is a core 2 quad system still usable in 2020?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Rod M, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Hater

Hater Member

yes but you're not using a core4duo

you will be more efficient with a core4duo by giving all your available resources to one tab

2. power

power Member

bit different to is a C2 usable tho, we'd be thinking basic usage i'd imagine.

3. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

I have picked up a HD7850 1GB as a Gpu,

I assume this will help the Q8400 with Web browsing YouTube etc.?

4. power

power Member

to a degree, the gpu will take some load off the cpu as it will render the desktop and a few other things. also free up a little bit of ram.

5. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I've got a G4 Mac Mini here, it's useless. Not due to any lack of power (although a Core 2 Duo would absolutely smash it), but due to a complete lack of modern software compatibility - You can't even run a modern browser on it, meaning simple YouTube playback is a no go.

My retro Pentium III Tualatin PC running Windows 2000 is more capable, no joke.

Although running MorphOS my G4 is like a new machine, it flies and usability goes through the roof. I can even watch YouTube video's on it.

Having said that, Nvidia's binary blobs do perform well - They're without a doubt on par with their Windows counterparts and generally support newer hardware as soon as it's released. I have no idea how well they support nForce however, I'm tipping they essentially don't.

I've got one 4k screen, I have no doubt I could run two no problem. I run 4 virtual desktops easily, as well as Firefox with multiple tabs and a mass of Windows open. My Dell T5500 with dual X5675's, 48GB of ECC DDR3, a 250GB NVME SSD for the OS, dual 1TB spinners for /home and storage connected via a pcie 8x hardware raid controller flashed to IT mode for SATA 3 and an Nvidia 980Ti handle my workload not a problem in the world.

Virtual desktops are quite simply the best idea ever, under KDE I can switch between them by scrolling the mouse wheel on an empty part of the desktop (assuming I can find one).

You don't need the latest and greatest to do any of this effortlessly and smoothly. The biggest problem with a Core 2 based system is the fact most Core 2 motherboards run DDR2 and as a result offer limited memory capacity as well as speed. RAM is king.

6. Hater

Hater Member

TenFourFox + H264 plugin. sorted

the point is that if a G4 can do it, a Core4Duo can easily do it

flu!d likes this.
  7. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I've not really noticed a problem with NTFS fragmentation much at all provided you always leave at least a couple of Gigabytes free, I think the problem with Windows is that it is always writing stuff to the OS boot drive (pagefile?) and that can interfere and slow other I/O's for programs and data also there.

I can "show you such machines" as I think that would be just about any laptop that has a hyper-threading dual core or at best native quad core, for sure it might be a bit faster because the CPU is newer but the same number of cores as a Q6600,Q9450 just the same and people survive with those configurations.

8. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Ext4 is faster than NTFS, part of this is due to the fragmented nature of NTFS.

9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

fragmentation not really much of a issue with ssds.

10. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

It's more of an issue with SSD's running NTFS than it is with SSD's running Ext4. In fact running Ext4 it's completely a non issue.

Ext4 is faster than NTFS.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Yes it will and fantastically so!

For some reason other posters become pre-obessed with bullshit?

12. shredder

shredder Member

I said show me, not tell me. A reminder of what you're going to show:
    If you want to move the goalposts from the particulars I quoted, then that's another matter.

Fact is I've just done it recently on that exact spec, testing multiple OS's, and putting the machine into use for multiple months every day - because we couldn't afford a better "second PC" at the time - and ultimately it was determined too slow for my partner to use as a comfortable everyday browsing machine, in the above "normal use" scenario, and the eventual upgrade to an i5/8GB made a night and day difference in practice.

And that is why I say "show me", because it's nice to talk about theory, but my direct and extensive 2019 experience of this exact scenario irrevocably tells me different.

13. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

This thread reminds me to get an old C2D lappy with 4GB RAM out. When I run it up last year with an SSD it ran fine. Mind you I didnt test youtube, but did test some 1080 media and it worked fine.

I guess each user is different. I dont run more than say 10 tabs in chrome at work. Reminds me when an old manager (10 years ago) needed a Xeon workstation and then complained it was slow...20 excel spreadsheets, outlook, 20 IE/Chrome tabs and several crystal reports open. Seriously why have so much open? HTF do you keep track of all that, he crack the shits if it got rebooted due to patching overnight. I now have the Dell T3500 with hex core, 24GB RAM, SSD plus rust storage (all upgraded) which runs Win7 fine, shat on an i7 laptop ripping an BR/HDDVD. Doesnt get used for much web stuff, mainly for legacy apps for old consoles. Pondering Nix or Win 10.

14. shredder

shredder Member

Do 100% of your internet browsing on it for a week, in your normal everyday way (without compromising), then come back and tell me you enjoyed it.

In fact you won't even need to tell me, because you'll just be able to keep on using it in perpetuity as your everyday internet driver, and win-win.

But hey anyone that refuses to accept my experience of actually running one of these machines as a family member's daily driver for most of the past five years, and directly experiencing the performance decline brought about by the burgeoning resource needs of modern browsing across that time, can feel free to doubt me and spout anecdotes about how they "can still boot up a C2D and load a webpage so-whaddaya-talkin-about!", but it's not the same thing, and I'm getting a bit sick of people quoting such things at me as though they're an argument against the experiences I've related.

Anyhow point made, outta this thread for now. :thumbup:

15. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Are you talking lynxns (or what it is called these days) or links for browsing. Fuck I feel old. cmd browsing.

As I have said elsewhere on these forums, I have what I call a burner laptops. Nothing important, goes to China, gets wiped. I have supplied a few laptops to third world counties, yet they all installed Win10. Yes a bit slow, but no longer my problem.

The problem is not hardware, but the bullshit software stuck. Coding inst what is was. Forget the small RAM footprint of old (aka machine code, aka the saturn) now blotted IDEs.

16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I can honestly state I've got a C2D lappy with a mechanical HDD and 4GB of DDR3 ram running Ubuntu Mate that handles daily tasks just fine. I actually replaced it with a 2012 MacBook Pro with an i5 and 4GB of DDR3 ram and a mechanical HDD. Running Windows 10 under bootcamp the device is frustratingly hopeless - just booting to a usable desktop takes so damn long! macOS isn't so bad.

If I don't upgrade this MacBook soon I'll seriously smash it. If I don't upgrade it I'll be swapping back to the C2D lappy.

Honestly, no bullshit, under a Linux based OS I find C2D machines are still quite capable.

Having said that, I've given up on taking laptops to jobs. I take my Samsung Tab S5e with keyboard folio and use DeX mode, it's bloody fantastic! Small, light, fast, can handle any USB storage device, propper desktop, great battery life and an actual terminal so I can SSH into machines when I need to. It's all I really need.

17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Fark me. Support old an OS'es makes me sad. yet I still do it

18. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I have a q8400 8gb of ram 1tb hhd with a gt710 that has been serving as my media PC for years plugged into a Samsung 75"4K tv right now. Used everyday. Works perfectly fine. But I am upgrading it tho. Not out of need but more of a want.

If the system still works just fine. Can watch some youtube and internet browsing then it is doing its job.

19. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I agree. Up until the last couple of years the C2Q has been OK, but modern web browsing is getting a bit beyond it. Sure, it'll do most of it, but you'll be waiting a lot with cores pegged at 100% on some page that's being stupid. Meanwhile a modern system barely gets off idle to load the page noticably faster. Plus scrolling in farcebook? fagettaboutit :sick:

No, not any more. Well, not unless you like browsing with Lynx or something.

I've literally just this last few weeks retired the last of my C2Qs - a Q9550 @ 3.8 and a 771-775 modded Xeon @ 4.4!
    The first and second gen Core i series chips that replaced them are vastly more usable in a d2d fashion. Not sure what extra instructions were added going from Core2 to Core i (maybe it's just 6 cores AND HT covering it), but there's precious little feel difference between those and my more modern rigs. Quite a gulf back to 775 era.

Ninja edit: what they will do quite well is host video cards that offload x26X processing. Chuck in a baby 700 or 900 series and x264 1080p is no problem. Load up a 1030 and 4k x265 is also a go. Then you just have to decide if the idle watts is worth it :)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    shredder likes this.
  20. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

My old laptop is an X200T with L9400 dual core 1.86Ghz. I installed Bunsenlab on it and it flies. Absolutely no problem living with it everyday. The only reason I don't use it anymore is I got a surface pro 4. To be honest I still miss the great keyboard. Just now I am typing this on it for kicks playing youtube on the background and having facebook opened in a tab.