1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth getting a SSD for HTPC?

Discussion in 'HTPC' started by ndt, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ndt

ndt Member

Ok first off i know its probably been asked before so apologies in advance but i searched and couldn't find anything.

I have an old laptop that takes sata drives and has DVI output, so i was thinking of using that as a HTPC with media running off an External hard(firewire probably) or some form of network storage.

so is it worth buying a SSD for the OS and apps? as far as i can see even if the OS ran quick it would still need to wait for the media to catch up yeah? so i don't think its worth getting one. But i hope you guy can shed some light on this for me.

2. aokman

aokman Member

All comes down to what u want it to do, any normal hdd can easily handle a 1080p stream anyway... No need for a ssd really.

3. yoink

yoink Member

No.

The only time you see any real benefit is when booting and Win7's sleep mode works very well, so you shouln't need to reboot very often.
    I've tried both methods, and using a SSD is a complete waste - the SSD now lives in my laptop, and I'm using an old 500gb SATA drive for the HTPC :)

4. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Actually, it depends. If the disk in the laptop is quite old, it's probably quite slow also; there are some HTPC-type operations that do require disk IO (extenders, for example, if you run Media Center).

My HTPC uses a cheap Intel 40GB SSD for the OS and a 500GB disk for recording; compared to the previous iteration (which had the same build) it's instantaneous start on playback instead of 1-2 seconds (or longer). Basically the cache of thumbnails etc is far, far faster on the SSD, as is loading codecs etc.

For <$200, I wouldn't hesitate.

5. aokman

aokman Member

I don't see the point I can't recall any sata hdd that is that slow, my pch has no issue with 50gb movie streams using 100mbit and I could never see a hdd being slower than that...

6. OP
    OP
    ndt

ndt Member

Actually i never really thought about that, so the thumbnails will come up quite quick, yeah? that in itself might be worth the cost of a 32gb SSD, currently i have quite a delay waiting for 500+ movie thumbs to show up.

Im planning on running vista hme prm mce, with media browser.

7. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

Well I think it's better. Naturally I'm not immune to the psychology of replacing something with an alternative that "should be better" ... there's the placebo effect, it's not a double-blind study, I've never measured it.

8. DJester

DJester Member

I replaced a 7200 rpm drive with a ssd a few months ago. To be honest it doesn't feel like that big of a performance difference (compared to using the ssd on a desktop/gaming machine)

9. Dingarth

Dingarth Member

I just did it on the weekend 7200rpm to ssd.

I have noticed startup is a lot quicker and also thumbnails etc i reckon are also very quick now.......i'm happy.

10. Tekin

Tekin Member

I'm tempted too for a slightly different reason.

If you were running an SSD as the boot / thumbnails / cache drive - you can then utilise slower / quieter / cooler running 5400 RPM drives for storage.

I've got two of the WD cavier greens in mine, and it would be tempting to put an SSD in there as well and see how it runs.

that said, it's not exactly slow at the moment, so i might just end up throwing it in a laptop

11. swong

swong Member

I use a SSD in mine.

I shutdown the computer rather than put it to sleep, so booting up with a SSD is significantly faster than with a mechanical drive.

Also, when you have a huge database of videos/music/pictures as I do each with their own thumbnails and background art, loading these items is a lot faster with a SSD. It just feels more responsive.

So for me, it's definitely worth it. For you, it would depend on your usage.

12. timsarg

timsarg Member

i have an SSD only in my drive . All video is coming from the nas and you cannot hear my pc at all .