Iron Musician - September Voting

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by ChrisH, Sep 29, 2008.

?

Who is this month's Iron Musician?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2008.
  1. Comma - Everything Around Us (Mira's Waltz)

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  2. nickeax - No More Dance

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. jq3k - 3am

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. -weet*di- - A Cowboy's Last Dance (Gustavo Santaolalla)

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. DJ Fusion - Drop That Gum

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Edstructicon - Dub a Dance

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Thraxeh - Dance Mix 4

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Hello and welcome to this months Iron Musician Voting. As it is every month, we had a mixture of pumping D&B :rolleyes:, some huge alternative progressive tracks, acoustic entries and even some modern Jazz.

For those who tuned out, this months topic was 'Dance' and was a killer topic. It sparked creativity in everyone, so well dont guys!

There was also a handy addition to the competition this month, with the inclusion of some drum beats thrown in by Comma that are free to use for everyone.

Anyway, we needn't waste time talking. Let's vote for this months Iron Musician.

There were 7 killer entries this month. Check out the entries thread here:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=711663
    and discussion here:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=711661

The entries were:
    DJ Fusion - Drop That Gum

-weet*di- - A Cowboy's Last Dance (Gustavo Santaolalla)

nickeax - No More Dance

Comma - Everything Around Us (Mira's Waltz)

jq3k - 3am

Edstructicon - Dub A Dance

Thraxeh - Dance Mix 4

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Thraxeh

Thraxeh Member

haha, i wish i named mine properly. Everyone is going to think its dance music. :lol:

The song is just called "Dance"

3. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Awesome entries guys, terrific interpretations on the theme although I did mention I'd vote for whoever made me tap my feet but some of them I just ended up shoe-gazing to so I'm giving my vote to Ed this month coz his tune is a proper dancefloor stormer imo, wicked production and loaded with cool ideas. :thumbup:

4. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

You are right, totally nailed it. I voted for Thraxeh, purely for the innovative jazz styled track with vocals etc.

5. Edstructicon

Edstructicon Member

Thanks man, but tbh I loved your bassline, and I voted for you lol.

I've actually spent a few hours remixing it, I was going to wait till after the comp to post it, but might chuck it up this arvo. I haven't changed it too much, just put a bit extra in and extended it to 6mins or so.

6. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

Comma gets my vote :) Two pianos, brilliant idea!

As usual, props to everyone who dared to record vocals :p I actually think they were of a very high standard this month.

7. Comma

Comma Member

Couldn't get the mix right. I think I should've thrown a little more compression on the high end piano to balance out with the bass not having enough oomph. Yes, if you listen through the oodles of reverb I through at it, you may notice it's a double bass.

Thanks for the vote!

Mine goes to NickAx. It started off a little weird and then I really got into it!

8. Loop Goose

Loop Goose Member

I just noticed this thread this month, but I forgot to upload my track. Oops. Maybe next month.
    I'm struggling on who to vote for this month, I really like:

Edstructicon - dub a dance
    Comma - Everything Around Us
    Thraxeh - dancemix4

Good work guys. I have decided on dub a dance, because I think it is catchy, although I have a slight bias for Electronic music which is my personal favourite genre. Did you use FLstudio for this one ? because it sounds like you used the WASP plugin for this track...

Everything Around Us is a refreshing track, and very crisp, I really like its simplicity. It reminds me of the sort of track you would see in a movie, an aftermath being wrapped up, once the twist in the plot is finally revealed. The sound quality is great.

dancemix4 is right up there as well. I think the production quality of this track is really great. I like how the mix is balanced. The key riff is very catchy plus the vocals are good too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  9. derb

derb Member

couldn't download nickeax's track. was getting less than 1kb a sec on and off. :(

so going on the rest it's Thraxeh ftw, followed DAMN close by Comma. i mean real close, the only reason i didn't pick 'Everything Around Us' is because Thraxeh's track is so damn catchy and well produced.

I think Comma's track was a little 'smarter' if i can use that to decribe a track, i loved the double bass line and the piano parts were very nice [even though Comma said it needs more mixing, which it does] and the whole thing came together beautifully.

i used to be all about Electronica, but now i can't stand it unless its very well produced. sorry to DJ Fusion, weet-di, jq3k and edstruction, but you're tracks did nothing for me. it's all sounding a little generic in Electronica these days.

But 'Dance Mix 4' was the track i kept playing in winamp from the entries. thanks Thraxeh!

EDIT: managed to get nick's track eventually. didn't make a difference to my vote, didn't like the track at all. very dirge like.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  10. nickeax

nickeax (Banned or Deleted)

I liked them all! I had them on continual rotation (except for my own!) for a few hours and each entry offered something pleasurable and interesting. I voted for the Cowboy one.

Looking forward to the next topic!

11. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Stupid sendspace won't let me download Edstructicons' track... !

*waits patiently*

12. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Heaps of votes all over the place this month, it's gonna be a close finish to the race, go Thraxeh, c'mon Ed!

[​IMG]

:lol:

13. OP
    OP
    ChrisH

ChrisH Member

Alright! Nice work guys, but it looks liek Thraxeh sneaks up and takes this months Iron Musician. Well done. The dicussion and entries shall be up by tomorrow night. Thraxeh, your avatar will be changed shortly!

Cheers,
    Chris

14. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Gratz Thraxeh, great entry man, enjoy the tag, sorry about the stains I left on it. :D:thumbup: