is a threadkiller overkill for gaming?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Recharge, Jun 9, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Recharge

Recharge Member

"as well" how much difference? and, what about other apps and programs and games? a one off is hardly something to make a decision on, unless you're only going to use that one thing

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Can you link me to a review of that? :lol:

3. TaroT

TaroT Member

short answer is yes
    long answer is can you wait.
    the tr4 2 will come out soonish with new boards better ram better boost etc
    if you can't wait but want to get on the wagon the a 599 1900x and a reasonable board can't really go wrong then upgrade the chip when it come sout because it will slot into a x399 board
    but then again if you are just gaming then the so called 8086 chip for $600 odd and a good board would be more suited BUT by next year they will change the boards again :) it is intel after all

4. OP
    OP
    Recharge

Recharge Member

I have to wait, I have to save up for it all.

5. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

TR is fantastic, with the upgraded versions coming shortly as well. Your GTX 680 should hold well for the meantime. From your current building to something modern, I would personally go the Ryzen 2700X. 8/16 is pretty damn nice and will also have a larger selection of very effective cooling options which, given positive thermals, the chip can be pushed further on all core clock speeds.

6. OP
    OP
    Recharge

Recharge Member

I've not overclocked since the very long ago celeron 566 ;) since the I7, I've never needed to, it takes everything I throw at it.

7. Kykachi

Kykachi Member

Absolutely fair enough, clearly by your kit's longevity it worked in your favour. Another little +1 for AMD, soldered chips, no poor quality TIM issues there.
    Also on the gaming side, the industry will need to adjust their engines to utilise multi cores and cannot stubbornly stick to single core speed.

8. chook

chook Member

This is OCAU. Overkill does not exist ;).

9. WRX_STi

WRX_STi Member

What?
    I run a 1080Ti and i get better performance with 2600X than my intel chip.
    Why are you saying only go a 1070 with AMD?

10. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

i was saying in terms of peak performance/cost - best of the best for gaming is 8086/8700k (not good with intel part #'s) + 1080 ti, and a 4k hdr (edit here + GSYNC) is as good as it gets - if he was building a system for gaming with that peak goal in mind that would be the route to take
    but if hes happy with qhd and a step back from peak performance go a amd with a 1070 and qhd screen. difference between the two options is about 4000$

when i read the OP i assumed he was balling and wanted the best of the best, and thats why he posed the tr question

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    Recharge

Recharge Member

not specifically wanting the best of the best, more a view of equal longevity to my current old arse 1336 system.
    which wasn't the best of the best at the time, but wasn't cheap either (well cheap in my budget goals heh)
    so to recap, in about 12 months I should have saved up enough for mobo cpu and ram, and possible a PSU, but sticking with current HDD, GFX and dual monitors until I can save more for them.
    which should be about $1700 gusitmated.

12. TaroT

TaroT Member

well my crysatal ball is telling me the TR4 version 2 chips and boards will be out sooner than people may think, 1950x dropped to 1089 at pc case gear and the tr4 boards are drying up which usually means new stuff coming.... so in 12 months the landscape will change again...intel have the 8/16 core on the books but then with intel its change boards and chips so long term I don't see it as being any good...the new chips supposedly will drop in my TR4 board so yeah :)

13. chook

chook Member

[​IMG]
    Threadripper V2 is coming and it will be about $3.50

zeggie and Kykachi like this.
  14. nope

nope Member

ill take two thnaks

15. miicah

miicah Member

What's wrong with Dell? Their enterprise support is amazing.

16. wwwww

wwwww Member

While I have no love for Dell (no complaints about their service but their quality control could use improving), they're still miles better than whitebox stuff.

17. nope

nope Member

MeA WAS ALWAYS terrible from the exact moment biowhore went into EA mode and got rekt by restructuring.

18. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

what do you think AMD will improve with next gen TR stuff?

19. miicah

miicah Member

10 billion cores

20. breno

breno Member

I played pubg with a guy who had a threadripper, said he had dedicated 8 cores to encoding video while he was playing.. So it depends on what you mean by overkill :D