Is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Antstar1M, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Antstar1M

Antstar1M Member

So, I have a very nice and costly setup from 2012. An i7-3930K and 670 GTX 4GB, both on an overengineered watercooling setup and have been happily running a good overclock for the last 6 years.

Since I'm not sure where to get the best figures, I turned to passmark. I see that a new high end CPU is about 2x the score and for GPU, around 3x. Of course this isn't the whole story, because though my memory is overclocked too it is DDR3 and can't compete with the new stuff.

I recently pulled the whole thing apart to inspect and clean, for the first time - its held up well. Now I need to decide whether to recondition everything as a labor of love or buy new equipment. Now I'm tight enough for money at the moment that I don't want to buy new stuff. The question is: Do these scores I found represent reality? Am I looking at a 2-3x increase in performance by buying new equipment or would it be more in the real world?

I am not looking for specific suggestions as to what to buy. Just some informed opinions as to whether new equipment is a couple of times faster than what I have or actually a lot more? :)

2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

CPU should be holding up pretty well, the GPU likely less so. If you have the upgrade bug, I'd suggest going to a newer GPU. GTX10xx series should start to get cheaper around here over the next few weeks.

3. Leigh M

Leigh M Member

Sure if you upgraded to current gear your PC would be faster than the one you're using, the question to ask is; Is your PC doing everything you need it to now without issue? If yes then it probably won't be worth upgrading especially if you're a little tight at the moment, although it would be worth saving for a new build as yours is getting a bit old. A GTX 1060 6gb card is almost twice the performance of your current card as suggested by d1ng0d4n

4. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

I'd just change the video card out for now, but with the recent release of the 2xxx series, I'd hold out for the 2060s (or 1xxx price drops / used 1xxx flood) unless you really want ray tracing and drop the big bucks on a 2070/2080/2080Ti.

If you were considering the platform, at least wait for 9700/9900Ks and Z390, then you can compare/contrast between Ryzen 2. I'm in a similar spot with a 4790 non-K (but I have a 1060 so I'm good on that front).

IMO it is a 'bad' time to upgrade with so much coming out.

Another consideration, flash, RAM and GPU pricing may be a lot lower in 6-12 months.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  5. SebaBunnik

SebaBunnik Member

If your thinking of upgrading then its best to wait for the stock market to drop so the price of the pc parts become cheaper.
    I have a pc with a core 2 quad and it still runs some games ok (Chicken Invaders). it all matters if it does the job well. If so then you should probably just stick with the one you have.

~SebaBunnik

6. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

3930k should still hold up reasonably well clocked up. Even more so now thanks to horrible NAS powered consoles making multi-threading a much bigger thing.
    GTX 670 is absolute trash though. Sold a 1060 a while back for like $170, so just keep poking around for a 2nd hand card if games are your main concern.
    Modern SSD drives are big, cheap and fast as hell if you just need an overall system speedup.

7. terroristone

terroristone Member

im still using my current rig in my sig, i upgraded my gpu on release of vega and play games at 1440p and have no issue with frames dropping below 75, even though i get the bug to upgrade i dont see the need as its doing everything i need it to do, so ive gotten into other hobbies like long distance target shooting and pistol competitions... much more fun. i wont be upgrading until games can cripple my system.

T1

8. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

+1 what do you use the rig for? What resolution monitor/s?

9. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

Pure bench marking programs give you an indication of best case scenario. For CPU the only programs that utilize them to their fullest potential are CPU based rendering programs in all honesty. Games and adobe for example don't use CPU's at 100% so while you would see increases you're not going to see 2-3x the frames from a cpu upgrade IMO. Especially since you are water cooled and can produce a stable overclock.

The gtx 670 is the real issue. And you would see enormous gains from upgrading. With the 20 series close to release, there will be a flood of second hand 10 series cards on the market. Alot of them with waterblocks, the reason for this because the people who can afford the 20 series cards often have custom loops and are looking to offloard their 10 series so they can upgrade.

So yeh, still tight until the 20 series arrive and pick up a used 1080 or 1080ti with a water block from the for sale section.

Another thing is a new case will make a system feel brand new, so maybe look into that if you want the warm fuzzies from a new build :)

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I just recently upgraded from 3960x @ 4.5ghz with 1600mhz DDR3 to 8700k/3600mhz DDR4.

I game at 1440p.

Normally gaming at 1440 and beyond is ALL video card and cpu barely matters and for the most part I found this the case getting almost same performance as my mate with 8700k in some games, but was the odd title where he had 20+fps on me.. So I made the decision to upgrade and seen big improvements in:

-GTA 5
    -Far Cry 5
    -Tom Clancy's: Wildlands

and some games no noticeable difference such as PUBG.

If you game at 1440/4k just do GPU and for most part itl be like new, but odd game will be bottlenecked by CPU. If at 1080p you got lots of FPS to gain from CPU & GPU changes.

A budget upgrade that would yield big improvements would be a used 6700k & 16gb DDR4 with something like a GTX980ti which would be cheap as now.

11. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I used to have a i7-3770 @ 3.2ghz, 16GB DDR3 @ 1833. I then went with a Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8ghz and 16gb ddr @ 2800.
    Like walker, I game at 1440p. With my build, I didn't see as big of a jump in FPS. However, I did see a nice bump of 10-15fps depending on the game. The biggest increase for me was multitasking and the general usage of my PC. Much more smooth and efficient experience.

walker_2003 likes this.
  12. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

If you don't change GPU I'm not surprised, however was there an appreciable increase to minimum FPS?

13. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I've got a 4930K, a GTX1070 and a 144Hz G-sync 1080p XB270H monitor and I play everything OK at that res. with that so all I could suggest is a mid level upgrade for the video card to say a used 1080 or 1080Ti and that should be OK for even up to 1440p. When I do upgrade it will be to an ultrawide monitor and hopefully 4K rather than 1440p so I will then have to upgrade everything.

14. Starky

Starky Member

Those benchmarks likely provide a reasonable estimate of performance in productivity tasks vs newer hardware. Not sure how much that matters to you though?

For gaming, You would need to have ~GTX1070 performance at 1080p res and aiming for high frame rates to warrant an upgrade to the rest of the system at the moment. A GPU upgrade would make a significant difference to your gaming experience though, highly recommended.

I don’t see a significant drop in 10 series new pricing in the near future (few months) as nvidia have priced the next generation largely above the 10 series pricing in their first release. Second hand market however could be a good place to look for one with ex mining cards being vomited out.

SSD vs HDD is a no brainer, everyone should do that.

15. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

+1 Nice turn of phrase, that's where I got mine and it's working beautifully.

16. Starky

Starky Member

Yeah, I think most cards are going to survive the mining rush pretty well and are worth consideration, particularly if you know a bit about the environment they were used in.

Axial fans like being vertical and ball bearing fans will have no worries.
    Factors contributing to fan failure would be:
    High temps (temp shortens bearing life)
    High speeds
    Dusty environments
    Cleaning with compressed air (can cause ingress of foreign material into some bearings, unlikely though)

The biggest concern outside of fans in my opinion is components operating out of spec - too hot or too much power.
    I’d avoid low end cards (msi armor) which lack active cooling of memory chips and power FETs as those components are liable to run hot in those conditions.
    It’s unlikely miners are exceeding current specifications as cards get too inefficient mining at high voltage & freq.
    Another argument for high end cards - they probably have more, higher rated power components sharing the load as well as the active cooling.

So, don’t write off mining cards; just assess the risk and pay a price which accounts for it.

17. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Most mining cards I've seen running are undervolted and underclocked, and many users will actively put extra cooling on the VRAM, so I don't think heat stress would normally be a factor anyway? IMHO a card only needs to last maybe 3 years tops before you want to upgrade to the next-next-next gen card so if longevity is a concern (for anyone), I wouldn't worry about it. Just ask the miner whether they changed the BIOS and whether they can revert to the original BIOS before you pick the card up.

18. Starky

Starky Member

OP, AIDA64 provides a good memory benchmark if you want to see how your memory stacks up against modern systems. You’ll need to obtain a key to unlock the full suite of tests though.

You’ll probably find that your quad channel DDR3 is pretty close to modern two channel ddr4 mainstream systems in throughout but falls behind in latency. Probably not a major concern.

Again, new GPU and an SSD is probably all you need to get your system performing well in games and general use.

Used Xeon chips can be a good way to gain cheap productivity performance improvements on older HEDT platforms. They had unlocked multipliers back then too I believe.

19. dohzer

dohzer Member

I'm finding this thread interesting.
    I also have a GTX 670 which has been holding up fairly well for the last century (or how ever long it's been), but definitely looking to upgrade.

I was thinking of getting a full new Ryzen/nVidia setup, but reading the replies, maybe I should just grab GTX 1080 Ti or something similar in a month or two.
    ... And then look to upgrade the rest of the system if I'm still not happy with the performance boost?

Other stats:
    Intel i5-3570
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    G.Skill 2 x 8GB (F3-2133C9D-16GXH)
    Gigabyte GTX670 (GV-N670OC-2GD)

20. RK7970_

RK7970_ Member

My old custom watercooled 3930k rig still puts up a very strong fight if it has the appropriate ram and GPU. While I was waiting for parts for my new rig I had a single 980ti and 32GB DDR3 @1600Mhz and AAA games ran on it easy. Go for a new gpu first and re evaluate what you need to upgrade afterwards. x79 is still a very strong platform if you saturate the quad channel ram bus.