Is it illegal to crate a dog?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by snake86, Oct 20, 2010.

1. snake86

snake86 Member

I got a knock on the door from the RSPCA today...Apparently they don't like the fact that I crate my dog (a german shepherd) even though I take it for lots of walks (8-10 a day), keep it in the front yard when its sunny and keep it nice and healthy.

The dog is mainly crated overnight when I am sleeping and stays in there for roughly 4-6 hours a day. I keep the dog inside as all my neighbours smoke and my previous dog died prematurely from cancer possibly from all the passive smoke it has inhaled.

Now, the RSPCA is threatening to take him away from me unless I put him outside ignoring the fact that I take very good care of him and that he is not in the crate for very long.

Is it really illegal to crate my dog?

2. HeXa

HeXa Member

crate as in "wire cage not much bigger than the dog" or "indoor dog mcmansion"?

3. $qwuzzy

$qwuzzy Member

Pics probably required...

4. OP
    OP
    snake86

snake86 Member

So it is? I really love my dog and no way do I want it to be taken away. I want to know my rights and not just give into these RSPCA guys who have nothing better to do then to harass my family.

5. scottyboy5588

scottyboy5588 Member

I'm pretty sure crating a dog isn't illegal otherwise I know alot of people who would get in the shit for crating their dogs at night or when the house is empty.
    How big is the crate itslef? Has he got room enough to turn around/lay down/stand up?
    Maybe RSPCA came around cause someone thought that the crate was too small?

6. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

Off the top of my head it is not per se illegal. It may fall under some vague "cruelty" issue. I would specifically ask to see the legislation or guidelines they are going to use against you. They should be able to provide that to you so as you can better treat your dog. If the local branch or officers are dicks, then get advice from a state office.

7. lethoso

lethoso Member

That's a little bit crazy.

RSPCA probably came around cos you're neighbours think you're a weirdo who keeps his dog in a box.

8. yucatan

yucatan Member

...and they'd be right, but it's no different to training your dog to hang out in a doghouse.

9. craz3d

craz3d Member

except the one in the doghouse can walk aroudn in the yard..

would you like to be kept in a caged box for 6 hours a day, with no fresh air?

10. RhysG

RhysG Member

But if everyone's smoking then there wouldn't be any fresh air :tongue:.

11. craz3d

craz3d Member

What sort of housing do you live in?

If you have a yard big enough for a german shepherd, neighbors smoking isnt going to cause any more problems than a car driving past your house..

12. Cererus

Cererus Member

How do the neighbours know you crate the dog if you keep it inside so it doesn't die from passive smoking? (highly unlikely your old dogs cancer was because of this)
    Maybe there are other issues they perceive is bad treatment of your dog or they just hate you.

Could never understand the idea of crating, you should never lock a dog in the house unattended, if you don't have a secure backyard you shouldn't have a dog.

I've had 3 dogs over the last 25 years, they all got a personal space to sleep in which I wouldn't go to if they were there,
    if they were being annoying like hanging round the kitchen while preparing our dinner a command would get them to go to their bed and wait.

13. ricky60

ricky60 Member

I have a secure backyard, which I'm happy to keep my dog in, however my neighbours beat the fence (literally come out of their house) if she barks even once. Unfortunately, after complaints from council (without the neighbours directly talking to us first), we just don't want the hassle, so we keep our dog inside more often. (before people tell us we should treat the barking, we have actually filmed her while we are away, and she barks less than 1 minute per hour...well within acceptable, but our neighbours demand silence, and we don't really want the neighbour situation to get any worse).

To be honest, she isn't happy being outside if it's wet or cold.

What I don't like is people tying their dogs up under the house where they can't walk around, or putting them in wire cages where they can't get enough shade or a place to run. It's far more cruel the people who buy a dog, put it in the backyard, don't walk it, and don't spend any time with it.

In regards to the OP, the ambiguity of the thread means noone can really comment - pics of the "crate" and then we'll have a debate over whether it's cruel.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  14. OP
    OP
    snake86

snake86 Member

Thanks for all the replies. It wasn't the neighbours who dobbed me in but the mailman...he was delivering a package and saw the dog in its cage. He could have at least spoken to me but he dobbed me in behind my back. Btw, the dog room to move in the crate and a fair bit of clearance when hes sitting down.

15. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

I thought mailmen hated dogs???

16. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Wow and I thought I was being mean for keeping my cats in the house all the time :lol: Sorry dude but keeping your dog in a crate... I dunno about the legality but um yeah... How did you reach the conclusion that your previous dog died from something related to the smoking? I'm not trying to be harsh here but I really want to know.

17. OP
    OP
    snake86

snake86 Member

18. fallen_dragon

fallen_dragon Member

passive smoking outside doesnt kill anyone, dont believe the lie.

as for keeping your dog in a crate..... without knowing the size etc of said crate, all I can say is poor german shepard. stuck in that all night and 4-6hrs a day (more realistically 6-8 once we factor in internet rounding to make ourselves sound better) sounds pretty awful. I couldnt imagine my dogs not having the freedom to wander around on the lawn etc, and to be honest the whole smoking thing seems like a weak excuse for something else.

19. _Raz_

_Raz_ Member

nice to know OCAU has no idea :tongue: . There is nothing wrong with crating your dogs. But the dog needs to be used to it, its not a good idea to try and start creating a dog mid life for example.

I have two 60kg dogs, both are create trained and have no issue being in a create. At the moment i only use them when there is a big storm so i can keep my dogs out of the rain in the garage. When my children where younger i used to create the dogs inside the house in the afternoon/evenings so the dogs could be around the family without have to watch every little step.

and a crate isn't inclosed, its a mesh of steel in most cases so they have full view in all directions.

20. millhouse

millhouse Chief Tiger Dentist

From http://www.dreamdogs.co.uk/passive-smoking-can-kill-your-dog-1865.html :
    No. Those statements are false, actually outright lies.
    - Toxic fumes do not produce a cold, Rhinoviruses do (and I have not come across one that does in the dog)
    - Just because your oesophagus is shorter does not cause quicker allergic reactions. Shit if that were the case poor bloody mice must have a hard time.
    After reading that bullshit I would disregard (and have) the rest of the "article".

Apart from that, certainly passive smoking is likely to have some negative effects on pets. Being exposed to it in an outside environment seems quite unlikely to be linked, but not impossible, just really unlikely.