1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Is curved worth it?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by rickbishop, Apr 19, 2017.

1. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

So I'm planning my next rebuild, and given the length of time I tend to keep a system for (still rocking a Q6600 rig), I'm looking at going high end to give the maximum life.

This means a BIG 4k monitor. I'm thinking 32" up to 40".

Now I've heard about the 40" Philips flat, but it seems to be EOL, and been replaced with a curved one. So in this size, is curved worth it? I'm sure it would take some getting used to, but as they say, you don't know how awesome something is until you've had it and had to do without.

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I think HDR, Freesync/Gsync, IPS and Refreshrate are more important

3. power

power Member

4. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Before I bought one I thought curved was just another gimmicky concept. I was wrong. I love the curved screen for gaming and I do think it is much more immersive.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

100% agreed. LCD is terrible technology, and all of the above are finally making it less terrible after this long. They're the first things I look for when buying a monitor.

The only thing I'd add would be objectively measured input lag (via a Leo Bodnar tester or similar device), but that's more an issue for console gamers than PC gamers.

6. spank36

spank36 Member

Theres the LG 38"? Or a 34 ultrawide?

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

I run a pair of 32" 4K flats. and recently upgraded the TV to a 55" 4K flat.

instore demos of curved screens didn't do anything for me.

(FWIW I don't game on my PC, but have a XB1S on the TV)

8. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Yeah nah, not digging the ultrawide concept.

9. power

power Member

I've imagined a curved screen in my living room and I think it'd suck - surely you have to sit directly in the middle to be able to appreciate it properly.

As far as those suggesting ultra-wide, I know a bloke that bought one - loved it at first, then got really sick of the stupid resolution because it's uncommon.

10. ysu

ysu Member

Personal preference, and only works if you're the only one looking at the screen. A sideways perspective is rubbish (i.e. someone sitting not completely in front of the screen - e.g. next to you).

Get the 43" philips instead ;)

11. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Curved is only good if the monitor is filling your entire field of vision.

Kinda like wrap around sunnies :)

I've got a 31.5" AOC Agon Curved for my racing cockpit. Works fine because of how close/far you are from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  12. spank36

spank36 Member

AOC are bringing out a curved 32 inch 144hz 1440p, should be available next month. One might tempt me back to the 16:9 world

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

40+" curved would be awesome. Whether it's worth it? Well overall if it adds to your experience then I'd say yes, but it's debatable whether you really would notice it after a week.

14. voltare1

voltare1 Member

Could get a 40" 4k tele, depending on its support for game mode.

15. havabeer

havabeer Member

I just went from 40" 4k Phillips to an average x34 curved.

Personally the curved isn't worth it at all, the gay community and higher refresh rate is

The curved is just a gimmic in my opinion, but there's no real 30" + high refresh + gsync + 4k monitors out at the moment

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

That would be a downgrade to me.

It feels a bit that way yes.

17. havabeer

havabeer Member

Honestly I've swapped between the two to show friends and the screen tearing and roughnessof the 60fps its quite apparent. But yes graphics wise big step down

18. xplod140

xplod140 Member

I thought it would be crap but anything wider than a 16x9 32" seems to look better with a slight curve.

I had a flat 34 ultrawide and could see a tinly blur towards the edges but now have an LG 38 with the most minimal curve I don't even see it when sitting centred.

As for TVs, I wouldn't go curved as you don't sit so close.

19. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

You'd really need a tight curve to really appreciate the difference of the curvature when sitting in front of the monitor TBH.

The X34 Acer Predator has a very slight curve and only perceived when viewing the screen from above or at the very edge of the side. When in front, effectively the screen is as flat as any other flat screened monitor.

The X34 Predator is not there for the fact that it's curved, it's there for the IPS screen coupled with 100Hz refresh in an ultrawide format.

20. OP
    OP
    rickbishop

rickbishop Member

Yeah, a drastic curve would probably end up shitting me. The 40" Philips only has a slight curve, so it wouldn't be too bad sitting 3 feet away from it.