1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it safe to put new RAM in my mobo?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by C4P741N, Nov 15, 2002.

?

Is it safe to put new RAM in my mobo?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Maybe, try the 128MB

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. C4P741N

C4P741N Member

It's amazing how easy it is to accidentally put DDR RAM in the slot the wrong way around, that's exactly what I did earlier, it resulted in some magic smoke coming from the RAM. and one of the RAM slots pins turning black :(

It surprisingly didn't take much force to insert it incorrectly, and the pins that burnt out are shown below

| = normal pin
    B = burnt pin
    b = blank
    ^ = physical key

Side with chips
    ||B|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||^bb|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Side without chips
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||bb^|||||||||||||||B||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The pin in the socket that lines up with the burnt out pin on the side without chips also burnt out.

I'm about to search for an answer to the following myself, but am posting this now to keep all my bases covered, I can buy RAM tomorrow morning, and was planning on attending (my last) LAN (before I move) tomorrow night.

So is it safe to try and run new RAM in my mobo (in a different RAM slot). There was smoke coming out of one of the two chips near the burnt pins for the short period before I cut power, now if I turn it on without RAM I get a C1 error from the post port on the mobo meaning bad RAM/no RAM/bad RAM controller and a long beep.

The other alternative is to just get a 128MB stick of PC2100 if it might work, otherwise I have enough money to get a 256MB stick.

Sorry if parts of my post are hard to understand, I'm a little angry at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2002
  2. OP
    OP
    C4P741N

C4P741N Member

45 views, one vote and no replys. :mad:

I had a similar thread going over at Atomic, and got a few replies, I ended up getting a stick off a friend and would buy him a new one if I killed it. The system is running fine now with that stick, so you can all start voting yes now :p

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

the lack of replies shows that it's not something that can be stated for sure, either way.

when the magic smoke makes an appearance it's pure chance whether something will still work or not.

4. OP
    OP
    C4P741N

C4P741N Member

Yeah, I wasn't too surprised about the lack of replies, I normally know what I am doing and if I had killed another RAM stick it would have put my bill right up, 2 X 256MB stick & 8K5A3+ :eek:

All this and I'm about to move, well at least its only the RAM :D

I was hoping someone would be able to work out what the pins that burnt were for to try to work out whether any extra voltage had gone into the mobo. Well its working now :cool:

5. OP
    OP
    C4P741N

C4P741N Member

Well it isn't completely fine, I'm running the CPU at stock now (RAM still at 166), at 2000+/1660MHz, it seemed alright for a few hours of net browsing, but Prime95 had errors within the first few minutes of testing. I'm thinking of putting the voltage up to 1.85 for 2000+ (used to be able to do 1.75) to see if that helps, but I'm still happy that my machine still works and I'm not stuck on the Celeron 533.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2002
  6. karn1911

karn1911 Member

First of all you're a klutz for being so clumsy. :)

As looktall said it's pure luck if it works or is borked, by the looks of things your RAM slots are still running fine. Atleast you won't be making the same mistake in the future. :)

7. Dr Dremel

Dr Dremel Member

Start shopping for a cheap board, not much to do if the one you have is physicaly broken in the memory slots.

Put it down to experience, sometime which is expensive, look on the bright side the rest of it is OK, depending on what your after $100 may be enough for another board, even a good new one is only $250, ask Pluscorp they have a heap of boards for sale cheap in the for sale section.

Something there may work for ya.

I have straightened the contacts with some success, but if they are missing there aint much to do.

8. OP
    OP
    C4P741N

C4P741N Member

Well, my wallet only has coins in it after buying the RAM, hehe, I'll continue with this board, even if I have to run at stock (which Prime95 handles fine for 4 hours), I'm thinking of getting a hammer (assuming they are as good as everyone thinks) or a hyperthreading P4 mid next year. If this thing dies I'd probably get something like the ECS Sis 735 board (forgot the model number) because they are cheap :)

9. Dr Dremel

Dr Dremel Member

Buying cheap gear is a waste of money, sorry but it's true, as you will end up buying again or having something that lasts the warranty then dies.

wait, spend a little more and have a trouble free system.

10. apollo

apollo Member

What IS amazing is that you did that. It's not easy at all.
    Back to your question, try some el cheapo RAM out and see if it works.

11. Dr Dremel

Dr Dremel Member

I would have thought the offset lugs would make it impossible to install the chip backwards, you must have used a hammer to install the memory.

slow up a bit.