Iron Chef Entries

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Iron Chef Jun 2009 Entries Thread

Theme: Mushrooms.

OK Iron Chef is ON people ... get cooking!

Entries only. Discussion to take place in this thread.

Suggested format for posting: see previous entries thread.

Good luck to all!

2. doug81

doug81 Member

Porcini Mushroom Lingune with Sage Butter Chanterelles

My entry is:

Porcini Mushroom Lingune with Sage Butter Chanterelles

After recently going to Vue de Monde in Melbourne and having some great mushroom pasta from Shannon Bennet, I just had to try making something similar for this Iron Chef entry. Allez Cuisine!!! :leet:

Click to view full size!

Not a lot of ingredients for this dish, really concentrating on the mushroom flavours. Dried porcini and chanterelle mushrooms from the mushroom shop in the central markets. Pasta from the fresh pasta shop about 2 doors down from where I live.

Click to view full size!

Poured boiling water over the porcini's to reconstitute and make a beautiful stock. Left it for about 45 minutes (covered)

Click to view full size!

These are what they look like after soaking

Click to view full size!

mushroom stock in the pot and let it reduce (smells amazing!)

Click to view full size!

diced porcini's with my favourite knife

Click to view full size!

These chanterelles are imported from France, and were $150/kg. Great golden colour, and remain firm after cooking. there were also some funky looking pine mushrooms, but not really suited to this dish. button mushrooms are for chumps! :lol:

Click to view full size!

I used bought pasta, as the nearby shop makes it fresh and I couldn't be bothered making it when I can buy it fairly cheap. OK, so half cook the pasta in salty boiling water...

Click to view full size!

...then add to a frypan with the mushroom stock and diced porcini's to finish the cooking

Click to view full size!

after it's soaked up the mushroom stock...

Click to view full size!

...add a bit of salted butter :thumbup:

Click to view full size!

Frying the sage leaves first to flavour the butter and start the leaves crisping up

Click to view full size!

add the chanterelles to the sage butter mix and fry until even more golden. a quick grind of salt is good too.

Click to view full size!

after plating the mushroom pasta and topping with the chanterelles and crispy sage leaves, drizzle plenty of the sage butter over the whole thing

Click to view full size!

[​IMG]

The finished product. The mushroom pasta soaked up all the porcini flavour from the broth, and the crispy sage leaves and chanterelles provided bursts of intense, buttery, salty flavour. If only you guys could have tasted it, it was fantastic!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  3. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Mushroom Risotto with Asparagus

This is a very simple dish which you can whip up yourself with far less effort. But I wanted to get a very strong mushroom hit, so mushrooms feature in 3 out of the 4 elements of the dish. The four elements are: the mushroom stock, the mushroom risotto, the mushroom skin, and the asparagus. To get a deeper mushroom flavour, I used dried ceps and truffles.

[​IMG]
    Ingredients (clockwise from top left): balsamic vinegar, 1.5kg of Swiss Brown mushrooms, 1kg of Field mushrooms, Carnaroli rice, olive oil, onions, asparagus, leek, carrot. Not shown: ceps, truffles, parmesan, Madeira.

[​IMG]
    Ingredients chopped and into the stock pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Add a splash of Madeira.

[​IMG]
    After 90 minutes of simmering, strain out the solids. The mushroom stock is ready.

[​IMG]
    Slice the field mushrooms into 5mm thick slices. Chuck the offcuts into the stock.

[​IMG]
    Dust with a pinch of sugar, salt, and spray with olive oil. Then fry until soft and nicely coloured. The sugar helps the mushrooms take on an appealing brown colour.

[​IMG]
    Line a bowl with foil, and arrange the mushroom slices around the bowl so that the coloured bits are facing outwards.

[​IMG]
    Finely chop the leeks, garlic, and some onion. Fry in some butter until clear, then add the rice.

[​IMG]
    Add stock and keep stirring. Midway through cooking, add reserved chopped mushrooms. Keep adding stock and stirring until al dente. At the end, stir in some freshly shaved parmesan cheese and adjust seasoning.

[​IMG]
    Completed risotto.

[​IMG]
    Briefly sautee the asparagus.

[​IMG]
    Spoon the mushroom risotto into the prepared mushroom skins.

[​IMG]
    Invert on a plate ...

[​IMG]
    ... and then decorate with asparagus, dots of balsamic vinegar, and olive oil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Money shots!

4. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Shiitake Grand Marnier Pate, Vincisgrassi with Sauteed swiss brown salad, + Dessert!

I got cut off by the word limit!, Anyway I made a 4 course meal consisting of an Appetizer, Salad Course, Main, and a dessert course!.

So!, Without further adieu, Her is AussieHuskies Magic Mushroom Madness Melee!
    Shiitake mushroom Pate
    [​IMG]
    Ingredients: Chicken livers marinated overnight in Grand Marnier, Sage, Thyme, Garlic Butter, minced onion, Shiitake.

Drain the livers and reserve the liquer, melt the butter and throw in the livers, seal each side of the livers and then fry for another minute or two then remove from the pan.

Melt another teaspoon of butter in the same pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft, then add the mushrooms and saute until they've changed colour.
    [​IMG]

Add the herbs, reserved liquer, and livers back into the pan and fry until the liquer has cooked out.

Allow the mix to cool for a few minutes, then blend it to a smooth paste in a blender/food processor until smooth while adding another tablespoon of grand marnier and the remaining butter.

Spoon into ramkins and top with a sauteed slice of swiss brown. Mix 2 tablespoons of boiling water, 1tsp of soy sauce, and 1tsp of grand marnier along with 1/4tsp of gelatine and stir until dissolved, then pour over the pate to seal. Then allow to set for at least 6 hours in the fridge.
    [​IMG]

Vincisgrassi
    Vincisgrassi is a traditional Italian lasagna made with pork, chicken and mushroom bechamel sauce.
    I will cover the ingredients and cooking in three sections, Meat sauce, Mushroom mix, Bechamel sauce.

Meat sauce:
    [​IMG]
    Chorizo sausage, Pork sausage, Butter, Chicken liver, Chicken thigh, Chicken stock, Marsala.
    Skin the sausages, trim the chicken, slice the chorizo.
    In a large heavy base saucepan melt the butter then add in the sausages and fry until the pork sausage has cooked, then add in the livers and thigh and cook for another few minutes, add in the marsala and simmer until its cooked off.
    [​IMG]

Add the stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Allow to cool and then give it a rough chop or a few pulses in the food processor (You're aiming to roughly chop it, not make paste!).

Mushroom sauce:
    [​IMG]
    Ingredients: Nutmeg, onion, Porcini, butter, field mushrooms.
    Add enough boiling water to cover the porcini and allow to soak for 20 minutes then finely chop.

Sautee the onion in the butter until soft, then add the mushrooms and fry for a minute or two, add the reserved water from the porcini and nutmeg and simmer until all of the liquid has cooked off.

Bechamel:
    [​IMG]
    Ingredients: Nutmeg, Milk, Butter, Cream, Flour, Bay leaf, Onion studded with cloves.

Add the milk, onion and bay leaf into a saucepan and bring to the boil, remove from the heat and allow to stand for 25 minutes.

[​IMG]
    Melt the butter then stir in the flour to make a roux, fry until it darkens slightly then add the milk, continue to simmer while whisking until it thickens. Add the cream and nutmeg.
    [​IMG]

Final steps!:
    [​IMG]
    Add half the bechamel sauce to the mushroom mix to finish the mushroom sauce.

In a large saucepan boil salted water, then add in the sheets of lasagna for a minute to slightly cook them.

Layer of pasta, Layer of meat, Layer of Mushroom, Layer of parmesaan, Repeat, Finish with a layer of pasta, the bechamel sauce, and more parmesaan.

Bake at 200C for 35 minutes!.
    [​IMG]
    Swiss Brown Salad
    Sautee thinly sliced swiss brown mushrooms in butter, Layer on a bed of baby spinach, rocket, parmesaan, sliced bocancini.

Mix a drop or two of Truffle oil, a teaspoon of Olive oil and a dash of balsamic vinigrette to make the dressing.
    [​IMG]

Shimeji infused Frangelico ganache, Toffeed Shimeji chocolates.
    Okay!, it took me a very long time to come up with a mushroom dessert and this is a complete original!, As far as I can tell no one has ever made anything like it, and it tastes amazingly good!.

[​IMG]
    Ingredients:
    Sugar, Cream, Shimeji mushrooms, Chocolate, Frangelico.

In a sealable bag add the Shimeji mushrooms (Very nutty!) and 2 tbsp of frangelico, remove all of the air and then allow to stand in very hot water for 20 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Melt chocolate, pour into shells to fill, invert the shells to drain excess chocolate and then scrap shells clean.
    [​IMG]
    Shave chocolate, Bring cream to the boil, add chocolate to cream (Should be in a 2:1 ratio of chocolate to cream), allow to stand for thirty seconds then stir slowly until all of the chocolate dissolves.

Add the infused frangelico from the glad bag into the chocolate (2:1:1 choc,cream,frangelico) and mix, spoon into the moulds and then allow to stand in the fridge for a few minutes to firm up, then seal with more chocolate.

Thinly slice the infused mushrooms and lay them on some glad bake paper.

In a saucepan add warm water, caster sugar, and glucose syrup, slowly bring to the boil and then simmer without stirring until it has turned a light brown. Pour over the mushrooms in a thin even coating.
    [​IMG]

Allow to cool and harden, then finely slice,
    [​IMG]
    Add melted chocolate, and spoon the mix into shells, allow to harden then seal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Everything Assembled!
    [​IMG]

Tastes:
    Well, since you dont get to taste any of it I thought I would give a breif overview of the flavours.
    Pate:
    Its rich and fairly mild as far as pate's go, there is a slight aftertaste of orange from the grand marnier, and the shiitake gives it a very slight salty taste, its mildly sweet, but tastes great.

Vincisgrassi:
    The meat is slightly sweet and has vanilla overtones from the marsala, the nutmeg flavours really come through in the bechamel while the porcini gives it a strong rich mushroom flavour. Overall there are flavours of nutmeg, vanilla, pork, mushroom, and clove. I vowed never to make this dish again after I made it for a dinner party, and spent over 6 hours making it, but after my friends begged me for the recipe and every single person who came sent me messages saying it was the best lasagna they had ever eaten I decided to give it another go.

Salad:
    The rocket and spinach is quite sharp, but is tonned down by the mellow butteryness of the mushrooms, the bocancini compliments the flavours of the mushrooms while the truffle vinigrette provides a tangy contrast to the creamy flavours.

Dessert:
    Well, I thought long and hard about this, and one of my original dishes got rejected, I was extremely pleased with these, I've made thousands of handmade chocolates, so the challenge was more in getting the flavours right as opposed to the complex chemistry of chocolate and caramels. The shimeji mushrooms have a very nutty flavour and impart a rich earthy flavour to the frangelico which partners very well with the cream and dark chocolate, while the caramel coated mushrooms had a perfect caramel snap that crunched noisily and very flakely in your mouth, the slightly burnt flavour of the caramel took down the sweetness and helped bring it inline with the dark chocolate flavours.

5. connico

connico Member

Sweet Potato Gnocchi w butter mushroom sauce

Requirements

• Mushrooms (Sliced)
    • Sweet potatoes (Baked)
    • Plain Flour (sifted)
    • Butter (Room temp)
    • Sage (Whole)
    • Garlic (Puree)
    • salt + pepper
    • Patience
    • Chilli (Finely chopped)

This is a fairly easy dish to make, it requires patience and a willingness to experiment and knowledge that your going to not succeed the first time around and might end up with bullet like gnocchi or mush!

First and foremost, throw your Potato into a preheated oven with a timer set for how ever long its going to take to bake your potato to perfection. Here you can see a rather large potato getting ready to be baked.

Click to view full size!

Now we wait, go do something; there is not much else you can do while waiting for this thing to bake. We see the finished product below.

Click to view full size!

Following are some easy steps to make gnocchi! Beware this is where the problems start...

Rice, mince or just push the cooked potato through a sieve/frying guard. Make sure that the potato is smooth and if your using normal potatoes the results are nice and fluff. Sweet potato on the other hand will be quite waxy and puree like which is fine (Because your going to be nice and careful with it)

Next you need to sift plain flour into your potatoes gradually, which means heaped tablespoon by tablespoon. While you do this use your finger tips to carefully push in the flour and work it into the sweet potatoes. What you want in the end is very soft play dough, that somewhat solid and easy to pickup and shape but is light and full of air.

Now I am sorry I did not have pictures of the dough, I was cooking alone and at this point your hands are petty messy. Regardless you will need to experiment for this dough to work. I did not get it the first time and I over worked the dough and it became hard and not light and full of air. This resulted in bullets!

Now make what ever shape you wish, similar size will help get them cooking within the same time. Like to make balls with mine and then squeeze them into blood vessel shapes. Observe below!

Click to view full size!

So now the gnocchi is ready. Leave them till they need to be cooked as they cook really fast!!

Click to view full size!

Now we have the mushrooms, I picked Honey Brown mushrooms, these are quite easy to obtain and flavour. They are fairly stiff and easy to cut and handle and are difficult to bruise.

Click to view full size!

Slice them up as below. I did slice alot of them because I did make something after with the mushrooms. If your going to store them for more than a day, I suggest not slicing them up and storing them whole. Washing mushrooms are also a no no, you just wipe/shake/brush them clean.

Click to view full size!

Now its time to melt 100gm of butter, if you like your butter then reserve about 50gm to put in later as a finisher. There are several ways to cook mushrooms, this is one method that enables the butter to penetrate the mushroom. Medium heat, butter, melt; toss in some sage leaves whole (put in alot of sage if you like it, chop them if you want), simmer for 3-4 minutes till the sage infuses the butter with its oils. Then place your mushrooms into pan and slowly cook to let the butter infuse in the mushrooms. You should physically see that the oils are soaking into the mushroom by looking at them.

Toss your gnocchi into boiling salted water. should take 3-4 minutes to cook.

3-4 minutes later start tossing the pan and then remove the mushroom from the pan, leave the excess butter. You know when you have over cooked the mushrooms when they are tooooo soft and fall apart. They still should be slightly firm to the touch.

Drain your gnocchi. In the buttered pan, toss in your chilli and garlic over a medium heat for 30 seconds. Then toss in your gnocchi and coat well. Turn off the heat. Everything is already cooked now so you should not need the heat any more. Toss in your rested mushrooms, and your reserved butter.

Click to view full size!

Your done, now its time to plate. Grate some parmasan, pecorino, romano what ever cheese you like. Also a sqeeze of lemon and salt and pepper to taste is fine. Finely chopped parsley isnt bad bad touch either.

Click to view full size!

and

Click to view full size!

shit!! forgot!!

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  6. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Boscaiola Sandwich

Ingredients:

Large field mushrooms
    Bacon
    cheese
    Milk
    Flour
    butter
    garlic
    nutmeg
    bread

[​IMG]

Firstly, toast some bread. Brown some garlic and bacon in a pan. Remove the stem from a large field mushroom. Season the mushroom with salt, pepper and a little crushed garlic. Top with the bacon bits. Place into the oven and roast.

[​IMG]

Without removing the bacon grease in the pan, add a little more butter and flour to create a roux. Add milk, cheese, salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Cool the sauce completely.

Remove the mushroom from the oven (Should be 95% cooked and starting to go soft) and place it onto the toasted bread. Top with the cooled sauce and grated cheese.

[​IMG]

Place under the grill until the cheese goes golden brown.

[​IMG]

Innards..... MmMmmm

[​IMG]

The mushroom was juicy and was bursting with all the lovely flavour of garlic and bacon. The bread had soaked up all the mushroom juice and sauce. The bacon and any residue fat had cooked itself into the mushroom. This was an absolute success and is making its way into the dinner menu. Serve 2-3 per person with a side salad and plenty of bread to soak up all the goodness.

7. scon

scon Member

Swiss Brown Tortellini, Scallops, Sweet Potato Veloute, Pan-fried Oyster Mushrooms with a Parmesan Crisp.

Ok! So, this is was pretty good. I'm still not up to scratch with my pasta making skills, so the ravioli didn't turn out quite as well as it should have, but everything else, particularly the Sweet Potato Veloute, was delicious, and the added scallops just made it that little bit more luxurious!

Ok, ingredients:

[​IMG]

Swiss browns were then chopped, cooked down, had truffle oil added to them, mixed with some mash potato to bind and then put in the fridge. Saffron pasta was made and these shaped into Tortellini.

The veloute was made by sweating some shallots in a pan, then adding the sweet potato, cubed and skinned, then when that starts softening, keep adding home made chicken stock until soft, then blitz.

Cook the parmesan under the grill till just browned to make the crisp:
    [​IMG]

And then assemble!
    [​IMG]

It was quite delicious, the veloute was silky and sweet, complementing the scallops and the ravioli, the crisp added a nice salty tang to it all. It was great, but took longer than it really should have due to making all the tortellini.

Sorry about the lazy plating, but by the time it was ready, i was starvin!

8. patdaly

patdaly Member

Mushroom, Lamb, Thyme and Red Wine Pie w/ Spicy Tomato, Capsicum and Mushroom Relish

Mushroom, Lamb, Thyme and Red Wine Pie with Spicy Tomato, Capsicum and Mushroom Relish

Here is my entry:

Started making the relish as it needed an hour or so to cook.
    Capsicum, Mushroom, Tomato and chilli powder (not pictured):

[​IMG]

Add it all to a saucepan and simmer until the liquid has reduced.

[​IMG]

Take it off the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Then blend it a little to get a consistency you like.

[​IMG]

Now for the pies!

Lamb chops, mushrooms, red wine, onion, beef stock, salt and pepper, thyme.

[​IMG]

Dice the onion and lamb

[​IMG]

Soften the onions on low heat

[​IMG]

Add the diced lamb and quartered mushrooms

[​IMG]

Cook for 5-10 mins, then add half a cup of water and some beef stock

[​IMG]

Cook for a minute, then add a cup of red wine

[​IMG]

I added some flour after 10mins to thicken up the mixture.

Prepare your pie dishes/tins with puff pastry (couldn't pause to take photos sorry), then fill with your mixture, top with your lid and put a little mushroom pastry graphic on the top (my girlfriend made them cause im not creative enough => )

[​IMG]

THEN...

Enjoy :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Mushie Tart, Mushy Chicken and Mushy Chocolate Mousse

Hazelnut, swiss brown and tomato tart; Mushroom and bresaola stuffed chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce and truffle oil; and chocolate and swiss brown mushroom mousse with button mushroom toffee shards and spun sugar

I decided to do 3 courses, after viewing AussieHusky's effort. (Nice one, BTW.)

First up - my ingredients:
    [​IMG]

Forgot to get a photo of the tart shell, but it was a basic shortbread with crushed hazelnuts mixed through. Blind baked to ensure a light, crispy shell. (Sorry about bad image quality.)
    [​IMG]

Sliced up a tomato (heavily salted to bleed excess liquid out) and a similar sized Swiss Brown. Drizzled the tomato with truffle oil to add depth to the flavour.
    [​IMG]

Plated with a micro salad and herbs from the garden.
    [​IMG]

Close up/cross section:
    [​IMG]

On to mains, the Oyster and Porcini Mushrooms reconstituting. (These formed the basis for both the stuffing and the sauce.)
    [​IMG]

To make the stuffed chicken breast, I first removed the tenderloin and then butterflied the fillets. Next I laid shaved bresaola over the top, and finished it off with my mushroom mixture. (The reconstituted mushies plus all of my offcuts lightly fried in butter with some herbs. Also added a splash of white wine, forgot to photo that in the ingredients.)
    [​IMG]

This was cooked on the BBQ. Mushies plus BBQ mean really good flavours, and this was served with a simple mushroom sauce. (The remainder of the stuffing mix was lightly fried with some button mushrooms and extra butter added. Another good splash of wine and a slurp of cream finished it off.
    Plated.
    [​IMG]

And the awesome cross-section!
    [​IMG]

Finally, after much thought and deliberation, I decided that Swiss browns would make a tasty addition to a chocolate mousse. (Sorry, didn't get too many pics of all of this - was busy making toffee at the time!)
    First, I steamed the mushies to soften the texture. I drained them well on paper towel to remove as much moisture as I could. I wizzed them in the processor and added them to a regular chocolate mousse mix.
    [​IMG]

The little grainy bits you can see in the above image are the bits of Swiss Brown not mushed up. I decided this wasn't enough mushroom, so I made up a toffee and set some button mushrooms in it.
    [​IMG]

Served, with spun sugar to add to the textural adventure.
    [​IMG]

...And a shameless close-up!
    [​IMG]

Results:

The tart itself was delicious. The flavours all really worked well together, but it was a little dry. Needed a layer of moisture underneath the vegie topping, just not sure what.

Mains were perfectly cooked, moist and soft chicken with a joyously rich, earthy stuffing. The sauce was delicate and tasty.

But the real winner was the mousse. The mushroom added a heightened nuttiness to an already yummy dessert, and the toffee mushrooms gave the mousse some texture and balance. It did need a bit more refrigeration time than I was willing to give it, meaning that tomorrow it will be even better! I have leftovers! :weirdo:

10. Romen

Romen Member

Lets start..

Chicken roll stuffed with Mushroom Duxelle, served with a White Wine cream sauce.

Most of the ingredients. I don't have much room in my kitchen.. :(

Click to view full size!

I have some stock reducing on the left for the source and my Mushroom duxelle is breaking down.

Click to view full size!

Processing...

Click to view full size!

Rolling up the chicken roll... Fun! A new thing to try :)

Click to view full size!

Service!

Click to view full size!

With some Green heh

Click to view full size!

Lets post, then Ill edit with some info as I have 10 mins! lol

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.