Is it worth upgrading to a 6700k from a 2500k?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by P00peyes, Jun 5, 2016.

1. P00peyes

P00peyes Member

So I was planning on upgrading in the next couple of weeks but after reading a couple of reviews I'm now not sure if it's worth it...

My system is mainly used for gaming with a 780ti @1440p. I was planning on getting a GTX1080 also.

Judging by the things I've read I could see a performance increase between 10-25% (currently running at stock clocks but could probably go to 4.5ghz).

If I only opt to replace the graphics card, would I see a bottleneck in performance due to the older chipset and PCIe 2.0 instead of 3.0

What are some of the other benefits I could see with Skylake as apposed to Sandy Bridge?

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Did it from a 2600K at 4.5 GHz. Not really worth it for replacing my whole base system. You will get better value just upgrading your GPU.

GPU Bandwidth doesnt really hold you back.

Realistically, do the GPU, see how she goes. I doubt youll need to upgrade the rest to get a massive performance boost and you will save yourself $1000 or so.

3. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

Seems like you're asking us to justify your upgrade for you. Well let me just say this. It is ok to upgrade to newer technology purely because you want to and want to spend the money on your hobby.

As for whether it's justifiable with real world results... While you will get better performance with a new i7 over your sandy bridge i5, is it ~$800 worth of better performance? Judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhuC8Tf9i3I

While that is testing several generations of i7's, including the sandy bridge 2600K, hypertheading still isn't benefiting gaming in any real way. In some cases it hinders performance.

---

4. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Thanks for posting that link! Has definitely help make up my mind. I think I'll be staying with the 2500k for a little while longer yet. Although there would be some increase in performance, I don't think the the amount is worth the extra ~1000

5. nushydude

nushydude Member

I would upgrade, only because I love upgrading my PC. But it is an unjustifiable cost if you look at only the $$$ to performance gains.

You should overclock that CPU btw. Performance with 2500K @3.3GHz vs 6700K @4GHz could be substantial, but 2500K @4.5GHz vs 6700K @ 4.5GHz wouldn't be.

Some of the reasons for jumping on the new platform would be
    -PCI-E x4 M.2 SSD support,
    -more USB 3.0,
    -better audio (has nothing to do with the chipset or the platform though),
    -more feature rich Mini-ITX boards (yes, I am into Mini-ITX),
    -lower power consumption (not a lot, but they all add up),
    -better onboard fan controlling (again, has nothing to do with the platform and has a lot to do with the small Mini-ITX system restrictions),
    -PCI-E 3.0 (won't make a noticeable difference though)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  6. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Cheers for your input. I'll definitely crank up the clock speed of my current CPU. I know it's capable of running stable at 5ghz but think I'll settle for cool 4.5ghz :thumbup:

7. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I have both here and the 2500k cuts it but the 6700K with fast ram is smoother but no better fps. I moved from a 4770K to the 6700K and didn't expect a difference but it was definitely there. Weird. Who knows maybe it was the fresh OS I did for the 6700K that helped.

To be honest recently I was running the 2500K and a 680 under water and was wondering why I have my main gamer which is 4930K and 980 Classified. I have come close to selling my main setup a couple of times and downgrading a bit (or just clearing some gear :wired:).

8. motion2082

motion2082 Member

You will get an additional 30fps for some games that utilise the CPU

New technology, if you got the cash I say go for it :leet:

9. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Yeah... no forget it.

Not worth the cpu motherboard and ram cost not even close.....

Then the pita of having to redo your system....

If you really want to blow the cash just buy a 1070 video card.... probably be cheaper and give you more of a performance boost

10. power

power Member

no, just no.

GPU only imo is all that's needed for you OP.

11. OJR

OJR Member

What crack are you smoking dude?

12. TaroT

TaroT Member

if thew system runs fine grab a better newer video card...when the system does not work fine then upgrade.
    ddr4 prices have dropped a lot in the last 6 months and I think they will drop more...cpus won't until there is some competition.

you will get a better overall system but the total cost will be a lot, you will get some bottlenecks but gaming won't be that bad unless you play a lot of really cpu hungry games, you just have to ask yourself is it worth the money

13. Rhimes

Rhimes Member

There are some awesome GPUs inbound. Save the cash and upgrade the videocard if you need to do something now.

Personally, I'm saving my cash for mid to late next year. Vega GPU or perhaps 11xx series from NVIDIA, maybe Skylake-X, possibly a Xpoint SSD and memory out and at a decent price by the end of the year.

14. OP
    OP
    P00peyes

P00peyes Member

Update.

Upgraded the ram from 8gb 1600mhz to 16gb 2133mhz

Overclocked CPU from stock to 4.8Ghz @1.32v ~ 65 degrees at full load

Bought a Kingston Hyper predator 240gb PCIE SSD

Replaced the gigabyte windforce 780ti with a MSI gaming X 1080

Overall spend was around $1600

Smashing it on all games with max settings @ 1440p - guess the 6700k was not necessary :thumbup:

15. motion2082

motion2082 Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

Not all games but you do get a better frame rate with a 6700k over Sandy

Overclocking your 2500k will give you some good results but your running a high voltage it may not be very stable. Not to mention the extra power you're using.

You did the right thing upgrading your GPU. Seems like you're a gamer so not point wasting your money on a 6700k for minimal gains https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EJNa0y524

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  16. OJR

OJR Member

17. staffy007

staffy007 Member

Yep 1070 and oc on cpu problem solved :thumbup: