Is Dr Google keeping you employed ?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Syklone222, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Syklone222

Syklone222 Member

Hi forum dwellers,

I am curious if there is an ongoing trend in the IT sector from staff/end users become experts and using Dr Google to 'fix' things and thus, making a simple issue, more complex or worse, just fucked (or fucking annoying).

While I am a field tech who focus's on Desktop/Laptops and all ye Windows SOE in business areas (I am not a fan of ma pa work - I leave that for harvey norman), I find that my extra workload comes from people who Dr Google something and then add to my day.

Examples are;

- "hi tech support, I just read on Google that Excel has a hidden game in it that I can play, can you show me how to play it (during work hours)"

- "Hi tech support, I read on google that we can speed XYZ up by editing the registry. Can I have access to edit the registry of the accounts computers."

And so on, but then I also get the add ons where its a personal laptop/PC that the user has at home to use when 'working from home' and they decided to Dr Google and fuck things over worse.

I know this is a grey area as we need staff working, whether at the office or at home and we try to stay well away from it too, but its amazing at what people google, and then decide that "Yep thats the answer for me" and the end result is, why does my webpage redirect to a Russian search engine / dating site? Or it was working fine and now it doesn't boot up. or some other thing.

With users becoming more IT aware, is it also becoming more common for them to try to self help and create a worse outcome, than asking for help?

Anyone here have similar issues or noticed it sometimes become more evident on a given day? Share away.

2. NSanity

NSanity Member

Most users are useless in my experience when it comes to wrangling the google search terms to do what they want.

3. scrantic

scrantic Member

Agreed, simple how to do things in office that we'd find the answer to on google in 30 seconds they don't even bother to search for.

4. Embercide

Embercide Member

I on the other hand wish more people would use google before calling our support line. It would greatly reduce the calls we get..

"Hi Hello How do I ping an IP address"
    "Google it"

5. ECHO

ECHO Member

Yeah, it's the clients that know JUST enough to be dangerous ;)

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Actually there are two other factions far worse than the Googlers:

1. The "Friend of a Friend". Aka those who have "a friend/son/family member" that "know a little bit about computers" and "are a whizz on computers at home" coming into a business environment "to fix things".

End result: Normally a massive headache, and some really stupid shit done. Expect whiteboxes, expect lots of consumer level crap, and expect bucketloads of free / pirated software installed on servers, and the cheapest of cheap gear used (including modem/routers you've never even heard the name of, but they were the cheapest they could buy from the local computer market). You'll also find open shares and default passwords galore.

2. The "Cowboys". Generally seen as your "Ma and Pa" Mr Fix It computer shops. Cowboys find their way in and "dabble", applying home user fixes to business environments (often with no regard or forethought). Much like the "Friend of a Friend", it often results in the cheapest of cheap gear being installed, and completely lax password requirements. Open shares are the order of the day, and "everyones an admin", because it's easier than fixing a problem. Pirate software may be used, and consumer based antivirus and other products are definitely on the menu. Generally the server is treated the same as a workstation and chock full of "whatever shit we could install on it".

End result: Can be anywhere from a completely dysfunctional setup, to complete and utter horror.

7. Jai

Jai Member

I pride myself on my ability to keyword search once and find what I need in the fastest possible time, ensuring my users get their issues resolved as quickly as possible. A lot of people are not good at determining the best keywords to use to find things, and often find themselves lost and not finding what they want.

At the end of the day we are all not exposed to all issues, so the community of IT professionals and enthusiasts that share advice whom aren't hoarders of their experiences makes for a greater good.

8. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

How often should an IT professional be reverting to Google to find answers?

It's far to common in this day and age for people to put their blind trust in forum posts or random comments, and do whatever is requested blindly, without understanding it.

9. NSanity

NSanity Member

Google is my prompter. I work across ~200+ sites of varying levels of "niceness" in terms of how the network is setup.

I have typically read about the issue and problem before, I just don't remember the exact specifics (usually syntax or switches) to go about fixing said issue.

Since I setup Confluence, an awful lot of my previous "let me just google that again to get the page i remember reading" stuff is winding up in our documentation wiki - which is probably a good thing (god forbid they actually kill the page).

It also means that I can link more detailed stuff (e.g technet links, etc) to it, and add comments where appropriate for other staff (or even myself).

10. caspian

caspian Member

the latter is the problem, not the former. there's nothing wrong with using reference material, nobody knows everything. the challenge is that when it's on the internet, you need to choose your sources to trust wisely and carefully.

11. Gunna

Gunna Member

Taking the time to understand what a command line does is a key point as well, learn what it does then next time try to do it yourself is the best way to learn i found. I think there was a page showing how a site could hide a command so when you copy and paste it copied a malicious command and not the one you thought you were using

12. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

This one :)

http://thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste

Very much so, and its becoming harder and harder to do, especially as more and more places just cross link, or rely entirely on user generated content.

Technet forums are probably the worst place to go to for advice... but 'its Microsoft' counts for a great deal in the eyes of the uneducated masses.

13. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I get alot of people coming up and asking about why we can't implement solution X or "I know whats wrong with my computer, its Y".

I usually draw this up on my whiteboard for them when it gets.....challenging.

[​IMG]

(sorry about the 5 minute MS Paint drawing).

Having said that - Google is good for quick lookups - if I need to knock together a script which needs to query a SQL server for info, and I need to work out the ODBC conenction string/code.. I'll usually google / copy / paste / change.

14. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

it took you 5 minutes to do that?

you should've googled how to ms paint in less than 5 minutes.

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

For me a good analogy to this thread, is this.

Problem = Destination
    Reference Books = Street Directory
    Google = GPS
    Actual Troubleshooting = Getting from Point A to Point B safely
    Problem fixed = Safely arriving and gettnig back home

I'll use my GPS if I'm not sure the best route to take, or haven't been there enough times to know the route. Sometimes I'll rely on it 100% if its a completely unknown area, and other times, just to get the final 10% of the way there.

16. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

I use bing for the extra challenge

17. OP
    OP
    Syklone222

Syklone222 Member

I thought you would use the "Deep Dark Net / TOR" ? :)

18. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I Asked Jeeves... He was most unhelpful.

19. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Hey - I have a team to run you know :lol:

20. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

Oh.
    well in that case you should Google how to delegate in 5 easy steps.