuous Olympus E-P5 and the amazing 12-40mm F2.8 zoom.

Im open to comments and questions on the pics and the trip.
    Some links for more pics at the bottom for anyone who is interested in the trip.

[​IMG]
    Iran, Yazd
    Olympus E-P5, Oly 12-40mm

[​IMG]
    Iran, Isfahan

[​IMG]
    Iran, Isfahan

[​IMG]
    Iran, Yazd
    Canon 700D, Canon 24-105L

[​IMG]
    Iran, Tehran

[​IMG]
    Iran
    Canon 700D, Canon 24-105L

[​IMG]
    Iran, Shiraz

[​IMG]
    Iran, Isfahan

[​IMG]
    Iran, Tehran

[​IMG]
    Iran, Isfahan

[​IMG]
    Iran, Shiraz
    Olympus E-P5, Pana 20mm 1.7

[​IMG]
    Iran, Shiraz

Few more shots here

Facebook album - Persia in 100 photos

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. simplelogik

simplelogik Member

I’ve always wanted to visit Iran after seeing Baraka especially to see Shah Cheragh Mosque but feel uneasy because of the political issues. When I was in Turkey I met some really friendly Iranians who assured me that Iran is safe and tourist friendly, one particular gentleman travelling with his young family asked a few questions about photography and after 30 mins of chatting he gave me his address in Iran so if I ever visit he’ll host me. I thought that was mighty generous of him. Although during the discussion he thought it was strange that there are Asians living in Australia :)

3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Absolutely stunning.

4. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Loving those shots of the markets in Tehran.

Sounds like you had a great time :D

How'd you like the 12-40?

5. OP
    OP
    Danthemanz

simplelogik, thats a perfect example of the average Iranian.
    I knew what to expect, but they simply blew me away with their hospitality.
    If you even have basic experience traveling its a really easy and safe place to visit. I cannot stress enough how safe it was.
    Everyone learns English in school and they love western TV and movies, everyone wants to practice their English. I even met a 5 year old girl who knew basic English pleasantries.
    I was literly mobbed on multiple occasions by groups of school girls, see below for my favorite "mobbing photo".

Thanks Kommandant33!

stenchlord, the markets and general street photography was great fun, so much to shoot. Much of it didnt make it into my absolute best ofs though. I never left the hotel without at least my P5 and Panny 20mm.

The 12-40mm greatly exceeded my expectations, so sharp wide open and so versatile.
    I truly love the lens, i hardly used my Oly 25mm at all.
    I wish i had more use for it, problem is back home ill be more tempted to use full frame or the Olympus with a prime. If you want something you can carry all day and cover 24-80mm with good DOF there is simply no other choice. Hats off to Olympus once again.
    I saw you sold yours, pity, but i understand, i might end up selling it at some point too, but i know as soon as i go away again ill miss it...

Mobbed by school girls

[​IMG]
    Iran, Shiraz
    Panasonic 20mm 1.7

More amazing mosaic work

[​IMG]
    Iran, Isfahan
    Oly 12-40mm

Crazy Tehran traffic
    [​IMG]Iran, Tehran

More architecture

[​IMG]Iran; Isfahan by Danielfranklin@gmail.com, on Flickr

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  6. ryn

ryn Member

These are truly amazing. Brought a sense of wonder and excitement browsing through them.

Thank you for sharing.

7. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Nice images. One of the places still on my visit list.

8. Konvul

Konvul Member

Nice images! I have long wanted to go to Iran, i've heard the people are beautiful in nature.

9. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

This is now on list of places to visit. I wish more traveled and could see how wonderful the world is when you get rid of politics.

10. Kujaroth

Kujaroth Member

Some great photos, certainly looks like an interesting place to visit.

11. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

*jaw drop*

Love these shots, incredible. My hat is off to you Sir.

12. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Spectacular photos!

13. sconosciuto

sconosciuto Member

Damn that brings back some memories. One of my favourite places in the world.

Nice set :)

14. Pixley

Pixley Member

Love them all, sounds like a really interesting place to visit!

15. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

Great set dude.

I work with an Iranian engineer at work and he is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He has such pride for his country from a beauty point of view too. As soon as he found out i was a landscape photographer he brought out books of the natural landscapes of Iran and just talks about the place in a way ive never experienced someone talk about a place.

Sad the preconceptions you can get about a place or a whole race of people just because of the way western media portrays them.

16. OP
    OP
    Danthemanz

Thanks for the response guys, im really happy you enjoyed them.

kryzak260, i also found them to be a very proud people and rightfully so.
    They are a different race, culture and for the most part religion than most of the world and no one seems to give them the time of day.

17. tompee

tompee Member

Beautiful pictures, and great to hear you had a good time there. All of the Iranians I have had anything to do with at uni were also cool people.

This highlights to me one aspect of the smaller world and multiculturalism that I *don't* like - the world is getting diluted into this one big monoculture where everywhere is different, but it's also kind of the same and getting more and more so. It's progress, but it does have a downside.

A place like this, that has been kind of isolated, is amazing. Not that I'd want to treat these people like they're in a zoo and expect them to stand still in time or anything, but for now it's amazing

18. kieran

kieran Member

That's so true Tompee..
    The Albert Kahn book of the BBC series brought this home big time for me. Some people have uploaded the series to youtube. Its fascinating. The clothes, customs, are all sooo different.
    These days, you could start in Czech Republic and hitch hike to Ireland and by looking at peoples clothes or general behaviour you wouldn't know you were in another country. Great celebrations of culture are still commonplace, but I can't help but feel they're in place to stop cultural decline into one homogeneous 'euro' personal identity in the era of the European Union.

19. therazza

therazza Member

longtime lurker in the gallery.. awesome photos. :thumbup:

you just re-sparked the travel bug, not sure it can happen with a 13 month old

20. Zee

Zee Member

Nice work - been wanting to go to Iran for a few years now, I've heard amazing things, and this just confirms it, yet again. Great shots, I'm even more determined to get my butt over there.

In fact, I've just cut and pasted your opening paragraph to my GF, along with a link to your pics, and we are looking at mid January...

Z...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014