Iron man arc reactor build with arduino

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by DualBios, Jun 3, 2012.

1. DualBios

DualBios Member

Hey guys now i would normal play with this stuff my self to learn. but everything has taken so long to get here i wont get a chance to play with the coding etc. I am looking for help to program the etherten. what i will have is two led rings and then im going to put a 10watt led in the middle.

I want tonight 2 buttons one to power up. first ring fades in then second one follows. Second button fades in 10watt led to 50% and after 3 seconds blast 100%. I also want a buzzer/pazio driver to give off a high pitch noise as it charges up etc.

Any help would be great. also wondering what driver from jaycar would be suitable for a 10watt led that is dimable?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Is this going to be chest mounted? A 10 watt LED is going to need a decent amount of heatsinking and will get quite uncomfortably warm against your chest..

I don't think Jaycar will have a driver for a 10 watt LED, that will probably be a custom job for your application.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  3. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

hey mate, yeah will be the chest mounted unit the 10w will only run for 3 seconds today at a time maybe put a 1min cool down on it. i have a large heat sink for it though that i think i can build the whole chest peice on which is kinda cool in a way

4. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

5. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

If you aren't running the 10w LED constantly, a smaller heatsink should be fine.

That driver you linked to looks ok. It's small and has PWM input for dimming.
    If it fits, it might be the go, cheap too. Almost worth buying it just for prototyping even if it turns out a bit too big.

You can always sit it in your pocket with the batteries, and run the two wires up to the LED in the reactor itself.

6. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

yeah was thinking of running a battery pack arduion etc in a box in my pocket. just run a ribon cable to it.

for a battery pack i have seen serveral run small lipo's to power it any info on that

7. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Check out hobbyking for cheap, good quality lithium batteries. They won't have protection circuits (being for remote control gear), so you'll have to sort that.

grab a cheap charger and a small lipo and you should be set.

8. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

thanks mate

9. mtma

mtma Member

Keep in mind you'd probably want to adequately protect the lipo cells with a case.

Round cells might be worth considering based on the above as well as the additional energy density over hobbyking lipos.

10. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

what do u mean by round battery? like AAA?

11. mtma

mtma Member

I mean like cells like these (link example only)

They have comparably higher energy density as well as are physically tougher, which may make them worthwhile.

12. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

thanks for the link mate ill look in to them now. finally got my 10 watt chip and the non dim driver with it will get pics up soon

13. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

well pics up https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150999184245751.468361.670515750&type=3&l=609fd73c31

so now im on to working on hooking the arduion to a n-mosfet driver and led driver i need to know what pins on the mosfet connect to arduion and what goes to the driver im guessing the g (gate) goes to the pwm pin. s (source pin) either positive or negative pin for power depending on placement. d(drain) to the device postive or negative depending on placement yeah?

14. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

more pictures up, i now have the leo and the etherten arduion for testing. finally all the leds have shown up and am only waiting on 2 led drivers for the repulsors. Last bit of soldering will occur tonight\sat and hopefully on sunday will have a working version

15. THE_PROFESSOR

THE_PROFESSOR Member

16. alch

alch Member

arduino

K.. Now thats said and done.

17. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

yeah just noticed that sorry. pics will be up in a second.

18. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

well new pics of progress so far. programing the speaker is proving to be a pain as i have never done much coding before.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  19. OP
    OP
    DualBios

DualBios Member

20. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

You going to use the SLA battery for your final item or will you go Li-po?