is a core 2 quad system still usable in 2020?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Rod M, Jan 10, 2020.

1. power

power Member

and to be clear the machine was running 7 before this and it flies. assume linux peeps will blame nvidia or something.

2. shredder

shredder Member

The performance between 7 and Ubuntu in most everyday tasks is about the same. So if you saw a massive difference on the same machine then it can only be some form of pebkac e.g. not set up properly.

If you're a noob to an operating system then some teething difficulties are to be expected.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. power

power Member

i wouldn't call it massive, very noticeable - yes.

of course i'm the problem though :rollseyes:

4. shredder

shredder Member

It's common knowledge amongst the many thousands of people who dual-boot both operating systems (Windows 7 and equivalent era or later Ubuntu) that there isn't any particularly significant performance difference on the same machine, when a basic correct configuration is in place on both. But as I said, you can't expect to be brand new to an entirely different ecosystem and necessarily have everything be perfect right off the bat (including your own judgements).

5. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I've run Ubuntu based distro's on Core 2 systems no problem, having said that I wasn't using the nForce chipset and have no idea how well implemented the nForce chipset is under Linux knowing how Nvidia are when it comes to binary blobs and contributing to open source projects.

In my experience, Linux is faster than Windows 7 on such hardware as Linux has the faster file system with less fragmentation issues - This point alone makes the device more usable due to decreased hard drive thrashing for no good reason which is always the case under under any Windows release from Vista onwards.

No one's stating you're the problem when it comes to Linux, I'm stating the nForce shipset could be the problem knowing Nvidia under Linux. Having said that Nvidia's binary blob graphics drivers run faultlessly for me with great performance, but Nouveau is only good for installing Nvidia drivers.

TL;DR: Linux is faster than Windows.

6. shredder

shredder Member

Hop onto one right now, and spend your day's web browsing on it. It would suck I reckon.

Doable, but slow. Just the rendering of modern web pages by a modern browser is so resource intensive now.

Open 5 background tabs in Chromium and suddenly you're +500MB RAM and 5 seconds of 50% CPU utilisation even on the old i7 I use as a daily - let alone C2's.

flu!d likes this.
  7. power

power Member

it was just a last effort for something that was going to be tossed and i'm not prepared to put too much effort into. i was surprised because it's not normally what i expect either.

flu!d likes this.
  8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Once you hit Pentium 4 era this becomes a problem, but I still find Core 2 systems cope OK. Personally I'm still running a dual X5675 based workstation from 2010 and it's performance compared to any modern desktop is very impressive - I even game on it running Windows titles under Linux with great performance.

Admittedly I have upgraded with m.2 SSD's, masses of ram and a 980Ti - But the base system is still from 2010.

I've used modern entry level laptops running Windows 10 with 5400RPM spinners and 4GB of ram that struggle with daily tasks...

9. shredder

shredder Member

Probably fairest to say the wide possible configuration range of "Core 2" systems encompasses everything from f'ing-slow to usable.

(your system being 1366 is of a newer generation than the Core 2's unless I'm missing something, but it certainly proves that some 10yo systems can still keep up, as my daily driver 2011 Sandy Bridge system can also attest).

10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

My system is second generation i7, specifically dual Westmere-EP with 48GB ram - I had a Sandybridge 2700k based system, I sold it to my nephew as his first gaming build. However, I think a legitimate point is that a Core 2 based system isn't going to be any slower than many entry level laptops running Celeron's and 4GB of ram - As brand new machines it should be illegal to sell such devices as they're barely suited to the application most expect them to perform.

No matter what the case, such a system should run faster under a Linux based OS as opposed to Windows 7 or Windows 10 - Although Windows 7 is not as resource intensive as Windows 10 in my experience.

shredder likes this.
  11. power

power Member

any Core 2 Duo or Quad system above say an E6600 that has at least 4GB RAM and an SSD should run very well even today.

12. shredder

shredder Member

E6600, 4GB, SSD. Windows 7 or Ubuntu 16+.

Show me that machine running a modern browser smoothly as you move in a normal unhindered workflow between a constantly-open everyday set of tabs including Gmail, mainstream media, social media, and forums.

I don't think you can. Based on specific, recent experience of pretty much those exact scenarios.

13. power

power Member

being that it's a while since i've done that and i don't have a current machine setup that way i can't. but the last time i used one it was perfectly fine in Chrome.

14. shredder

shredder Member

It's all very subjective but for me the threshold for an acceptable browsing computer has in recent months/years moved up to exclude all except the top end of that generation, for the sake of the user's frustration and time. But to repeat it's all very subjective, there's no absolute "you can't use this".

15. power

power Member

oh i get that, and my idea of normal is very snappy. I click, things happen no waiting.

my home PC is an i7 9700k with 32GB RAM and an nVME and work PC is an i5 4460 with 32GB and Intel SATA SSD and functionally for a lot of basics they are similar if not exactly the same.

SSD's to me make a massive difference to every PC i touch, I can tell immediately if there is a regular HDD in there.

16. Hater

Hater Member

just use less tabs?

my G4 PowerBook still web surfs one tab at a time quite nicely.

17. power

power Member

i don't understand the obsession with dozens of tabs, but will happily run up to 20 if i'm busy.

18. shredder

shredder Member

To achieve what?
    My theoretical '86 Corolladore still drives one road at a time quite nicely but I wouldn't give one to my wife to use.

19. cvidler

cvidler Member

Yep. nVidia is not great with their Linux support, they only provide closed source binary drivers, which if they stop updating them, you're left in the dark. The open source efforts have to reverse engineer things, which means they generally don't perform as well and may lack features.

Intel and AMD on the other hand provide open source drivers and full support.
    nVidias fault their Linux support sucks, everyone else plays nice.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

Multi-tasking is life.
    Tabs is love.

I've got 2 4k screens, 6 virtual desktops, a window (or more) for each project I'm working on, and each window will have multiple tabs.

Firefox when I close it says how many windows and tabs it'll close (and remember for next time you open it). IIRC my record is 15 windows and 87 tabs.