1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth having a dedicated physics GPU?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Seanay00, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

As the title states I'm looking into a physics card. I've got a LAN box setup with a i7-980, rampage lll gene, and an Asus GTX670 DCUII. Do u get much more performance with a dedicated physics card? And what card should I use?

2. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Only games that support PhysX will possibly benefit from a dedicated card. Although its now considered pointless & somewhat just a waste of money/time. Even if you have an awesome second GPU to use for PhysX & played a game that was heavy on it, you won't see any performance improvement as equivalent as SLI.

3. OP
    OP
    Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

Yea thanks dr evil that's all I really wanted to know. It's only my LAN box so it will only ever going over 1 monitor and the systems pulls just over 10000 points in 3dmark11 so it's got plenty of grunt.

4. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Short answer, no. Long answer, no.

5. Rezin

Rezin Member

noooooooooooooooooooo.

6. OP
    OP
    Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

Haha. I'm guessing no is the answer?

7. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Purchased a gtx 650 and used it for a physx card for about 6 months, too few games use it and the effects though nice didn't add anything to the gaming experience so ultimately wasn't worth the slot it occupied. It's now idling in my server.

8. davros123

davros123 Member

I get the short answer, but please expand on the issues raised in your longer answer :)

9. starkers92

starkers92 Member

All it does it hog PCIE lanes/bandwidth. I tried a 670 + a 260 on Borderlands 2, Batman, and Metro 2033. It actually had significantly worse performance and slowed down Physx heavy scenes to <20 fps. YMMV. Just go SLI instead :thumbup:

10. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

No. put a poll up and see what the general consensus is.

I never understood the whole physics dedicated card for gaming phase was all about, just seems waste of time.

However some peeps get shitty old Nvidia GPUs from back in the day and use it as a dedi physx card so the cost isnt that expensive if you want to give it a go

11. OP
    OP
    Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

Yea well I would love to go SLI in this box as the 2 PCI-e lanes are both x16. I'm gonna do a test tonight with 2 670's in it to see what it pulls. I have it all jammed into a thermaltake A30 game cube. It's been an interesting build. :)

12. OP
    OP
    Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

And I don't have an old Nvidia GPU lying around so I would have to buy something either way. So if anyone is selling an asus gtx670 DCUII let me know.

13. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

I had a spare 240, 260, 8800GT and 9600GT. I picked up the 650 for the 260 performance but crazy low power consumption/heat.

So for a bit more detail, the games I used it for were Borderlands 2 and Arkham City. Having played both without physx for a while then going to physx gave me 30 minutes of "this is cool" but after that I didn't even notice the effects. Pulled the 650 out and played BL2 and really didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

If all you're trying to do is reduce gpu overhead and have physx on then sure go for it, but for the money spent you're probably going to be half way to a second hand 670 that you can sli with your current card and still run physx on the handful of games and beat the crap out of every other game.

14. OP
    OP
    Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

Yea that's what I'm thinking. I have 2 of the same cards in my main rig and I could upgrade that and use one if the cards in the LAN box. But if one pops up here then I'll consider it.

15. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Thanks to nvidia, they killed physx GOOD and DEAD.

If they hadnt of blocked people from using ati/amd for video and nvidia for physx, there would be lots of people out there with two cards in their machines.

But no. Nvidia are a bunch of fucking idiots.

16. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Member

Seems pretty fair to me. You want PhysX, you buy an Nvidia GPU.

17. OP
    OP
    Seanay00

Seanay00 Member

Lol we'll said. But just like any good idea, the people who create it stop it for no good reason!

18. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

It's really easy to get hacked up to date drivers, the gt650 i was using was paired with a HD7970.

19. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Its dead tech why bother:rolleyes: The only game i ever played with it was mafia 2:o Trust me your not missing out.

20. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

But they did buy an Nvidia GPU. They just also bought an ATI one. Its still a sale, and it would mean you might see more adoption of physx in games when its easy enough for the ATI camp to get a 2nd card.