Is anyone going to try the new unlocked pentium?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by demiurge3141, Jun 7, 2014.

1. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

These are good for a fun play around, also good for gaming that doesn't make use of or need the extra cores, but will lag well behind an i5 or i7 for anything that does.

Tested a couple today, this is the best of the 2. 5ghz 1.32v benchmark stable

[​IMG]

2. mr626

mr626 Member

That is a fantastic chip you have there :thumbup: Most people seem to need 1.5v and above for 5ghz

3. Sledge

Sledge Member

Why can't they release a dual core 5Ghz chip for ppl who run mamecabs etc...
    That'd be sweet !

4. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

gee I don't know :lol: I wonder why too.

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

wait... are you being sarcastic? If so, please explain why... cost i'm lost :)

6. t8y

t8y Member

its an unlocked CPU.
    the stock frequency is almost irrelevant, assuming you intend to put that unlocked multi to use (if not, why even buy this chip, theres far better multiplier locked CPU options in the price range lol)

the rest is up to you really.
    or more to the point, its up to the quality of the silicon and your cooling.
    5ghz daily on air is likely a stretch for 9/10 of the chips in retail though, if that answers your question for you?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  7. Sledge

Sledge Member

Well yeah... for mame i'm wanting a chip that is basically very close to 5Ghz stock speed.. doesn't matter if it OC's from there. as long as it's designed to run at that speed from factory..
    Not a chip that's designed to run around 3.2Ghz that we CAN run faster (if we're lucky it might get to close 4.8Ghz etc)

For mame we need Ghz !!! :) not fancy instruction sets

8. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

I'm thinking about sticking one of these in an Asus H97 or Z97 Mini ITX system for a HTPC - but I'd really like 4ghz out of it.

Will I be able to overclock it with the H97 chipset? I'm reading Asus has just allowed overclocking on the H97 but it looks like there's some limitations on RAM I can use? Anyone know what the deal is.

I'd pony up for the big shiny Z series normally no matter what but I'm trying to be somewhat budget conscious, don't need the BT 4.0 or the Wifi on the Z series.

9. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I'd think 4Ghz is a given. However it seems like a waste of a Z-series board.

10. AbRASiON

AbRASiON Member

Well I'm pretty much 95% sold on this so far.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12956
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19003&cPath=547
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=27935&cPath=1019
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28018&cPath=1490

Seems a pretty slick combo for a HTPC / potential 1080p (only) lounge PC / Steambox. Although most use would be XBMC.
    I just want the thing quiet but if I fire up a game, to be playable.

11. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

I like it how your cooler is exactly the same price as the G3258 :D

Nice looking mobo, got mine in a h87i-plus with some generic ddr3 1333 ram

12. mathiex

mathiex Member

dunno if you bought already but lots of h81 mobos will overclock this chip including:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24853

if u feel strange buying a mobo that is more than the cpu this is the go-er.

currently my rig is a g3258 and a h81m-plus.

13. BluBoy

BluBoy Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  14. t8y

t8y Member

also limited to 1600mhz on the ram with that chipset.
    still, thats probably not an issue if cost was the main concern, 1600 rams cheap too so lots extra to be saved on the whole, its probably money saved thats best put into more ram, bigger/better cooling/case, bigger SSD or better GPU etc..

15. mathiex

mathiex Member

soz mate didn't read fully about the itx requirement.

just thought i'd add to the thread the cheaper chipset option, as had not been raised yet.