Iron Chef: Rules & Discussion only. Entries in other thread.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by mrs dan77, Apr 17, 2009.

1. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Do not post entries here post them in this thread please.

Rules:
    It will be based on the TV Iron Chef (SBS, Saturdays, 8.30pm) but only one dish needs to be prepared with the theme ingredient. You will also not be limited to one hour, but you will need to comply with all geek food forum guidelines - please re-read if you aren't familiar - any non-original recipes MUST BE properly referenced!

Competition proper will begin on Friday 17th April (Today) at 5pm, and run through until Midnight on Sunday 26th April. This gives you two full weekends and a working week to get your entries in.

Entries must be made and posted within this time frame. Entries made outside of this time frame will be disqualified.

The winner/s will be decided by public poll after the close of the competition, And by an entrants-only vote via pm to Ma Baker The poll thread will have only the final photo in it, like Iron Chef Pizza.
    To pm Ma Baker, entrants will need to vote for the 3 best entries (NOT YOUR OWN!) in a 3,2,1 style - where 3rd best gets 1 vote, 2nd gets 2 and best overall gets 3. Ma Baker will compile the list and announce the entrants winner, please label clearly in your pm who gets what votes to make her job easier.
    So, there will be a popular vote, open to all OCAU'ers, and an entrants-only vote to select the winner/s, with the possibility of two.

You will need to take photos during the preparation of your meal, and submit a minimum of four to prove you actually cooked, though you can submit more than four if you wish. One of all your raw ingredients, one of you cooking, one of the completed product and one of a cross section-type, to show the final texture/moistness/inside bit.

Please re-read the Geek Food Forum Guielines, as all of these rules also apply.
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=59739

But what you're really all interested in is the theme ingredient.

For this Iron Chef, based on the poll results, the ingredient has been chosen. In future competitons, it will be selected by the organisation panel, with input from the winner/s of the previous round.

This competition's theme is:
    Minced meat.

That is, any variety of minced meat you like. You may buy your own steaks and mince them yourself, if you like, or use any variety of white or red meat, including fish. The meat must be minced and must form the basis of the meal, contributing in no small part to the overall flavour of the dish.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  2. patdaly

patdaly Member

What a joke.

Iron Chef and the theme is Minced Meat??

Did you even look at any of the opinions of the entrants arguing against meat to be the theme?

3. scon

scon Member

Dont enter then negative nancy! The votes said meat.

4. patdaly

patdaly Member

And how many of those votes were from entrants?

5. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

And this is ANY variety of meat you like! People can be as creative as they like!

EDIT: Also, you can enter next time, if you'd prefer, when democracy will not be part of the process at all...

6. patdaly

patdaly Member

Well what is classed as meat?

Anything from a living object?

7. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Maybe I should have saide any variety of red or white meat considered to be legal to be consumed in Australia! Which, by the way, includes turtle, crocodile, kangaroo and emu. And excludes such things as humans, dogs, cats and snakes.

8. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Thanks for organizing this Mrs Dan, will have to think hard now. TBH I can't think of anything really creative but i'm sure i'll think of something :)

9. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

+1 Thanks to Mrs Dan for organizing this :D

I might sit this one out, though. I'm still keen to see what other people come up with.

10. scon

scon Member

Yeah, great work Mrs Dan! I've got an idea that I think could work.

11. Headless Turkey

Headless Turkey Member

That's alright, the next theme ingredient will probably be "Vegetables" :p

But yeah, I'll be sitting this out out, not even a Theme really. Chairman Kaga would be disapointed :thumbdn:

*Waits for the next IronChef*

12. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

I think this will be interesting. There's plenty of easy, simple things to do with minced meat, but hopefully something like spag bol or hamburgers won't win (especially the competitor only vote I'd think). Should be some interesting, unique dishes hopefully.

On another note, what about two entries from the one forum account? My fiancee might want to enter, but she's not a forum member...

13. Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact Member

Screw you guys, sure I may not be entering, but I WANT MEAT.(that's what she said)

14. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

Good thing it's free to sign up! :p

IF Critical_Impact WANTS MEAT, HE'LL GET MEAT. If no-one decides to make a super-sized hamburger, I might give it a shot :p

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  15. Buzz*

Buzz* Member

See, this doesn't sit well with me. As far as I'm aware there is no feral turtle problem anywhere, but there are lots of feral cats. And humans, for that matter.

16. pugsley

pugsley Member

I think its actually more complicated than people are giving the ingredient credit for. I mean yeah you could do spagbol or a hamburger or something equally as boring. Or you can really crank the old noggin and come up with something creative!

17. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Guess what's on Iron Chef America (on Foxtel) tonight? Yup - the secret ingredient is MINCED MEAT.

18. pugsley

pugsley Member

Lol!

Serious?

19. MCWB

MCWB Member

What a joke.

Iron Chef and the theme is Minced Meat??

:p

20. OP
    OP
    mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

--That's pretty funny!

I had no idea... honest! :leet: