1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my router, or me?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Arch-Angel, May 11, 2020.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Hi all,

I've been using an ASUS RT-AC88U for some time with my iiNet ADSL2+ connection, but was never able to use it as a modem - i basically could only get an internet connection on it if I used iiNet's supplied modem/router in bridged mode.

I had assumed at the time that it was some issue with my settings, or hardware... or just me. But it was a system that worked so I left it for a couple of years.

I've just taken delivery of an NBN FTTC unit (an NTD? or something?), which i was hoping I could finally plug directly into the WAN point of my router... but again it's not detecting the internet...
    Without changing any of the settings, I plug the NTDinto the WAN port on my iiNet modem (still in bridge) and then from it's LAN to the WAN port on my router, and the system works.

Am I missing something here? Do I always need to have a bridge device for this router?

Did a search, and found this on the WP forums:
    https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2546282
    This advice seems to suggest to me that I'm always going to need to use a modem in bridge mode... but I'm not sure if it applies to FTTC?
    As always, this n00b appreciates any help or suggestions!

2. Renza

Renza Member

you should be able to direct from the ntd to your router. Since you're with iiNet, you will probably need to set a vlan id of 2 on the wan interface to get it to work. And you will need your PPPoE details too

The NBN NTD is a modem itself, you will always need to use that since it powers the device down in the pit.

some info here that could be useful: https://help.iinet.net.au/o/iinet-broadband-settings-list

side note: if the model is correct, then you wouldn't have been able to use it as a modem with adsl

3. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Thank you very much for this.
    This (if I'm understanding you correctly) is what I thought should be the case - the NBN NTD is essentially a bridge modem itself.

Where i'm getting lost, i think, is that the settings of my router as it was working with ADSL should work just the same now shouldnt it? That is, the PPPoE details?
    I've never heard of a 'vlan id' so I appreciate that heads up - will look at those links and see what I can work out.

4. Renza

Renza Member

reach out if you need a hand :thumbup:

its a bit of a hidden option. If you go to the LAN tab, then IPTV across the top, select Manual setting, then enter 2 for internet

[​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

You're a proper champ! Thanks mate, really appreciate it.
    I'll give it a go as soon as the kids go to bed. Heaven forbid I interrupt their replaying of Frozen 2 for the eleventy thousandth time...

6. power

power Member

rather than bridge i would set the WAN to DHCP and connect to any LAN port on the ISP equipment. That's what I do on my RT-AC68U and cable and what I assume I will have to do when I am forced onto NBN.

DSL I used to use bridge, not the cable though. Can't remember if i had to do anything on the cable but don't think I did.

If there is actually a better way to skip the ISP modem that would be super great, so i'll be keeping an eye on the thread.

upload_2020-5-12_8-59-51.png

7. Blinky

Blinky Member

Hey guys, I’ve just rather blindly ordered a RT-AC88U from Amazon and after watching one review on YouTube I’m scared that the thing won’t fit it my Telco cupboard where my NBN fiber is.
    Would one of you be kind enough to measure your AC88U for me please?
    The other thing that occurred to me after watching the video is the power cable to the router’s psu, is it just a normal triangle shaped three pin going into the psu, that I can pickup from jaycar or Officeworks?
    Sorry for the lack of thinking, I shouldn’t e-shop without sleep....