1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Is AMD doomed?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Sundance, Sep 29, 2009.

1. sjaeger172004

sjaeger172004 Member

Lets just pray that AMD doesn't leave the CPU market as if they do INTEL will have no competitor and charge an arm and a leg for just the processor

Peach Out

sjaeger172004

2. armbarcrash

armbarcrash Member

Give the man a cookie.

That's it right there. Who else is old enough to remember the days of paying HUNDREDS of dollars for Mhz CPU clock increases? I certainly do.

That's exactly what'll happen if there's no AMD (or equiv) to work against Intel.

3. karlcloudy

karlcloudy Member

I doubt AMD wuld exit the market. It's like if nvidia did, it wouldn't be a good thing. Even if you like Intel (like me :D), you really want and need AMD to be in the market to keep competitive pricing going. The same problem would occur if Intel suddenly exited the market too

4. porridge

porridge New Member

Its these constant threads that spur forum browsers (who don't read deeper into it) to believe that AMD products must be a lesser buy due to the DOOMED hype. They then pass on an uneducated opinion of pro Intel to friends, family and elsewhere on the internet. The ripple effect continues aided by the giant marketing machine Intel can afford to run.

Oddly enough if anything will doom AMD it will probably be threads like this.
    Then the only threads we will see are ones where we the consumers are DOOMED.

5. DeadLetter

DeadLetter Member

At current it looks as if Nvidia might enter the cpu market for desktop computers, they are currently making cpu's for the newer zune player so it's only logical for them to enter the market.

I'd have to agree with you on that, because allot of people go about with saying how bad AMD is it's kinda created a feel that they really are. Strangely enough I showed a friend one of my computers and was bitching about how much faster it was than his and thought it was intel.

AMD makes pretty good processors that are cheap and affordable :) unlike intel AMD is just behind when it comes to the i stuff but that's not really an issue when the majority of people can't afford them :p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

i doubt zune cpu's will be able to compete with intel cpus...lol

i dont think amd will exit the market....ati is doing well which helps fund the cpu division...and amd make fairly ok cheap chips

7. OP
    OP
    Sundance

Sundance Member

On the contrary, the sentiment constantly being repeated on this thread is that AMD makes amazing CPUs despite the mammoth advantages (marketing budget, R&D budget, market share) that Intel holds over AMD. It was never in a position of dominance (market-wise anyway) before it screwed up with Phenom I and yet it has come back strongly, both in the CPU and GPU sectors, a testament to the quality of skill inside the company.

'Doomed' is obviously an exaggeration (also the thread title is copied from the tomshardware forums) but my main concern was with regards to the future of the CPU market - if the chasm between Intel and AMD is ever likely to shrink, especially now that Intel seems to be spending more than ever on R&D.

8. n2p4u

n2p4u Member

I believe had AMD not bought ATI, then they would be VIA version 2.....

Made Processors, Chipsets and basic graphics but has disappeared into dust....

9. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

But you have to admit if AMD is to ever close the gap it will have to be with the GPGPU segment. That's their best shot IMO. From an outsiders perspective they're in a position to develop a great product if they can get it together considering out of the three potential gpgpu manufacturers they're the only one's who have had some success with high powered gfx tech and a cpu track record. I don't remember the last awesome Intel gfx component and I'm not aware of any proven nvidia cpu designs.

VIA still makes a lot of stuff though (not all of it good) but they still are out there. Prior to Intel Atom the was really only one choice for USFF and SFF pc's

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. DeadLetter

DeadLetter Member

well naturally, but the funny thing is that for it's size it's pretty powerful. Also Nvidia have stated that they have been wanting to enter the desktop cpu market, just no clue when :wired:

11. Digit

Digit Member

i think a lot is riding on the new istanbul (i think :confused: ) cpu lineup, and whether they can give the i7/i9 a run for their money

Does AMD have/use a hyperthreading technology like intel ? i swear they use to have HT (hyper transport or something??) but there's no virtual cores like their is for intel :s maybe they didnt have HT and i'm imagining things

12. Dave2972

Dave2972 Member

AMD does not have hyper-threading like Intel but does have hyper-transport.

Hyper-threading allows a physical CPU core to be used as two or more logical cores whereas hyper-transport is a fast bi-directional communication bus.

Virtualization is a different bucket of bait (or kettle of fish). Virtualization is the running of multiple OS' on one physical computer. This is what you may have been thinking of. AMD CPUs from at least AM2 or before have had virtualization built-in for just about all CPUs. Intel usually reserve that for the upper range CPUs.

Can you try it out now? Yes you can. Have a look at this link in the Folding at Home Forum. You can have one or more virtual machines running a cut-down version of Linux (Not Freds) running Folding at Home, a distributed computing project for finding the cure to cancer and other diseases. In fact, a number of people run a full version of Linux in a virtual machine on a Windows OS. Other OS' can also run virtual machines.

I am thinking about running Windows 98 inside a virtual machine on Win7 or Vista (64 bit versions) in the near future, just to see if it can be done.

13. me2

me2 Member

apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the 386
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the 486
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the pentium
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the pentium pro
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the pentium 2
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the pentium 3
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the pentium 4
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the core
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the core2
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the i 7
    apparently amd was going bust when intel introduced the i 5
    apparently amd is going to go bust when intel introduced the i 3
    apparently amd is going to go bust when intel introduced the i 9
    apparently amd is going to go bust when intel introduced the i don'tknow

apparently its just a coincidence

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

heh.....exactly, it's been predicted many years now by the doom and gloomers :leet:

15. me2

me2 Member

apparently many years ago when text browsing and the internet was taking off, there was a survey in which consumers admitted they'd like to see more stories about a big bust...

perhaps someone mis-intepreted the survey ... :Pirate:

16. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Nvidia want to enter the CPU market, but they can't because Intel won't let them have an x86 license. No x86 license = no x86 software.

17. Marlborosmoker

Marlborosmoker Member

VIA still make processors don't they? Don't they have an x86 licence? Could NVIDIA realistically buy VIA as a means to get their hands on a licence?

This is all speculation but ION plus a somewhat competitive VIA cpu would really cause havoc in the notebook portable device field.

EDIT: Had a quick look at share prices - VIA is trading at around $18USD ($22SGP) to NVIDIA's $14.00USD. Any sort of takeover would kill NVIDIA financially. think what the ATI acquisition did to AMD on a much more crippling level.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  18. Phido

Phido Member

The capitalisations and the pockets of both companies just isn't there.

They could merge or have a strategic partnership, but both want cash, not a reason to spend it. Nvidia could be bought out by someone like apple, but not while Jobs is there. Intel doesn't want or need to touch it, yet.

19. DeadLetter

DeadLetter Member

I know, Given time intel and amd will have a third party competition and nvidia seems the most likely contender. You will never know until it happens and I can't wait for it :leet:

And the fact that nvidia is expanding the fields that they build for you can only expect them to eventually figure something out.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  20. wryun

wryun Member

Umm... share prices are not the same as market capitalisation. Think again (VIA's market cap is much lower than NVIDIAs).