Is it safe to run Dali Zensor 7's from Yamaha v377

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Xizor, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Xizor

Xizor Member

Hello all, quick question if i may as there is a 40% off at my local on the Dali zensor range of speakers which i am tempted to take up..

I currently have a Yamaha v377 (i.e. budget..) receiver driving some crappy old Welling fronts/center/surrounds. I was going to hold out for another year before replacing everything but this Dali sale has caught me by surprise. If i were to buy the Dali Zensor 7's, in addition to the center and Zensor 1 for rears, can i get away with using my existing receiver as long as i don't try and drive the volume too loud until i find a deal on a more powerful receiver? My use is 50/50 music/movies and listening distance is 9ft.

Thank you

2. Technics

Technics Member

Looking at the specs of your receiver it should be able to deliver 70W to the speakers (possibly not all at the same time but it will rarely be expected to). That equates to about 107dB (at 1 meter from the speaker) for the Zensor 7 and 103.5dB for the Zensor 1. 70W is nicely within the recommended power ratings of the speakers. They are both capable of 3dB or so more sound pressure if you max out their power ratings (150 and 100W respectively). Is it worth replacing your receiver for an extra 3dB at what are already fairly high volumes? 3dB isn't that much but it's personal preference (I wouldn't bother).

3. OP
    OP
    Xizor

Xizor Member

Thank you very, very much Technics! This is one thing i have never gotten my head around, i'm not worried about max power/volume as thats a simple upgrade later, but i would be devastated if i damaged the speakers with an underpowered receiver...!! :)

4. Technics

Technics Member

You will be safe unless you severely drive the receiver into clipping for prolonged periods (which is normally very audible and unpleasant). This can damage tweeters. This danger of doing this tends to be overstated though. It's one of those things that is often discussed as though it's a well established fact. It has a solid theoretical framework but is only occasionally observed (because most people turn it down when it starts to sound awful). Speakers are still more likely to be damaged by excessive power for prolonged periods delivered by powerful amps than from clipping of underpowered amps. Speaker makers tend to make certain assumptions about the relationship between peak power and continuous power to ensure the drivers used won't overheat. These assumptions usually hold up for movies and most music but there are rare exceptions.

5. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I had been running the Zensor 7 with a Yamaha RX-S600. The RX-600 (slimline) is also 5-channel and has a similar power output as the 337. No problems. As Technics said you are well within the recommended power ratings of the speakers. I always had the feeling though to "undercharge" them. I have recently changed to a more powerful Sony 1060 - and it's quite difference. While it seems perfectly safe to run the Zensor 7 with the 337, I think you are not utilizing their potential with the 337.

6. OP
    OP
    Xizor

Xizor Member

That is very interesting to hear Chainbolt! What have you noticed the most with the increased power? A sense of fullness?

7. Technics

Technics Member

Just bear in mind that when comparing apples for apples the DN1060 is really only 100W/channel using the same measurement method as the Yamaha's 70W/channel. That's 1.5dB or so. Which in volume terms is just above what is generally considered to be a discernible change. There are many reasons why receivers sound different though. Particularly between different brands and especially if you use the automatic calibration features and brand specific processing modes.

8. Dropbear

Dropbear Member

who is having a 40% sale on Zensors???

never mind, it's JB

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. OP
    OP
    Xizor

Xizor Member

Yep JB. I picked up the Zensor 7's, 1's for rears, and vocal center. So far sounds nice and crisp with my little amp. See how they are after a couple of weeks use.

10. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

A/V and speaker sound "impressions" are always so subjective that I hesitate. First of all I feel a basic sound difference between Yamaha A/V and Sony. Yamaha A/V sound seems to be warmer, but for me also a kind of "mixed up" (I don't know how to call it better), while Sony 840/850 and 1050/1060 appear somehow clearer and more "separating" the sound stages. This is a matter of taste, and its relevance might also depend on the type of music you listen. The difference between my previous Yamaha RX-S600 and the Sony 1060 is clearly the greater power output per channel though. The 1060 delivers 165 watt per channel, while the RX600 is delivering 110 Watt at 6 Ohm. The Zensor 7 speaker sound "fuller" at any sound level with the Sony, in particular when you increase the sound. I think there will be no problem to run the zensor 7 with a Yamaha 377, but I think you are not utilizing the potential of these speakers.