Iron Chef Entries Only (No Discussion)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by mrs dan77, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Just to make things easier please post your entries in this thread.

Any discussion please post in the Rules & Discussion thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

My entry is:

Duck Mince in Potato Parcels with Perigeux Sauce

[​IMG]
    Raw ingredients: pepper, thyme, rosemary, duck breasts, swiss mushrooms, truffle carpaccio, garlic, shallots, kipfler potatoes, carrots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Making duck mince. Remove skin from breasts and reserve, then mince the breasts.

[​IMG]
    Mushrooms, shallots, and garlic diced and into the frypan with a splash of cognac.

[​IMG]
    ... add the duck mince and fried until just done. Then add thyme leaves and chopped rosemary.

[​IMG]
    Potatoes peeled, shaped, then sliced wafer thin with a Mandolin. Arranged in a pinwheel on some Glad Wrap.

[​IMG]
    Into the pinwheel goes the prepared stuffing ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ... and the potato parcel gets wrapped.

[​IMG]
    Glad Wrap is used to hold the parcel together. It goes into the freezer to firm it up a bit.

[​IMG]
    Fat from the skin (left) is rendered to make oil which is used to fry the potato parcels.

[​IMG]
    Demi-glace reducing down to create Perigeux sauce. Into the sauce goes some Madeira and truffles.

[​IMG]
    Finished and plated.

[​IMG]
    Cut in half to show filling. The potato parcels turned out pretty well - the truffles give a forest-y smell. The duck tasted OK, but it would probably have worked better if I made a sandwich with it (duck breast, duck mince, duck breast). The sauce is as it should be - thick, velvety, glossy (see the reflection of the potato parcel?), and with great depth of flavour.

The Perigeux sauce is very simple. First you start with the Demi-Glace:

- bloody big stock pot
    - 1 beef femur. Ask your butcher to saw it into 5cm chunks.
    - 2kg gravy beef, cut into 2cm cubes
    - 1kg chicken wings
    - 3 carrots
    - 3 celery stalks
    - 2 medium sized brown onions
    - 1 leek
    - 4 garlic cloves
    - 2 bay leaves, 10 sprigs thyme, 10 sprigs parsley, 5 sprigs rosemary - use a leek leaf and wrap then tie with kitchen string.

Arrange all the bones, meat, and chicken wings in a single layer on a roasting tray. Roast under high heat until nicely browned. Turn the meat over and continue roasting. All sides of the cube must be browned. You will run out of oven space, so do the roasting in batches.

Meanwhile, roughly chop all the veggies and garlic. Chuck it all into your pot and sweat until the veggies are clear. Then add water until 1/2way and bring to a quick boil.

Gradually add the meat as each batch finishes roasting. Keep topping up with water to cover the meat. When all the meat is in, fill with water till you reach the brim then bring to a gentle simmer.

Go away for 12 hours. Keep coming back to skim off rubbish that floats to the top.

Allow to cool then skim off all the fat from the top. Strain the mixture into another pot and bring to a fierce boil. Reduce stock mixture by 2/3'ds.

In the original pot, add more water until 1/2way. This is to extract even more goodness from the meat and veggies you have left. Simmer for another 4-5 hours, then strain into another pot. Discard the meat and bones, or bury them in your garden. It makes great fertilizer.

Add the herbs and boil for 2-3 hours. Then discard the herbs, and strain the stock from both pots into one pot. Keep removing scum and fat. Boil down the stock until it becomes velvety and just coats the back of a spoon.

Allow to cool and refrigerate.

---

To make the Perigeux sauce:

- 2 cups of demi-glace
    - 1/4 cup of Madeira ("Malmsey" in Australia)
    - a bit of truffle, finely chopped
    - 50gm butter

Add everything together except the butter and boil down until the right consistency (gelatinous and sticky, like the jus they serve in restaurants). Add the butter and stir. Serve immediately.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  3. patdaly

patdaly Member

(Iron Chef) Crocodile Cakes with Tequila & Lime Dipping Sauce

Hi All,

Following in Amfibius' footsteps, I present patdaly's

Crocodile Cakes with Tequila & Lime Dipping Sauce

Ingredients for Crocodile Cakes:

- Crocodile tail meat
    - Castor Sugar
    - Red curry paste
    - 1 egg
    - Plain flour
    - Red chili
    - Yellow chili
    - Coriander
    - Lime zest
    - Shallots
    - Tequila

[​IMG]

Ingredients for dipping sauce:

- Tequila
    - Triple Sec
    - Lime juice
    - Brown Sugar
    - Red chili

[​IMG]

Minced crocodile tail and chopped veges:

[​IMG]

Mixture in mixing bowl:

[​IMG]

Frypan with oil:

[​IMG]

And thats my only photos from making the cakes, I wanted to take some while they were frying, but its hard to make the cakes, put them in the hot oil, turn and take photos all at once so sorry but no photos of them cooking.

Sauce ingredients in saucepan (looks gross now, but will turn into a toffee of sorts and taste amazing):

[​IMG]

Sauce cooking:

[​IMG]

And the final product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a fair bit of spice in them, and after cooking the taste of the tequila is subtle not overpowering.

The lime, chili and tequila combine with the flesh of the crocodile to make a rollercoaster of flavours on your tastebuds as you bite into the crispy outside of the crocodile cakes.

ENJOY!

4. pugsley

pugsley Member

Home alone tonight and was looking through pics from my Thailand trip, got a bit nostalgic and decided to make something to remind me of my time there. I had been fishing on the weekend and picked up two salmon so i decided to make some fish cakes. As i was blending up the fish it clicked that i was making a meal with minced meat! So i present to you for entry....

Thai fish cakes

The Ingredients...

Click to view full size!

The 2 Salmon
    2 tbs of red curry paste
    1 egg
    5-6 beans (Meant to be snake beans but didnt have them handy so normal beans in this case)
    Thai seasoning (As i didnt have any lime leaves on hand)
    Scotch.

First things first... The scotch! :D

Click to view full size!

Blend the fish up to make a paste. I think i prefer the fish to be raw when its blended, this salmon was cooked yesterday, just baked in the oven with a little lemon juice and pepper.

Click to view full size!

Add the curry paste, egg and seasoning and blend

Click to view full size!

Then stir in the finely chopped beans.

Click to view full size!

Take the mixture outside to the deep fryer (As we dont have a exhaust fan in the kitchen... Why people build houses without them is beyond me :rolleyes:) and form into any shape you like really. Traditionally they are spread out into little pancakes but my mixture was a little runny for that so i shaped them with two spoons.

Click to view full size!

They are then fried until golden and served with chilli sauce (Sweet chilli in this case)

Click to view full size!

And a cross section, complete with my finger getting in the way of the flash :lol:

Click to view full size!

They brought back many a good memory from my time overseas. I had forgotten how fantastic their food is over there, even when half assed back home it still tastes amazing. Not as good as the little lady did it on her cart in the street. But good enough. :p

EDIT: Man i need to get a decent camera! :cool:

5. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

BobsYourUncle's Fried Wantons

First off, this almost didn't happen. I got engaged a few days ago, and have had other things going on, and had almost resigned to not entering since I'm not going away to visit family this weekend. I guess what I'm saying is, feel free to vote for me as an engagement present! :lol:

Ok, Ingredients:
    [​IMG]
    300g pork mince
    100g cooked prawn meat, minced
    1 cup diced wombok
    3 shallots, diced
    2 tsp ginger, finely diced
    2 tsp garlic, finely diced
    3 birdseye chillies, finely diced
    A good squirt of tube coriander, or a handful of finely diced fresh leaves (a possum keeps eating mine :upset:)
    1 tsp szechwan pepper, roasted in a dry pan and ground
    2 tsp sesame oil
    1 tbs soy sauce
    2 tsp chinese rice wine
    wanton skins

Mince the prawn meat and and dice the other spices/veggies, and combine in a mixing bowl with the sesame oil, soy sauce and rice wine. Mix well (get your hands dirty).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now spoon the mixture onto wanton skins, and brush water around the edges with a pastry brush. Bring the corners together and scrunch/twist to seal.

[​IMG]

Deep fry (at about 180-190) for a few minutes until golden, then eat. I like mine with sweet and sour sauce.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These things are delicious, very tasty.

Finally, a shameless close-up:
    [​IMG]

6. McMatt

McMatt Member

Minced Chicken With Chili & Thai Basil

Up until now there's been a very close theme to all the entries.. Not anymore! This is my entry, Asian stir-fry stylee. I started making this recipe a while ago after eating something similar at a Thai restaurant on Chapel St. It's quick, easy and very, very tasty. Tastes much better than it looks :)

The ingredients are:

600g chicken mince
    1 onion
    1 capsicum
    5 cloves garlic
    2-3 little red chilis
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    6 tbsp fish sauce
    2 tsp sugar
    1 bunch thai basil
    rice - go for basmati, the healthy choice.

All photos taken by my girlfriend on a shitty phone camera and resized in Paint :)

The Stuff
    [​IMG]

The Chilis (These ones were hotter than usual. Quite tangy indeed.)
    [​IMG]

Chopped Stuff
    [​IMG]

Now We're Cooking..
    [​IMG]

With Gas!
    [​IMG]

Enter the bird
    [​IMG]

Action shot of fish sauce
    [​IMG]

Add the basil right at the end
    [​IMG]

Crappy rice cooker + photographer shadow
    [​IMG]

Ready to go
    [​IMG]

Ready to eat
    [​IMG]

BONUS PIC: Banana, Sultana & Peanut Butter muffins cooked earlier in the day by the baker of the house.
    [​IMG]

7. glasnt

glasnt Member

Kangaroo

Kangaroo. Dame Edna sung like a roo really really well in "Napoleon". And when I go past the Monorail everyday, I can't help but be reminded of the little pup and his big journey out of the "big city" which happens to look like many places around Australia.

Anyway, this is a IRON CHEF THREAD.

THEREFORE

I CHEF

*throws on Chef Hat*

Today, ladles and gentlespoons, I give you my entry:

[​IMG]

Wait, what's that? What is that chicken doing there in your lovely title? I hear you stutter under your baited breath.

Well, my dear. I am going to be using Kangaroo and Chicken in this dish. And it's going to be awesome? How do I know this? Because I am currently sitting on my big arm chair with a content stomach as I write this to you, having recently consumed this extravagant meal. That's why.

Now, if I could have a bit of hush from the audience, I shall prepare my meal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have here, placed in front of us..

▪ Basil
    ▪ Moroccan Spice
    ▪ Peppercorns
    ▪ Chicken Stock Cube
    ▪ Garlic
    ▪ Paprika
    ▪ Onion
    ▪ Sun dried Tomatoes
    ▪ Cumin Seeds
    ▪ Kangaroo Fillet
    ▪ A post it note with 'glasnt ^_^' written on it
    ▪ Some left over Jarlsberg from the weeks lunches
    ▪ A snap lock bag with some noodle cakes that I found in the back of the cupboard

Not pictured are out pastry and egg, as they were still in makeup when the cast photo was taken.

[​IMG]

Spices will play a large role in this meal, as for those of you that have tried Kangaroo before, it is quite strong in flavour. What we're preparing here embraces that strength and uses it to our advantage.

[​IMG]

PREHEAT OVEN TO 180ºC! Otherwise you will be waiting for your oven to heat and the pastry will do soft and and and.. :(

[​IMG]

Firstly, let's mince our meat. Yelling Xena war-cries does make the continuous cutting a bit more enjoyable, but please make sure that there are no loved ones within ear shot, they may worry.

[​IMG]

Next, dice your onion nice and finely. I recommend going parallel to the ends of the onion, as this gives you nice long strips that you can work more easily with later. Also, a solid pair of professional grade goggles helps protect your eyes from the acid that may be emitted from your vegetable.

[​IMG]

Now we add some noodles. Usually when I make sausage rolls, I use my mother's recipe and add in a packet of chicken noodle soup mix. This gives chicken flavour and adds the lovely noodles that made the rolls all that more nice. However, since the shops have only just opened this afternoon, and one may have forgotten to buy the noodles in the race to the shops yesterday afternoon. Therefore, I substitute with a handful of noodles and a cube of chickenstock.

Add in your sundried tomatoes too, chopped finely.

Step Eleventy - Spices. Add your spices however you want. I like a little bit of everything (no chilli in this one though). You can add chilli if you want, but I really couldn't be bothered.

OUR MINCE MIX IS DONE!

TO THE PASTRY!

[​IMG]

I like using pastry. It's all fluffly and stuff when it gets cooked. And you can get it nice and brown if you brush it with a bit of egg wash before placing in the oven. Therefore, we need an egg.

[​IMG]

Good morning Mr. Egg! My, don't you look happy this morning!

[​IMG]
    What's that, you say? That's a bowl that you, my little egg-washing buddy, are going to go into.

[​IMG]
    Now now, Mr. Egg. Don't look at me like that. You know this day would come one day. I'm sorry you didn't get to be omeletted like you always wanted... but.. *sniff* this is the way it has to be... goodbye Mr. Egg.

[​IMG]
    *sniff*

[​IMG]
    He's gone to a better place. :(

To the pastry

[​IMG]

I've placed a few thin strips of jalsberg down onto the pastry, which I will then cover with the mince mix.

[​IMG]

Rolling up the sides of the roll doesn't quite work, so I've made a little hat for him ^_^

[​IMG]
    Cut into quarters, and place in your lined oven dish.

[​IMG]
    Brush with egg-wash, and sprinkle with cumin seeds. Sesame works good too, but we didn't have any.

Place in the oven in the middle rack, and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden and cooked through.

What about our leftover egg wash?

Well, he got his wish.

[​IMG]

He was zapped for 30 seconds in the microwave, and was turned into omelette.

[​IMG]

And added to an awesome stirfry that was reheated for eating. He tasted awesome. ;_;

30 minutes later, and our rolls are done!

[​IMG]
    Served with serving dish of tomato and bbq sauce, these delectable dipping delights will amaze the guests of your next party, or your fellow home inhabitants who will be grateful for a nice snack on a warm autumn afternoon.

[​IMG]

I'm not entirely sure how long these will store for, because I've never had any live for over half an hour after they've cooled down, they're that good :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

OCAU voted for meat, so I thought it fitting to make MANLOAF.

I had family come over for lunch today, I don't really have the money to cook up a nice steak for everyone, but I think I was able to substitute that meaty and filling taste with the mighty MANLOAF.

The main ingredients in this loaf are beef mince, bacon, tomato and mushroom.. The idea behind it is that the tomato and mushroom flavors will compliment and add to the existing meaty taste that you associate with traditional meatloaf.

PS. Sorry about the bad photo's, all I had was my mobile's camera. :(

Click to view full size!

First, you'll need to make a trip to the local pub for some beer to go with the manloaf.
    Oh, and ask the missus to pickup the following (Tasmanian viewers feel free to ask a sister).

Click to view full size!

• Mince - Any type of red meat works.
    • Middle Bacon
    • Mushrooms
    • Fresh/Tinned Tomato, or both
    • Tomato Paste
    • Onion
    • Chili Sauce (optional)
    • Cheese (optional)

Click to view full size!

We first start by getting all the lovely insides of the fresh tomato into one of those metal things. Hulk smash it (gently) with a wooden spoon till the majority of liquid is filtered through.

Click to view full size!

Chop up what you have left of the tomato, place in the metal thing, and sprinkle with a fair bit of salt.. Let it stand for about 15 minutes, and you'll notice a bit more juice will come out. Don't discard this tomato juice! It will be used to marinate with the mince.

Click to view full size!

Here we have the mince mixed with the tomato juice. The jelly type juice of the tomato is one of the many techniques Heston Blumenthal uses to enhance meat flavors. More information about his tomato sauce and how it enhances the meaty taste, can be found here.

Click to view full size!

Roughly chop up the Onion, fry until soft and translucent. Add the salted fresh tomato, cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until everything is soft. Add the tinned tomato, break it up using a wooden spoon.

Click to view full size!

Add the mushroom and let simmer on a slow heat until you have a thick sauce (About 30-45 minutes). The mushroom will release their juices and add another meaty flavor to the sauce.

Click to view full size!

This is what the finished sauce looks like, give it a bit of a taste. It's meant to be strong and reduced, don't worry if its a little salty, as it will get dulled down when we mix in the mince. Be sure to let this cool to room temperature.

Click to view full size!

Add the cooled tomato sauce to the meat, and give it a good stir.

Click to view full size!

I forgot to include breadcrumbs in the initial picture (all I had was lemon pepper breadcrumbs), they are mainly used to help bind the meatloaf together.

Click to view full size!

It should start to look something like this. Here you can add the chili sauce, or even the cheese. I have younglings over, so it's not going in this time :(.

Click to view full size!

Line some loaf pans with bacon. The oils from the bacon will add more flavor to our manloaf, as well as crisp up really nicely to form an awesome looking and tasting crust.

Click to view full size!

Fill with the meat mixture, be sure not to overfill.

Click to view full size!

My babies all tucked in :)

Click to view full size!

First one out, nice and crispy on the top.

Click to view full size!

Flipped it over and let the bottom crisp up.

Click to view full size!

Cut up, top side up.

Click to view full size!

Cut up and plated with some garlic bread (Girl Serve).

Click to view full size!

It's just as good with a fork and a beer.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  9. doug81

doug81 Member

doug81 presents...

Crispy Garam Marsala Lamb Salad

A delicious combination of crispy lamb with fragrant indian spices as a foundation for a refreshing citrus carrot and cucumber salad. The two parts of this dish harmonize to highlight the theme of minced meat for the second OCAU Iron Chef!

1 - Ingredients

Click to view full size!

All fairly self explanatory. The mince is lamb from Feast butchers in the Central Markets. The tub of spice in front is the Garam Marsala, which is a blend of cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and other exotic spices. It is not hot, but is a very fragrant with a flavour that brings out the sweetness of the dishes it is added to. And the pink salt is Murray River Flaked Salt in case you were wondering...

2 - Toasted sesame seeds

Click to view full size!

To be sprinkled on top

3 - Toasting the cumin seeds

Click to view full size!

...then crushed in a mortar & pestle for the dressing - the aroma was awesome!

4 - Squeezing the citrus

Click to view full size!

1/8 of an orange, and a half each of lemon & lime

5 - The dressing

Click to view full size!

Zest & juice of the 3 citrus fruits, toasted cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp of ginger and plenty of e.v. olive oil

6 - Peel-slicing the salad

Click to view full size!

De-seeded the cucumber, peeled the carrot, and then used the peeler to get thin ribbons for the salad. Good texture, and looks great too :thumbup:

7 - The dressed salad

Click to view full size!

Lightly coated the salad with the dressing separately so the plate doesn't have a pool of dressing on it.

8 - Frying the lamb

Click to view full size!

Started it off with a bit of oil, and fried some garlic in it to flavour it. Removed the garlic and added the lamb and some of the flaked salt.

9 - Crispy Garam Marsala Lamb

Click to view full size!

Frying and stirring the lamb mince until it goes into crispy nuggets, then adding a couple of tablespoons of garam marsala to give it some great flavour, and the aroma of the spices made the whole kitchen smell wonderful.

10 - The Finished Masterpiece (additional images added as not sure which one looks the best on other people's screens...)

Click to view full size!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

[​IMG]

Plated the spiced mince and topped with the salad, then sprinkled some flaked salt and sesame seeds, and decorated the plate with some extra garam marsala.

It tasted fantastic, and looks pretty cool too. It's a fairly cheap dish and relatively easy to make so it can be a regular dish for the household. Hope you guys and gals enjoy, it's worth giving this one a go yourselves :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  10. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Zzapped's packet free Chilli Con Carne

Zzapped's packet free Chilli Con Carne

Seeing how nobody else has done one, here's mine.

Firstly, the ingredients

[​IMG]

• Minced Beef
    • Diced Tomato's
    • Tomato Puree
    • Refried Beans
    • Red Onion
    • Minced Garlic
    • Minced Chilli
    • red Kidney Beans
    • Thyme
    • Coriander
    • Oregano
    • Cumin
    • Salt & Pepper to taste

Step 1:
    Dice the onions finely, as you can see mine arent that fine but you get the idea

[​IMG]

Step 2:
    Combine the onions, garlic, chilli, coriander, thyme,oregano, cumin and pepper

[​IMG]
    Then mix together and leave for a few minutes

[​IMG]

Step 3: Brown the mince

[​IMG]

Step 4: Place the onions and ingredients you mixed before over a low heat and start to sweat down the mixture to release the aroma's and oils from them

[​IMG]

Step 5: Drain the mince

Once the mince has browned tip it into a strainer to drain all the oil, fat and meat juices from it. Make sure you dont overcook the meat as you still want it slightly undercooked to absorb the chilli flavours llater

[​IMG]

Step 6: Add the rest of the ingredients

Add the diced tomatos and stir in

[​IMG]

Next add the Puree tomatos and stir in

[​IMG]

Next add a beef stock cube

[​IMG]

Now simmer for about 5 mins while you get the next part ready.

Next draimn and rinse the kidney beans

[​IMG]

Then add them to the simmering chilli and stir them in

[​IMG]

Step 7: The magic ingredient

Add your refried bean mixture

[​IMG]

Step 8: While the chilli simmers away get your rice on, my rice cooker takes about 10 mins so thats how long i bnneed to simmer the chilli for so your mileage may vary but get the rice on now

[​IMG]

10 mins later and the rice is ready

[​IMG]

As is the chilli

[​IMG]

Voilla !! ....Zzappeds packet free chilli con Carne

[​IMG]

Cheers

Z

11. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Lamb and pork Scotch rolls

Well, I planned to make Vincis Grassi, Beef Wellingtons, Pate, Roast chicken stuffed with pork and goosefat mince but sadly I didnt have time to go shopping! So, here is what I made with what I had.

Lamb and pork Scotch rolls

Ingredients:
    1 sheet Puff Pastry
    2 lamb chops
    1/4 pork chop
    1 onion
    tsp Honey
    1/4 Scotch
    1 clove garlic
    1cm red chili
    Taragon, Majoram, Thyme, Rosemary
    1 and a half slices of whole grain bread
    1/2tsp Brown Sugar
    1/2tbsp Butter

Step 1. Remove the fat and bones from your lambchops
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 2. Mix the honey into the Scotch in a small saucepan over a low heat until it dissolves completely, then light the scotch and keep it on the lowest heat until the flame goes out.
    [​IMG]

Step 3. Finely chop all of the herbs and thinly slice the onion. Add the butter and brown sugar to a frying pan and cook on a low heat until dissolved, then add the onions and garlic and carmelize on the lowest heat. When the onions start to dry out add 1/2 a tbsp of scotch mix into the onion and fry off, then repeat this process again. The onions should be a dark caramel brown. Add the herbs and fry them quickly, then turn off the heat.
    [​IMG]

Step 4. Toast the bread, then blend into crumbs and pour them into a mixing bowl. Add the meat into the food processor and mince it.
    [​IMG]

Step 5. Mix together the meat, remaining scotch, bread crumbs, onions and then season with salt and pepper, Use your hands to mix it thouroughly (And make a mess).

Step 6. Slice the sheet of Puff pastry in half and then divide the mix in two, roll it into a sausage shape and then lay it out on one of the half sheets, roll the pastry over and tuck in the filling with your thumbs, seal the edges and roll the sheet so that the join is on the base of the roll, press down to firm it up and spread out the mix. Repeat with the other half sheet and remaining mix.

Step 7. Slice the pastry into smaller sections (4 or 5 each) then lay them in a baking tray leaving a fair bit of space inbetween each one.
    [​IMG]

Step 8. Bake for roughly 25 minutes at 175C, you may need to turn the tray around halfway through if your oven heats unevenly (Like mine does). I love to serve mine with Capsicum and tomato sauce.
    [​IMG]

12. scon

scon Member

Lebanese Koftas.

Ok. So I made some Koftas with Tabouli and Hummus for the mince meat challenge.

Ingredients: Lamb Mince, Yoghurt, Chick Peas, Tahini, Ginger, Lemon, Tomatoes, Red Onion, Parsley, Mint, Coriander, Cumin, Burghul and Pita bread.

[​IMG]

Kofta Ingredients, Lamb, Coriander and Parsley, Red Onion, Ginger, Chilli, Cumin and Yoghurt.

[​IMG]

Koftas made and tabouli made of Parsley, a little mint, tomatoes, red onion, burghul soaked in lemon juice, olive oil.

[​IMG]

Hummus, made from a can of chick peas, blended with tahini, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.

[​IMG]

Koftas made up and ready for the bbq.

[​IMG]

Koftas on the blurry bbq.

[​IMG]

Ready to roll!

[​IMG]

13. Adro85

Adro85 Member

Chicago-style deep dish pizza

When I first saw the major ingredient for this Iron Chef was mince, I was stumped as to what I could cook that would be a little more interesting than most of the stuff I cook with mince. But then I was reading another thread, and there was my inspiration...so behold:

Chicago-style deep dish pizza!
    [​IMG]

Ingredients:

For dough
    Plain flour
    Salt
    Yeast
    Caster sugar
    Olive oil

For pizza
    Mozzarella cheese
    Capsicum
    Mushrooms
    500g Italian sausage, minced
    Bottled pizza sauce
    Fresh basil

This is the first time I'd made dough from scratch so I didn't quite know what to expect.

[​IMG]

Mixing the yeast, sugar and water.

[​IMG]

Making a well in the flour/salt mixture.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Adding the frothed-up yeast mixture and olive oil.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mixing the dough, laying flour on cling wrap on the bench, kneading and flattening dough.

[​IMG]

Dough in an oiled-up bowl to rise.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Preparing sausage mince, basil and capsicum.

[​IMG]

Frying sausage mince...smelled SO. DAMN. GOOD.

I also fried the capsicum and mushrooms in butter and garlic...forgot the pic though.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Dough is risen. Spreading dough into cake tin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filling crust with cheese, mushrooms and capsicum mixture and mince (not pictured), two layers of each.

[​IMG]

Chockers crust topped with more cheese, pizza sauce and basil.

[​IMG]

Into oven, 200 degrees for 25 minutes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Finished product, in and out of cake tin!

[​IMG]

Cross section...

[​IMG]

And plated. Enjoy :D

Things I've learned: Dough probably didn't need to be so thick, and maybe baked a little bit longer. Flavours of the mince with the sauce and mushrooms were sensational - almost as good as the one I had in Chicago :D

14. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Chicken parmagiana pastries with roasted leek and hot pepper salsa

Ingredients:
    [​IMG]

Filo Pastry
    Chicken
    Sage
    Swiss Cheese
    Smoked Pancetta
    Sundried Tomatoes
    Elephant Garlic
    Red Chillies
    Red Capsicum
    Leeks
    Olive Oil Spray
    Tomato Paste
    Eggs, fresh from the chook's butt! (Almost)

The wine was just for me!

Minced garlic and chicken in food processor (I'm lazy!) Sorry about the bad lighting.
    [​IMG]

Chicken nicely minced in the bowl.
    [​IMG]

Oh noes! I've had an accident! What to do?
    [​IMG]

I know! I'll send in my own personal maid!
    [​IMG]

Pancetta and sundried tomatoes also minced in processor, then added to chicken with the shaved cheese.
    [​IMG]

1 sheet of Filo, spray with oil, add another sheet.
    [​IMG]

Measure a couple of spoonfuls onto the filo, and brush the edges with egg wash.
    [​IMG]

Roll it up and brush with more egg. Place on oven tray and bake on 180oc for about 40mins.
    [​IMG]

Roast capsicum and chilli.
    [​IMG]

Sweat leek in saucepan and add the peeled chopped peppers. Stir in some of this and some water.
    [​IMG]

Waiting... waiting...
    [​IMG]

Finished product, plated with a touch of fresh basil.
    [​IMG]

Shameless close-up. :D
    [​IMG]

15. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I hope no-one minds, I've copied all of these recipes to the Geek Recipe section as I've un-stuck the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.