1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Is 100hz the same as 100fps

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by justanewboy, Jun 28, 2015.

1. justanewboy

justanewboy Member

ok guys, I had another thread regarding 4k PC gaming however I will no longer be pursuing 4k as my TV and its hdmi 1.4 is not appropriate for what I want to achieve.

Hopefully my goal to game at 1080p on a 100hz TV is much less of a technical problem for me,

So that being said, my TV is 4k and 100hz (thought it was 120 but it's not) I can use 3 of my 4 hdmi ports which are 1080p ports

How does a 1080p 100hz TV translate to gaming, keep in mind I'm going to be using a ridiculous 980ti gpu to game at a measly 1080p so there will be no reasonable limit to fps on the gpu side.

Say for instance I'm playing a game which can run at 100fps because I have the PC hardware to do so, what will the TV spit out on display at 1080p and 100hz?

I'm forgetting about 4k until I purchase a dedicated monitor, assuming the PC hardware is completely capable, surely I can game at 1080p 60fps on my TV.

2. Tarkhein

Tarkhein Member

100Hz means it refreshes 100 times per second. Assuming it actually is 100Hz (and not interpolating up to it), this allows for up to 100fps in a game.

3. Velicoma

Velicoma Member

It's very unlikely your TV will display a new frame 100 times a second. As Tarkhein said, it's probably just interpolating (repeating the same frame) which means it's only accepting at best 60hz.

4. OP
    OP
    justanewboy

justanewboy Member

so a true 100hz will give you 100fps and true 60hz will get you 60fps

while 100hz interpolating is about 60fps?

so at 100hz I can get 1080p/60fps?, which I suppose is ok for a temporary set up, at least 1080p will allow me to max the settings of most AAA titles

5. Flat-6

Flat-6 Member

100Hz is certainly not the same as 100FPS.

100Hz pertains to your screen refresh rate while 100FPS is the number of frames that your are outputting via your video hardware.

When there is a mismatch between the two [ie not synced together] then this is what will cause tearing and perceived stutter on your display device.

For instance your video card may be outputting at 150FPS but your display may be set to 100Hz. What happens here is that frames will get dropped so you will experience some jerky motion or tearing every now and then depending at what exact point each 2nd frame is lost and at what exact point the display device syncs to the following frame.

That is why G-Sync works so well in that it allows the monitor's refresh rate to track the video card's FPS exactly at any point in time which results in no tearing or jerky motion and this also results in much less perceived lag when moving around in a fast moving/panning scene.

6. OP
    OP
    justanewboy

justanewboy Member

thanks guys for your answers,

are there nvidia control options that will allow me to lock frames to a maximum of 60fps so that the fps don't exceed too far from the tv's 100hz ?

in essence matching the gpu and tv so they..well "sync", assuming of coures 100hz (interpolating) translates to roughly 60fps,

7. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yep just enable vsync or adaptive vsync. Set it at 60hz as hdmi pushes this at 1080p.

You will be surprised how good it actually looks with settings max. Most of the stuff viewed on tv is only hd (although this is getting better) and is the reason blueray looks so much better. If you use Netflix the quality will be very noticable due to its bullshit drop res to help with buffering rubbish.

8. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

100 Hz is most definitely the same measurement as FPS but people just use them to measure different things.

Hz is a frequency. Ie Event per Second. Fps is frames per second. Generating a frame is an event.

Ideally you would generate the maximum frames to fit your refresh rate.

With a 980Ti at 1080P, set your monitor to maximum refresh rate and then enable Vsync.

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

don't enable v-sync enable adaptive v-sync..