Is Android mature enough for business use?

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by zfind, Sep 7, 2009.

1. zfind

zfind Member

So I'm about ready to get myself a new phone and as my new job requires a lot of time organisation I'd like to get a phone that can handle all the business-related tasks I find myself doing on my current clunky Nokia. Syncing and reading e-mails, lots of calendar work, comprehensive contact management and so on.

I've always had Nokias but I'm tiring of the slow, unresponsive OS. I don't like Windows Mobile so that leaves Android. I've had very little time to try it out and don't know what it can do, so I want to ask here - can an Android phone work well as a business-centric phone?

Thanks!

2. oculi

oculi Member

i can't help you, but i thought i would just say that i thought your thread was called "android manure" and had to share.

3. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

What Nokias are you using with a slow/clunky/unresponsive OS? Try the new ones (E71/E75, N97), they're much much smoother and faster than older models.

Otherwise, even though you say you don't like WinMo, try a couple of the newer HTCs (Diamond2 was my first thought) running it, doesn't feel like WinMo as much anymore.

Personally, I've still found Android a bit underwhelming. But maybe I just haven't had enough test subjects.

Keep us up to date with how you go! :)

--
    Nathan

4. kogi

kogi Member

Blackberry?

5. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Agree that winmo 6.5 is not a bad effort from MS and each build that comes out is marginally better than the last. With 6.5 finally being released shortly you can prob find a handset that actually comes with it, rather than retroflashing it to a 6.1 device...

I know its prob of little use for your question but you can emulate android, which should at least give you an idea of its functionality?

6. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

I'm currently using the Nokia with the dual keyboards that flip out, one for each hand. It's S60 which is OK but it's old and browsing the net is just painful.

My girlfriend has the HTC Touch Pro and while I love the style and real keyboard (a must for me btw) it just doesn't feel nice to use (the OS that is).

I'm aware that you can emulate android, so I may give that a try just to see how it looks.

7. HairyMerkin

HairyMerkin Member

What about iPhone?

8. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

Need a physical QWERTY keyboard :)

9. APFDF

APFDF Member

I don't wanna sound like an iphone evangelist but have you actually tried the iphone keyboard? It's pretty usable - I probably type about 500 words a day on it.

10. OP
    OP
    zfind

zfind Member

No problem. Yes I have used it, I had a fair bit of time with it at my last job but I don't want to use an onscreen keyboard.