1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Is 5G even possible in Australia?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by blondie_hunter, Aug 19, 2019.

1. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Its not really a technology, just a set of standards, you cant invent physics

2. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

I like that we are 7 pages in debating a topic where neither side is aware of the information they are debating.

3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Relevant... Interesting to see real world testing

4. mr_s

mr_s Member

No not really an alt, just stopped using OCAU forums is all.

GG, no RE

Hang on, have you not seen what the Chinese are doing with surveillance and "social credit"? It's already rolled out to something like a million people.
    Dude, you dont have to be a nutter/tinfoil_hatter to realise that our generation will likely be the last to truly understand the application of the word "privacy".

I fail to comprehend how this is going to work given we are still running our shit on copper from the 70s.
    Rural AUS will no doubt be left in the dust again.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

5g sucks, cant penetrate well. Just work out how to make 4G cheaper. 250/50ish 4G is more then enough for my mobile needs for 5 years.

6. Tinian

Tinian Member

This would be where our thinking diverges. For me the creation of such a capability does become systemic because once created, it's much easier to replace the required information for a specific person than it is to create the capability.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Just strap yourself in and feel the G's;

:lol:

... I know what you mean though. :)

JSmith

walker_2003 likes this.
  8. caspian

caspian Member

9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I feel that 5G will technically flop.

When I looked at Optus' coverage when they announced they went live, I looked at the maps, and the 5G capable areas looked like small dots around the areas. It looked like the activated towers each had only 1km radii, and these spots were quite far apart to look to be worth it.

Or is it just a matter of them expanding the range when there's enough demand for it?

Beyond that, they should just go back to focusing on improving 4G. There's several stretches of black spots (particularly Optus) along the East Hills train line in Sydney that just don't make sense.

11. caspian

caspian Member

any rollout will be progressive. the consumer might reasonably expect that announcing a product launch means they could actually use the thing, but that's not how marketing people think. even if the existing "network" only covers a couple of inner city blocks, that lets them launch an advertising campaign to try for a land grab on their competitors.

I don't think 5G will be a technical failure, teething issues aside it will be made to work. whether it fulfils the hype is entirely another. the point of the article is that the Australian telecommunications consumer is a historical tightarse and won't pay for something better to be provided even once the technology is available, and that's why the hype won't be delivered - there's no money to pay for it. we wouldn't pay the costs of making 4G work effectively, so why is there any expectation that 5G which requires a larger investment and ongoing operating costs again be any different?

12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Sounds just like NBN...

JSmith

13. Radley

Radley Member

I worked on an Optus project a few years ago and in every single equipment shelter the 4G equipment was Huawei. It's not like they aren't already eveywhere.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  14. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Why the false dichotomy? Why can't they do both (and other things too)?

15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Sure, but IMO the black spots I've found exist where they shouldn't, which doesn't make sense to me.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

But you don't go throwing investment money at old infrastructure.

That'd be like throwing billions at a new nation network, reusing technology from Alexander Graham Bell's time.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  17. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I know, I know... it's a wishful thinking thing, but just seems silly that it happened...

18. caspian

caspian Member

but why overbuild a perfectly good 4G network with another one, at huge capital expense, when 4G is entirely adequate for need and only held back by lack of investment... due to Joe Average not wanting to pay for it to work as well as it could, which will carry forward to the new technology?

and why throw multiple more billions at overbuilding a new broadband network when one largely adequate to need is already available? fix the bits that aren't working, sure.

it makes no sense in either case to discards literally billions of dollars of capital value just because ooh shiny. even then I'd be happy to do it if people would pay for it. as the article shows, they won't.

19. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

The one thing I'm impressed with (with 5g) is the latency. I was getting 7ms, but that was standing right next to a Telstra 5g demo booth :lol:

If they can deliver that kind of latency in the real world then its got some serious business potential..

20. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Australia needs to get 4G..heck 3G to work first. I'm in the CBD 2000 and I can't even see an email on 4G Vodafail.