is a core 2 quad system still usable in 2020?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Rod M, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Rod M

Rod M Member

Is a core 2 Quad based system (e.g. Q8400 and 4gb ram, upgraded with an old SSD) still suitable as a light web surfing PC? (kids PC, websurfing, youtube etc)

And what OS? win 7 or 10? (or it doesn't matter?)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

It's fine.

Rod M likes this.
  3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

That intended use is all you'll probably get out of it.
    Go Windows 10, or Linux.

Rod M likes this.
  4. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Should be absolutely fine for web browsing and word processing/light office tasks.

Gaming would be difficult at that frequency though.

Win10 with an SSD and 4 physical cores will be a good work horse for kids

Rod M likes this.
  5. rthy

rthy Member

As above, should be more than enough, but I'd bump the ram to 8gb if possible, maybe event some cheap dedicated gpu.

ae00711 and Rod M like this.
  6. power

power Member

is it broken? if so, decoration only.

Rod M likes this.
  7. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

My Q6600 struggled with battlefield bad company 2 as it didn't have enough CPU power which the X58 fixed, but other than that its perfectly fine for everything else but I'd replace the HDD with an SSD.

ae00711 and Rod M like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I will dig up a old SSD and see how it goes.

9. shredder

shredder Member

Borderline usable.

Modern browsers are bloated things. I had to replace a Core-2-Duo-with-SSD browsing PC awhile back, because browsing with half-a-dozen tabs open inevitably brought up the CPU temperatures and kicked in louder fan noise which, on top of the general system sluggishness (compared to an Intel i-based system), became quite a tiresome general experience.

It does work though.

And that's not to say there aren't plenty of uses for old PC's, e.g. there are a million-and-one games of the time-or-earlier that would be great on it, "embedded e.g." make it a Retropie system with a couple of cheap wireless gamepads.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  10. G-Man

G-Man Member

I use core 2 pc's all the time (e8400, Q6600, Q9450), 4gb ram and HDD's (Not even SSD's) and they are perfectly fine for office/web usage and playing all the "old" games. I say old like that because i'm still working through a back catalog from even before then...

I find win7 a bit faster than win10, but it slows down when you get it up to date. windows 10 works fine anyway so for a fresh install you may as well. I find if you have a discrete gpu in older systems it actually speeds up windows a noticeable amount.

HSV_Enigma likes this.
  11. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Dump Windows for Linux and they're perfectly usable for daily tasks, even with mechanical HDD's.

You'd be surprised just how good modern Linux is.

12. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

Never used Linux, is it free? Can you link me to a GUI version that is idiot proof, (kids)

13. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Ubuntu or Mint are pretty easy to use.

14. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Linux is free, it's also not hard to use but it's not a Windows clone - So if you intend to really make Linux work, be prepared to leave everything you may have been taught since primary school at the door.

I recommend an Ubuntu based distro, of which there are many as there is more than one desktop for Linux - That's the beauty of open source, you're not locked into one way of doing things. Due to the fact that you're used to Windows I recommend Kbuntu. Most recommend Mint, but personally I think Mint is garbage.

https://kubuntu.org/

15. G-Man

G-Man Member

flu!d likes this.
  16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I use KDE Neon myself and can't imagine using Windows now. I even play a number of Windows titles under Linux using Proton under Steam and Lutris. Currently playing Detroit: Become Human off the Epic Store and it runs better under Linux than it does under it's native Win32 based operating system.

17. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

With a little overclocking love, maxed out 8gb DDR2 of ram (might be more for the DDR3 versions), a SSD and a semi recent video card to offload a lot of tasks the good old C2Q is still quite usable for most home user desktop work.
    On the other hand, they're comparatively hot, power hungry and noisy compared to what you can build today.

18. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

I got the base system for nothing, but it is a Lenovo mid tower box so cannot OC,
    but it will take full size PCIe cards,
    Q8400,
    4GB ram, DDR3 I think.
    DVD drive,
    No HDD,
    No GPU,

it has a win7 pro key on the side so I may first see if this activates ok,

would a GT730 or GT710 card be sufficient?

19. power

power Member

i loaded Ubuntu on a Core 2 system that wouldn't update to 10 (nforce chipset) ran like arse. I was pretty disappointed, was gonna palm it off to the sisters kids. Pretty nice AIO I got for free. But yeah, runs terribad.

20. shredder

shredder Member

Same experience I had with that level of machine. Fine to boot to the desktop, and use the file browser, etc. But load a modern browser and a few tabs, and everything takes literally 5x as long as on a modern machine.

Then I tried Xubuntu and Lubuntu on the same C2D machine, and they were about 10% and 20% better respectively. i.e. 80% terribad. Which is still pretty f'ing terribad, to use for more than 5 minutes per day.

My philosopy is that, if time's the most valuable commodity a person can have in their life, it's not worth wasting somebody else's by-1000-cuts, just to save a couple hundred dollars on a slightly-too-old architecture. (obviously there is an optimal range!)

Not to say there aren't other possible uses for that class of machine.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    die_piggy likes this.