Iron Photographer - October - Details and discussion.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Sciby, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

Welcome to yet another delayed challenge, but it should be the last time, thanks to a new judging process, which I'll cover at the end of the post.

Anyway, let's get the first bit of business out of the road:

The theme for this month is FEAST.

And it's due by 27th of October 2004.

That gives you two weeks to get out there and capture something excellent. Just remember that photos taken before the 13th of October, 2004 (ie, today), isn't acceptable, the entry has to be taken between now and the due date.

For those who have never entered an Iron Photographer challenge, welcome! Glad you could join us. :)

Here you'll find the challenge rules. Please read them before you post in the entries thread, and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Myself or any of the denizens of the photography forum will be more than happy to help out.

Another rule to be introduced this month (and will be added to the rules post) is regarding thumbnails that are placed in the entries thread.

Please ensure that thumbnails placed in the entries thread are no more than 200 pixels wide, and link to the original, larger image.

This is important, because having a huge image in the thread - while not hurting anyone - can be difficult to view. Much better to have a smaller, easier-to-swallow thumbnail. I've had a few quiet mutterings about it in the past (including from myself), so it's just something that is easy to avoid and makes things smoother.

Note that if you break this rule, you won't be disqualified, but you'll get a tersely worded PM from an admin. :)

Right, final port of call.

Over the months, we've had a few issues with judging and the time it takes. Some of the delays have been entirely my fault (which I've apologised for before) and some have been delays in getting a top ten list back from people in order to collate the 'final' top ten.

The original process was that I would ask several (3-5) forum admins to give me their favourite ten entries. I would then count up the votes for each entry and the ten with the most votes would be entered in the publicly-vote-able Top Ten thread, which the forum members would then vote upon.

As stated, this system did give some delays, and also fielded some criticism that because it was purely admins voting that it may skew the top ten list. Some people complained that their top ten was entirely different from the chosen ten.

In order to address these issues, I've decided to put the onus on the members. :D

The process now is that when the entries close, I will place a post in that month's 'Details and discussion' thread (ie, this one :) ) stating that I'm now accepting top tens. Members are then free to submit their top ten list to the thread. I will accept the first ten posts and then collate them as per usual and post up a 'final' top ten list for everyone to vote upon. If less than five 'personal' top ten lists are posted, I will include my own top ten and ask people (admins/whoever) to fill out the numbers.

Note: if an entry is unsuitable for consideration, I will note as such in the post. This is not to embarrass the person, but purely so people will know not to vote for that entry, but still allow members to appreciate it. I will discuss the reasons with the person in question via PM - previous to the closing date - giving them the choice of allowing the post to stay, or removing it all together.

Please give me your feedback on this new process in this thread, as I'd like to get the whole system down pat, so it's as streamlined as possible, and can be handled by any admin without 'personal' interpretation of how it's run. I think you guys deserve to have it run as cohesively and consistantly as possible.

That's it, good luck with this months challenge, have fun with it. November's challenge will be somewhat of a doozy, so get your shutter finger into shape!

Iron Photographer October - Entries thread.
    Iron Photographer Rules thread.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. Nikoy

Nikoy Member

i just read the rules for this challange

this is a bit hard to do if ur a complete noob and using a cheap digital camera.

i want to get involved is this going to be a problem

3. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Most digital cameras embed this as EXIF information into the jpgs that it takes, so you don't have to remember it.

4. OP
    OP
    Sciby

Note that it says "highly recommended" and not "mandatory". :)

If you don't include them, it's okay. It's just there so other people can go "Ah, so those are the settings he used to get that depth of field", etc.

5. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

File: Banana.jpg
    File size: 1,359KB
    Image Serial Number: 102-0223
    Camera Model: Canon PowerShot G3
    Firmware: Firmware Version 1.00
    Date/Time: 2003:03:15 19:02:40
    Shutter speed: 1/50 sec
    Aperture: 2.8
    Exposure mode: Auto
    Flash: Off
    Metering mode: Evaluative
    Drive mode: Single frame shooting
    ISO: Auto
    Lens: 7.0 to 28.0 mm
    Focal length: 17.0mm
    Subject distance: 0.69 m
    AF mode: Single AF
    Image size: 2272 x 1704
    Rotation: none
    Image quality: Superfine
    White balance: Auto
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Contrast: Normal
    Picture Effect: Normal

"Q. Can I use a photo that I've taken ages ago?
    A. No, definitely not. It used to be the case when the challenges started that people were allowed to submit old photos. This was allowed to encourage participation. This is also on an honour system at the moment, so if you use an older photo, you're only cheating yourself."

Iron

Dna

6. PsyKo-Billy

PsyKo-Billy Member

So what's the easiest way to grab that EXIF info from a pic?

7. OP
    OP
    Sciby

You can get a browser plugin, called ViewEXIF, or if you got software with a digital camera, they usually install an exif viewer, just rightclick on the file.

You can also rightclick on a photo file, go to Properties and then Advanced and that will show all the details as well.

8. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Who was this?

9. OP
    OP
    Sciby

tcollins, in the thread. I'm contacting them about it.

10. Hom3br3w

Hom3br3w Member

let me understand this - noob here - as long as it's taken now()+ it's fine

How do i go about getting 35mm film on the PC?

11. OP
    OP
    Sciby

Yup, that's right. The rule is there to discourage people searching through their archive of old photos and picking one that suits the theme. We're trying to get people to use their skills with a camera, not on how well they search through files.

I believe most photo labs are able to digitize and burn a cd of your negatives. Anyone else have any info on this?

Alternatively, you could go back to the original way: get them developed and scan them in with a scanner.

12. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

Almost all labs (maybe I should say all good labs) give you the option to have photos digitised (scanned) when you get them processed. It costs my friend an extra $6 per roll of 36 go get them digitised. Alternatly if you are going to do alot of film, you could get one of the Cannon or Epson scanners that can do 35mm film and slides. (I believe they can be as little as $200 but I have no experience with them.) Might be worth asking Frozen_Hell as I think he does his own film scanning.

13. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

use UGbox to upload photo, it will provide code for a thumbnail and link to full size. (Don't make it too big.)

Dna

14. Hom3br3w

Hom3br3w Member

Thanks for the info - I spoke the the photography place in town and they can get the pics on a CD.

Thanks for that piece of info to. Will always come in handy.

15. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Make sure you request it when putting the film in to be processed, as it'll be more expensive to get done once the film has been cut. Generally labs rapid scan the negatives in as a roll at somewhere between 2-3 megapixel size.

16. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

Alternate entry ...

Queensland Feast...

[​IMG]

:D

Dna

(apart from the guy ... ;))

17. OP
    OP
    Sciby

Cut him out, cut him out!

What's the story behind the suckling pig? What's the establishment? Looks like the kind of place I'd only be allowed in if I was sweeping the floors.

Or I was drunk and I bullied my way in.

18. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

Mate, they barely let me in, and I was dressed up !! :D

It was the 10th anniversary of a Food and Wine club at
    Grossi Florentino, upstairs in the dining room. They were also serving quail, fish, lamb and veges.

If you have to ask the price you can't afford it ...

Dna

19. OP
    OP
    Sciby

So how did you get in there? ;)

20. martinus

martinus Imperator Augustus

Lovely appetizer. ;)