Iron Chef June Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by mrs dan77, Jun 3, 2010.

1. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Alright guys (and possibly the occasional girl!):

Iron Chef is on for June 2010!

The theme for OCAU Iron Chef June is:

*Drumroll please*

Duck.

The competition will be open from 8.00am on Saturday 5th June, and will close at Midnight on 20th June, giving people two full weeks over this exam period to get their entries done and posted.

Please include a minimum of four photos to show you have actually cooked the dish, including at least one with your OCAU username and one of all the ingredients you used.

So: "Who's cuisine reigns supreme?"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. scon

scon Member

Oo. Excitement++. Moving into a new apartment on Monday, so I'll finally have my own kitchen. It's a crap kitchen but at least it'll be MINE! I'll definitely be in for this one. Just need to find a way to post it as we won't have internet.

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

And I have my new kitchen! I just bought another oven thermometer today, to replace my old one which is a couple of years old now. For this month's theme ingredient (which I have chosen but hopefully Mrs Dan will reveal very soon) ... you will need it! :)

4. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Done and done. Late night... so posting this at 12.20am! I did have a good quality mental blank at why one would possibly need an oven thermometer, but got there eventually! (It didn't help that I absolutely couldn't remember what you'd chosen... lucky I kept that PM!)

5. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

Interesting ingredient, never really played with duck so this will be good :thumbup:

6. doug81

doug81 Member

I wonder if I can borrow someone's kitchen in HCMC...

7. omghi

omghi Member

I might have to sit this one out as the combination of exams and the budget will made both time and money short.

I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with though and if I get a chance I'll throw in anyway.

8. pugsley

pugsley Member

Ooo a reason to cook duck. Might have to go recipe hunting!

9. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

I have a few great cookbooks that are almost entirely duck :p, Good pick, nice mix of Euro and Asian. Shame I cant really do a dessert with it :p

10. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

So, I have me a nice idea... might need a bit of tweaking to work as I want, but exciting all the same! Now, to find a supplier of duck open past 3pm on a Saturday in my region; might have to wait a week!

11. Gua5d1aN

Gua5d1aN Member

Zomg this is gonna be great! I can't wait to cook this, I cook duck all the time at work so its like second natures lol. See what I'll come up with as well. I'll probably end up making it uber complex like my cheese dish i did haha!

I'll hopefully start putting it all together this Wednesday.

Ok I've already chosen what I'm making, I'm going to reveal the ingredients only and they are; duck, banana, Apple and pumpkin

That's all I'll be revealing for now

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  12. Chemical Pete

Chemical Pete Member

Interesting ingredient... I must admit, I've never cooked duck. I have eaten it in a few Thai dishes, and once or twice from a Chinese resturant, and every time I loved it! I am considering entering this, given how much fun I had in the last Iron Chef. However I'll have to wait and see if I feel gutsy enough. I've already pieced together a rough idea of what to cook, and how to cook it, but having never seen how duck reacts to cooking processes, I'm unsure of how it will go. I'm guessing the common cuts of duck are similar to those of chicken?

Changing kitchens since the last Iron Chef seems to be a common theme, and I am glad to say I have also moved. I have around 3x times as much bench space as my last kitchen, however I've lost my wonderful gas cook top, and I'm now back to horrible electric hotplates.

13. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Pete, I think cooking duck has more in common with pork than it does with chicken. Duck should be cooked until it is JUST cooked, preferably with a little bit of pink in the center. Overcooking duck will dry it out. On the other hand, if you leave the skin on, the fat on the skin will have to render otherwise it will be heavy and gluggy. Duck breast and duck legs need different cooking methods - breast benefits from being pink, legs need long and slow cooking (or a confit method) to remove all the toughness in the meat.

Duck can also showcase a large number of cooking styles, and I can't wait to see what people come up with.

14. Gua5d1aN

Gua5d1aN Member

Yes it will be interesting to see what people come up with, and also how people go about cooking duck

15. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

I'm thinking of doing a tail to snout method of French style cooking, just have to come up with a combination that works!.

16. GLoLiTe

GLoLiTe Member

do we post entries in this thread? or is another one going to be created?

17. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Another thread. I've been mindful of needing to get it done, but right now I'm also mindful of an early start tomorrow! Tomorrow night I will do it; I have a slightly lighter load on then. Sorry if you're ready and waiting to post! :)

18. scon

scon Member

And GLoLiTe has opened with a pearler of a dish!

19. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

GloLite's entry is amazing! Really thrown down the gauntlet for the rest of us!!

20. glasnt

glasnt Member

I am tempted to do this one.. see how I go over the weekend...