Is anyone out there using the Telstra Smart Modem - Model Arcadyan LH1000

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by d-dave-b, Jun 15, 2019 at 11:15 AM.

1. d-dave-b

d-dave-b Member

I just have a question for anyone who's using this model. If you're using it can you please log in to the modem locally and check the log in advanced settings.

My Log has my modem constantly connecting and disconnecting with the following info (I have starred out the Mac Addresses.

15.06.2019 11:04:32 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G]**:**:**:**:**:**):STA(**:**:**:**:**:**) disconnected.
    15.06.2019 11:04:47 WiFi_Booster-(mymodem)IF[5G](**:**:**:**:**:**:**):STA(**:**:**:**:**:**) connected.

I'm having some connectivity/dropout issues while streaming from the internet and trying to figure out if this is normal behaviour for this model.

I know it's probably not the right place to ask this but I thought I'd see if anyone here can help first before I go to Telstra tech support.

2. darknebula

darknebula Member

They are pretty terrible from experience, but that’s just encountering a few at clients houses. Regularly outperformed by 10+ year old Telstra cable modems

3. money_killer

money_killer Member

Tried a hard reset

4. Zee

Zee Member

First thing I usually do is replace them twith a Mikrotik Hex, add Unifi for wifi, and plug it in from one of the Hex ports if the phone is needed.

They are an absolute horrific piece of shit.

Z...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019 at 3:41 PM
  5. OP
    OP
    d-dave-b

d-dave-b Member

This is sarcasm right?

Nuts. That’s really not cool to hear. Do Telstra have other options or is this all they’re using at the moment?

6. Zee

Zee Member

I'll put it this way - got sick of wasting time on jobs that don't work properly due Telstra routers. My field is home automation, and it's very network reliant these days. Those routers simply can't be trusted. Luckily, Mikrotik HeX routers are literally plug and play when it comes to the cablenNBN HFC gateway boxes. they are $100, and are the most stable routers I've ever used. I'm sure the proper network guys will give you examples of better routers, but nowhere near the ~$100 price tag.

A Unifi AP AC xxx (choose the model of your desire) will finish it off with decent and solid wifi. My home system has been running without a reboot for over 3 years. Oh, and changes are applied on the fly with Mikrotik - no pesky reboot when changing IP ranges, ip address reservations etc.

Z...