Is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Antstar1M, Aug 23, 2018.

1. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

dohzer, the worst you can do is upgrade the GPU (which needs doing anyway), then find it doesn't improve to the degree you want it and move it across to a new build. If it does solve the issue then great, your current rig lives to fight another day.

2. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

I was facing the same question today....
    I have a 4820k, and found this benchmark

And the guy has done quite a few different benchmarks in various games...
    It was interesting to see that there is sweet fuck all improvements from a 4820k to a 8700k if they are both running the same video card and high resolutions

pwlm1975 likes this.
  3. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah i've only got an i7-2700k that i haven't even needed to OC yet, only thing i have upgraded is the GPU a few times (currently waiting for 2xxx to drop)

4. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

hmm.. the 4820K is pretty much a quad channel 3770K on the 2011 socket..

it would be interesting to know how the hex core variant would hold up 4930K...

5. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

I think that maybe the quad channel mitigates the speed advantage DDR4 has, leaving you with just the IPC and clockspeed improvements, which can be negated by overclocking... And since games don't really take advantage of more than 4 cores, the only reason I can see to upgrade (if your system is mainly used for gaming) is RGB support, as you can get pcie cards that support nvme drives

6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...invest in some alcohol wipes...who knows? something will crap out eventually, then you'll have to decide on something :D

7. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

From everything I've read, quad-channel RAM makes bugger-all difference for gaming compared to dual-channel.

Leave it at that!

adamsleath likes this.
  8. dohzer

dohzer Member

Yeah, pretty sure that's what I'll do. Can't hurt. :)

9. terroristone

terroristone Member

i looked into upgrading many times as well, but running high res pretty much all cpus equal out. keep the GPU current and keep upgrading the monitor seems to give the improvements. unless your living 15 years ago and running 1080p then the cpu plays a roll. I dont game as much as i used to and almost bought a new monitor for 144hz but didnt bother as gaming only 3-6 hours a week its no real advantage for me. Ive never had a budget and can afford whatever i like but as ive gotten older im enjoying spending money other other hobbies that are more fun. Go buy and rifle and get into long distance target shooting and see how enjoyable that is and you'll soon forget about the computer.

T1

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

naw, don't be like that.
    1080ti still has to be toned down to run some games at 1080p/144Hz and SLI is virtually dead so these 4k/120Hz screens etc. are gunna struggle until we get some real gpus.
    Anything less than 120Hz is more painful than a few jaggies. 1080p still has an albeit rather small future. :)

11. staffy007

staffy007 Member

just do the gpu if you got your 3930k at 4.3-4.5 and a 1070 or 980ti at 1440p your still doing good fps, still use my 4930k system 780ti really often and it still does great ,had my titan in there when i was moving and it kicked ass

pwlm1975 likes this.