Is it possible to dual boot winxp?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by MadOnion87, Aug 12, 2002.

1. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

i now have 2 partition and winxp on C:
    i want to install another winxp on D: for only benchmarking
    but i don't know if the will screw my comp up
    any idea?

2. Webmaster_Zeus

Webmaster_Zeus Member

It won't let u install twice as u already have a copied install on your hard drive.

Xp tends to write data to the first cluster of your hard drive, and it'll do a search for it before it installs it.

what u can do is rename the directory of your current windows xp directory, and install another copy of the other xp in the other partition.

After your done with it, delete the copy of xp on the D: partition, install another copy of xp into C: partition, and copy the contents of the old xp folder on C: partition to the xp folder that u'd just install to.

Or otherwise if possible make an image and just copy it back if it screws up.

3. SHoNKY

SHoNKY Member

It should be possible, boot up with the setup cd in, and when it asks where you want to install xp, point it at d:, it should install on that drive, and it should set up the boot menu for you as well.

Hope this helps...

4. Webmaster_Zeus

Webmaster_Zeus Member

The user wants to install 2 DIFFERENT copies of xp, not xp AND another OS.

5. Plexxx

Plexxx Member

Yep NP's

You can actually install 4 copies of xp on the one drive if u want to, u will need to look up these system commander 2000 or later and ghost7. DONOT TRY TO BOOT OPERATING SYSTEMS ON DIFFERENT PHYSICAL DRIVES UNLESS U KNOW WHAT U ARE DOING!

Simply create a PRIMARY PARTITION on your boot drive leaving room for the second partition afterwoods. Install your XP on this primary partition, install system commander, use the partition part of system commander to create the rest of your primary partitions then use ghost 7 to copy partition to partition and the next time you boot system commander will automatically see a new operating system and guess what you now have two.

If you need help and you are prepared to pay for it, the tech @ www.littlecomputers.com.au setup a 120gb split into 4 primary partitions booting 98se, w2ksp2 & 2 x XP Corp. useing both Fat32 & NTFS

There are other ways but this is the easiest, Partition Magic Sux...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2002
  6. SHoNKY

SHoNKY Member

I understand what MadOnion87 wants, and it is possible, just tested it myself.

All you have to do is boot from the cd, when it asks you to install a fresh copy of WinXP by pressing escape, do so, then setup shows a list of partitions that it is possible to install Windows to, just select D:, it will install to that drive (format or leave partition intact is up to you), and set up a boot menu so you can select which installation of XP you want to boot.

7. OP
    OP
    MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

you sure it won't stuff up?
    i will try it in saterday or sunday

8. Webmaster_Zeus

Webmaster_Zeus Member

Ah I didn't know that. Well I guess I learnt something new today. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

I'll give this a try at the end of the year when I have more time.

9. SHoNKY

SHoNKY Member

Yeh it's fine Mo87, if you don't want to overwrite what's on D:, like I didn't, just make sure you select "Leave file system intact", and it will install XP to D: without formatting the drive 1st.

10. OP
    OP
    MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member