1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Photographer - October Discussion

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Dinuc, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Dinuc

Dinuc Member

[​IMG]
    Copyright Pokia

Official October 2005 Theme : "Retro"

End date: 9 pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) Monday 31st October 2005.

No photos taken before this post will be considered. Please note the closing time is Eastern standard time.
    Thumbnails should be less than 200 pixels wide, for ease of viewing and I would suggest that the linked larger photo should be less than 1600 pixels on the longer side.
    Just a reminder on the rules for the challenges. Photo must be taken this month.

Iron Photographer - November Entries

Good Luck

Dna

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. milenko17

milenko17 Member

This is going to be tricky...

To fit with the theme should we shoot with film and send our entrys via morse code?

3. WestCoast

WestCoast Member

Interesting topic. The contents of my wardrobe should provide plenty of inspiration... ahem! :D

4. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

As should the contents of my fridge :D

5. WestCoast

WestCoast Member

On second thoughts, my retro clothes really shouldn't see the light of day ever again. So I dug out the Atari 2600 instead - that should be retro enough! :)

6. djnz

djnz Member

Hehe, cool, that phone is an actual product. Now there's something for the birthday wishlist!

7. bj74cruiser

bj74cruiser Member

I might be able to finally put a point and shot entry in as I have a whole room full of retro games, pinball and arcade.

Great idea for a subject.

8. WestCoast

WestCoast Member

Woot! We're all coming over to your place! :)

9. bj74cruiser

bj74cruiser Member

Long drive for a game of Pacman

10. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

Look out for this month's P&S (Unofficial) parallel competition - same topic, same everything, only difference is it's for P&S entries...

11. bj74cruiser

bj74cruiser Member

Bring on the flames I just posted a P&S entry. :)

Yes I can see the cables, but I will try for a better picture in daylight.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

P&S competition is bollocks.

Iron Photog is all about composition, which is basically the same for any camera, look at virtvirts photo's, all taken on a sub $300 P&S.

I usually stay sorta neutral on most little arguments but seperating those of us with SLR's from those with P&S is a shit idea and will only do bad things to the forum.

No one liked that photo of Kyo's because it was boring. (no offence)

In other news, I just bought 4 more old cameras from a garage sale for $15, looks like they'll be getting Snapped!

-Lachie

13. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

With a D70, you can hardly call yourself neutral.

14. Ashpool

Ashpool Member

Westcoast teh winna!

Jeeze great entry, and in early too...That will get a popular vote...only hot retro chicks could beat that entry.

15. undef

undef Member

as an avid lurker of the forum and also watcher of the iron comp every month i have to agree with catalyst...

and i am as neutral as your gonna get.. i haven't entered the comp as of yet.. between my two jobs.. i don't have time to go take pics for myself, less even to a theme (oh yeah.. never mind that i suck at it)... plus i carry both.. my dSLR and my really basic p&s... casio exilim (like 4yrs old).. 2mp... no zoom besides my feet...

splitting is a bad idea.. the forum is here to unite, not seperate us as photographers. never mind the fact that some of the p&s entries are shit hot... you can have the world's best equipment, but if you don't have the eye... that's all it is.. expensive equipment...

now i am not sure what's up with KyocEr@... but to be blunt it sounds like someone got their feelings hurt... you had an idea.. you liked your pic... the masses didn't take to it... but it can't be the shot... so it's gotta be something else, right?

leave the comp as is...

16. B00zer

B00zer Member

damn this topic should have been january's iron designer im havin new yrs 1989 party :(

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

*sigh*

I had a P&S, I wanted quicker autofocus and shutter response so I got a DSLR, which apparently I now use to cast out the heathens.

Here's a great photo, as such it must be from an SLR

[​IMG]

-Lachie

18. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

Come now, you knew you were going to receive that response from me when you claimed to be neutral. :)

There's no need to get into random-forum-slogan-pictures. We can start another thread for that. I'd be more than happy to lend you some, too. I always welcome sensible debates, which is what's supposed to happen in a real forum. Of course feathers are going to be ruffled, but I have never resorted to trolling with the type of image you have posted (unless in absolute jest or against outright trolling, especially in the FS forums previously - but never outright sarcasm for sarcasm's sake).

undef: If you did take the time to enter shots (which you've stated you don't), and if you did only use a P&S (you also have a DSLR), I'd have no choice but to agree to disagree. As it stands, that is not the case.

19. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I have to ask, is that a GUY on the right?!?!!

And KyocEr@~*, are you whining at the DSLR guys because you feel threatened? Is the whole point of this P&S crusade to create a subgroup where you don't feel so threatened?

If you're so bitter about not having a DSLR, then go and buy a bloody DSLR. Otherwise, be quiet and concentrate on learning from the people here who take good shots and explain how they took them. I just don't see the point of going on and on about it!

Stop acting like a spoilt little kid chanting "its not fair..you've got one, I don't" and try and learn some techniques from the guys here on how to take better photographs! Jeez!

20. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

That was sort of my point, but I figured logic and sensible thinking had been ruled out.

Anyway, I'm not sure how i'm going to approach this month. I might try and do a product style shot with all this old stuff, but I don't want it to seem contrived.

-Lachie