Iron Chef March 2010: Cheese - entries

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Post your entries here. Discussion in this thread.

2. OP
    OP
    Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Amfibius' Four Seasons Cheese Tasting Plate

This is a complex multiple part dish with many elements. I think it is worthy of an OCAU Iron Chef entry.

[​IMG]
    Ingredients

Burnt Tomato Sorbet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the burnt tomato sorbet: peel the tomatoes then cook them until the bottom of the pan starts to burn. Add 2 tbsp smoked paprika for that extra smoky taste then blend. Adjust seasoning, then put into ice cream maker. Reserve in freezer.

Parmesan Crackers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the parmesan crackers: Grate 2 cups of parmesan and add 1 tbsp flour. Mix well. On a low heat non-stick pan, sprinkle the parmesan and shape. When the top starts to bubble, turn the cracker around and fry until almost dry. Allow to rest on a rolling pin to make a curve.

Bufala Mozarella Mini-spheres

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the Mozarella: First, deconstruct the mozarella. Shred 120gm mozarella into tiny pieces and keep aside. In a seperate container, add 80gm of the reserved mozarella liquid with 30gm milk with 3gm Calcium Gluconate. Heat until 90C then add to the mozarella. Blend well.

Now make the Sodium Alginate bath. In 3L of water, add 16gm Sodium Alginate powder. Blend with a stick mixer. Set both aside for 4 hours.

Using a spoon, drop the mozarella mixture into the Sodium Alginate bath and allow a skin to form. "Cook" for 30 seconds, pushing the little ball around to ensure complete exposure. Remove, wash in water, and set aside.

Crumbed Manchego Fried in Duck Fat
    Deep Fried Double Brie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cut both cheeses into pretty shapes. Freeze both to prevent melting during cooking. Prepare an egg wash and a plate of panko breadcrumbs.

For the Brie: prepare a small pot with 2 cups of vegetable oil. Heat to 180C then drop the cheese in and immediately remove. For the manchego: pour some duck fat into a fry pan. Shallow fry the cheese until just coloured. Drain on kitchen paper.

Assembly

[​IMG]

Start of plating.

[​IMG]

Representing summer: Parmesan crisp with burnt tomato sorbet and capers. The sorbet is refreshing and bright, with an unexpected hint of smokiness. It contrasts well with the crisp and light parmesan cracker. The capers gives textural contrast and the tartness complements the tomato sorbet.

[​IMG]

Representing autumn: Deep fried double brie with micro-herbs and fresh fig. A more hearty dish. The fig provides freshness and lifts the cheese. The crisp breadcrumb coating contrasts well with the soft cheese within.

[​IMG]

Representing winter: Manchego, elderflower glaze with micro-herbs. Manchego is a hard cheese with hints of fruit. The elderflower glaze provides sweetness, with a mysterious aroma that nobody will know unless told it is elderflower.

[​IMG]

Representing spring: Tomato, basil, and mozarella mini-spheres with balsamic. A new take on a classic Italian salad. The cherry tomatoes are peeled then hulled. The mozarella looks like normal mozarella until you bite into it - surprise, it is liquid inside. The basil is fresh from my garden and I picked the smallest leaves - a good choice since these turned out to be the most intense. The balsamic provides sweetness and a slight tart note.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't decide which plating I liked better so I am presenting them both :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
  3. AussieHusky

AussieHusky Member

Aussie's Roaring 40's blue leek quiche, Amaretto D'affinois pear salad and Chevre fromage blanc.

My dish makes use of the french D'affinois, a double cream cows milk cheese, it is unique in that rather than being seperated into whey and strained, the milk is ultrafiltered to remove water, resulting in a high fat unscoulded cheese. It has a slightly nutty flavour and is almost liquid at room temperature.

I also made use of Goats curd cheese, a tart smooth curd cheese made in the Soignon region of france.

Last but not least I used the King Island Dairy Roaring forties blue cheese, its crumbley yet surprisingly creamy with a strong rich almond flavour.

[​IMG]

Single Serve Blue Leek Quiche

Ingredients:
    • Smokey Bacon
    • Garlic Chives
    • Leek
    • Butter
    • Egg
    • Cream
    • Roaring Forties Blue Cheese
    • Filo Pastry
    • Chervil
    [​IMG]

*NB I noticed Amfibious also used Chervil, this herb is rarely seen in Australian cuisine and shops, but it is extremely easy to grow (I have it sprouting up between my chives). It has a slight aniseed flavour with a mild parsley aftertaste.

[​IMG]

Method
    1. Slice the leeks in 3mm sections, then gently heat a heavy based frying pan and add butter. On a low heat carmelise the leeks (10-15minutes).
      [​IMG]
    2. Add your cubed bacon and fry. Turn off the heat and add the herbs.
    3. Using large metal cupcake tins, Grease the tins with butter, layer with Filo smearing a thin layer of butter in between each layer. 4-5 sheets should do it. Dont grease the last layer.
    4. Mix the cream with the egg in a 40/60 ratio. Spoon in a layer of the leek mix, then add crumbled blue vein followed by egg mix. Repeat once more to fill.
      [​IMG]
    5. Bake until golden in a 190C oven.
      [​IMG]

Amaretto D'affinois pear salad

Ingredients:
    • Amaretto Disaronno
    • Salad leaves
    • Pear
    • D'Affinois
    • Walnuts
    [​IMG]

Method:
    1. Slice the pear in half, Peel and core, slice thinly.
    2. In a small heavy pan pour in just enough Amaretto to cover the pears, then add in your pears and bring to a low simmer.
      [​IMG]
    3. When the pear is softened, remove from the pan and simmer down the sauce to a glaze.
      [​IMG]
    4. Layer the leaves, walnuts, D'affinous, Pear and then drizzle with the glaze.

Chevre fromage de blanc
    This is a simple dish, I've served it a few times at dinner parties and it always impresses.

Ingredients:
    • 100g Goats Cheese
    • 125ml cream
    • Juice of half a lemon
    • Chives
    • Green Shallots
    • Salt n Pepper
    • Parsley
    • French loaf
    • Butter
    [​IMG]

Method:
    1. Combine everything but the butter and bread in a bowl, and mix until combined.
    2. Butter the sliced French loaf then grill.
    3. Using two spoons make Quinelles from the chevre mix, then spoon onto the bread.

All together now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

Swanked up scrambled eggs

Hash brown bowl with bottom lined with crispy potato pieces to soak up the moisture, ricotta scrambled eggs topped with bacon bits with a creamy gruyere sauce.

* forgot my deli is closed on sats :( didnt get the cheeses i wanted

Ingredients (forgot the milk and bacon there)
    [​IMG]

Bacon
    [​IMG]

Cooking the potato just enough for the oven
    [​IMG]

Shot 1
    [​IMG]

Shot 2
    [​IMG]

Name tag
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4465943837_5100dcab01.jpg

cheers

shouldn't of left this till the last minute lol, good fun though.

5. Chemical Pete

Chemical Pete Member

Name
    Strawberry Cheesecake

Description
    This is a pretty simple cheesecake, with plenty of colour and flavour provided by strawberries. Not much else to say, really :). Special thanks to my girlfriend for assisting!

I used a recipe from Philadelphia's site for a guide on ratios of ingredients for the cheesecake, and just made up the rest.

Ingredients
    Base:
    3/4 packet Coles Milk Coffee biscuits (not actually coffee flavoured!)
    80 - 100 grams butter

Filling:
    500 grams cream cheese
    1 tablespoon gelatine
    1/4 cup water
    80 grams sweetened condensed milk

Topping:
    1 punnet strawberries
    1 tablespoon sugar (approx)

Sauce:
    1 punnet Strawberries
    1 tablespoon sugar (approx)
    2 tablespoons icing sugar (approx)

Equipment
    Food processor
    Beater
    Gas Stovetop
    20cm Spring-form plan
    A few other assorted pots and pans :)

Instructions

Well here we are, getting ready with all (most?) of the ingredients set out.

[​IMG]

Start by breaking down the buscuits into small crumbs. I was worried about them getting too smooth and not giving enough texture, so I had to be careful with the food processor.

[​IMG]

Melt butter, combine with breadcrumbs, mix well. Press firmly into the bottom of spring-form pan, and refridgerate.

[​IMG]

Here's the main ingredient, cream cheese!

[​IMG]

Add 1/4 cup hot water to 1 tablespoon of gelatine. Beat cream cheese, then slowly add the sweetened condensed milk, and the gelatine mixture, while continuing to mix.

[​IMG]

Pour the mix over the chilled base, and put in the fridge for ~3 hours. I left mine in overnight, and after removing the sides from the springform tin, this is what I had.

[​IMG]

Chop 1 punnet of strawberries in half, place in saucepan with sugar, and apply gentle heat for ~5 minutes, until you get a nice syrup developing, as seen below. Blend the other punnet of strawberries until they are in a smooth consistency. Strain the resulting pulp to ensure a nice consistency, and put in another saucepan. Apply gentle heat, add sugar, and icing sugar, and allow it to thicken.

[​IMG]

Apply strawberries to top of cheesecake, and plate up!

[​IMG]

Another plate.

[​IMG]

Both together, with username.

[​IMG]

6. dan77

dan77 Member

Potato Cheese Balls

Gone all out on this one! I normally only use cheese in eggs, pizza, parmigiana or on toast so this was a bit of a stretch

Potato Cheese Balls

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Dunno what the egg is smiling at cause I'm gonna crack him good!

Click to view full size!

Chop the spuds and boil them till soft.

Click to view full size!

Mash them and wack a bit of cheese in the middle.

Roll into balls and then dip in flour mix (plain flour, corn flour and salt mixed together)

Click to view full size!

(Still smiling but worse for wear)

Roll in beaten egg, roll in bread crumb mix (bread, chilli, garlic and garlic chives), repeat egg and bread crumb mix as these suckers are double crumbed!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Deep fry till golden brown

Click to view full size!

...and there you have it.

Potato Cheese Balls! :thumbup:

7. doug81

doug81 Member

doug81 presents....

Pistachio and Cranberry Fried Goat's Cheese with Candied Chilli Balsamic

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I have used a nice ash-rolled goats cheese, but I think this recipe would still work well with feta if you prefer.

Click to view full size!

Slice the chili (you can use hotter ones if you like, but this was to just add a touch of heat and flavour) and add to balsamic. Leave this for at least an hour to infuse, but longer is better.

Click to view full size!

Heat the chili/balsamic through, and once it starts to bubble, add in sugar. I used about 2 dessert spoons of white sugar to about half a cup of balsamic. Let this bubble away for a couple of minutes so the sugar dissolves and then take off the heat. This will thicken quickly, but if it gets too thick to use you can gradually work in a bit more balsamic to loosen it to the desired viscosity. By the way, this candied balsamic works great over roasted vegetables.

Click to view full size!

Next, hull and crush dry-roasted pistachio nuts

Click to view full size!

Dice dried cranberries, then mix equal parts of seasoned breadcrumbs, pistachio and cranberries. This forms the coating for the goats cheese.

Click to view full size!

Slice the goats cheese in half and wrap in cling wrap, twisting the ends to seal in the cheese, then roll into a cylinder. this is the best way to do it as this cheese is messy!

Click to view full size!

Separate out an egg yolk and coat the cheese in this before rolling in the crumbs. fry in butter that has a dash of olive oil. Roll the crumbed cheese around in the butter to fry it, but be careful as it falls apart easily.

[​IMG]

Finished product. Had a bit of trouble with the end of the cheese breaking between the pan and the plate, but it looks OK. The taste on the other hand is out of this world! Absolutely love it, turned out much better than I'd expected. The pistachio's work well with cranberry, and the candied balsamic adds an extra level of complexity to the flavour. I also went a bit overboard with the balsamic, but that was a personal preference as I could just about drink it! This could also work in smaller portions for finger-food, served on a toasted crouton with a drizzle of the balsamic on top to finish. hope you give this one a try :thumbup:

8. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

3-Cheese Italian Festive Dessert Pizza

I was inspired to make this pizza after flicking through an Italian dessert cookbook, "La Dolce Vita". (Recipe 100% mine.) With dried fruit, nuts, booze and cheese aplenty, it is the perfect Italian Easter treat!

Ingredients. I forgot quite a few, so I thought I'd better supply a second photo! I still managed to forget the milk entirely! The big bag at the bag of the first photo is bread making flour.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Firstly, soak the dried fruit in rum. Leave it for at least 24 hours, if time permits. Here's one I prepared earlier - the leftover soaked fruit from my Christmas cakes!

Click to view full size!

Add 1 teaspoon dry yeast, a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon sugar to 200ml lukewarm milk. Place in a warm spot for 10 mins until foamy.

Click to view full size!

Add 2 teaspoons of softened butter to 1 cup strong flour, and rub through finger until mix resembles very fine breadcrumbs.

Click to view full size!

Make a well in the flour mix, and add 1/2 cup ricotta. Gradually add foamy milk, mixing first into the ricotta and then incorporating the flour until you have a smooth, soft dough. Turn it out on a floured surface and knead until elastic.
    At this point, I knew the dough was going to be amazing, it was so soft and smooth, moist and not sticky. I've never put ricotta in a dough before, but it seemed to work really well.

Click to view full size!

Before the rise.

Place dough in a warm spot and leave it for a few hours. It should treble in volume. The extra time to prove will allow the starches in the flour to soften, resulting in a moister, more tender dough.

Click to view full size!

After the rise.

Then, place dough in fridge overnight. It allows the dough to develop a fuller flavour. Normally, this is traded off by the dough becoming slightly tougher, but the ricotta in the dough insulated it against excess moisture loss.

Roll out small balls of the dough into discs. Allow them to rest in a warm spot again for another hour.

Click to view full size!

Make up a paste with marscapone and the mixed nuts. I used crushed hazelnuts and blanched almonds, as well as hazelnut meal for a range of flavours and textures. Add vanilla and spices to taste.

Click to view full size!

Spread a thin layer over the pizza bases, and top with the soaked, drained fruit. I drained it really thoroughly on paper towel. It should have done all it needs to do with a whole day soaking time!
    Top with Philly cheese chunks, and roughly chopped hazelnuts for added crunch.

Click to view full size!

Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until golden.

Click to view full size!

Top with bitter dark chocolate shavings. Bellisimo!

Click to view full size!

Aside from the mostly fermented sugar in the dough, there was no sugar added to this dish - a very subtle sweetness of the dried fruit was not overpowering at all, making this pizza very easy to eat.
    I am seriously thinking I'll add ricotta to my pizza bases with more regularity - it was that good!
    Close up of the base, just to show how light and fluffy and yummy it was!

Click to view full size!

Classic rustic Italian fare. :weirdo:

Click to view full size!

9. Gua5d1aN

Gua5d1aN Member

Gua5d1aN's Five Textures Cheese Platter

Grape Sponge rolled in peanut dust and injected with white cheddar sauce, blue Vein and Pear slice, Brie cheese custard with semi dried Strawberries, Vanilla Mascarpone with port sphere and Pecorino wrapped in Prosciutto with Tomato strip and saffron.

Cheeses I used for this dish: Brie, King Island cheddar, Blue vein, Pecorino, Mascarpone

NOTE: Sorry about the semi-Ok pictures, firstly I don't do a lot of photography, secondly I don't own a wizz bang new camera, so that's why some of the pics are great, but at least they get the point across

All the ingredients
    [​IMG]

Left
    [​IMG]

Right
    [​IMG]

Port sphere liquid, dissolving the sugar and calcium lactate, then set in hemispherical molds.

[​IMG]

Blue cheese melted down with whole cream milk, and pinch of sodium citrate, and milk fats, set into mold (the natural protein in the cheese re sets it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grape juice whipped with 9 gelatin leaves(gold) till stiff peak, then piped into hemispherical molds and frozen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pear Jelly, pears are juiced, then the juice brought to the boil with sugar, sodium citrate and 2 gelatin leaves are mixed in, then the mixture is set in the mold as shown.

[​IMG]

Brie cheese custard, the brie cheese is melted down with milk and Carrageenan Iota, then set in the container for 45 mins then cut into pieces.
    [​IMG]

Sodium Alginate bath, water, sugar and sodium alginate brought to the boil then blended and passed through muslin, the frozen port spheres are then placed in the hot bath for 3mins 20sec, then placed into a half port, half water cold bath then placed on the mascarpone.

[​IMG]

Vanilla mascarpone, the mascarpone is heated with 15g sugar, and 1 vanilla bean till simmer, then 5g of carrageenan Kappa is added and mixed in, then placed in hemispherical molds to set.

[​IMG]

finally the cheddar cheese sauce which is brought up to 78 degrees Celsius, then passed through muslin while hot, then left to cool, then passed through again when its cold, so that the fat solids dont go through. the liquid is then placed in a fine tip syringe and injected into the prepared grape spheres.
    [​IMG]

Finally the plated platter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the eaten plate with my name ;)

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

oo probebly should have said which was which haha was thinking everyone would be able to pick it. Yeh Amfibius I'm a chef, I work with these chemicals every day; calcium chloride, calcium lactate, sodium alginate, sodium citrate, lecithin, Carrageenan, Methyl Cellulose, maltedextrin, agar, gellan, guar, lactic acid, malic, pectins, meat glue, xanthan. Just to name a few haha, I bulk ordered my stuff for this dish through work, costs me less.

ah anyways just to point out each thing for yah
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  10. omghi

omghi Member

OMGHI'S GUAVA CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
    A bit strapped for $$ I didn't want to shell out for expensive cheese or use an inferior substitute so settled on cream cheese.

The guava trees in Brisbane are going crazy at the moment. I went out this weekend and picked myself 7 or 8 lovely ripe ones. They grow on public land and inside University grounds. I figure that since they are technically invasive, I'm doing everyone a favour by not allowing animals to spread the seeds.

This is my first time making a cream cheese ice cream and I think it is awesome. It adds another dimension without ruining the texture and makes an ice cream that isn't sickly sweet. Not cooking the fruit also makes the flavour really fresh. I'll probably use a similar base for most fruit ice creams in the future.

[​IMG]

Ingredients:
    • 135g softened cream cheese
    • 3 large egg yolks
    • 2/3 cup of sugar
    • 1 cup guava puree
    • 1 cup pure/heavy cream
    • 1 cup full cream milk
    • 1/4 tsp vanilla bean paste
    [​IMG]

Method
    1. Puree guavas and strain seeds. Wild guavas vary a lot in taste/sweetness, add sugar to taste if fruit is tart.
      [​IMG]

2. Place cream into a mixing bowl and set in an ice bath.

3. Heat milk in a small saucepan over low-med heat. Stir in vanilla bean paste.
      [​IMG]

4. Whisk egg yolks, creamcheese and sugar until light airy.
      [​IMG]

5. Slowly add the hot milk to the cream cheese mixture, continuing to whisk while doing to.

6. Place the mixture in a bowl over a saucepan of water and heat (moderate) until thickened to a custard. This should happen at around 77 degrees Celsius and the mixture will be able to coat the back of a spoon (sorry I didn't take a picture of it on a spoon)
      [​IMG]

7. Immediately pour the custard through a strainer and into the cream.

8. Add the guava puree and set in the refrigerator to cool
      [​IMG]

9. Once cooled (overnight is best) churn in an ice cream maker.
      [​IMG]

10. After allowing additional time in the freezer to firm, serve topped with freshly toasted nuts.
      (sorry about the image quality, was racing against the clock and melting time, it is actually a pleasant pale pink colour)
      [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.