Is my gpu about to die?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Moarkill, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Moarkill

Moarkill Member

So my r9 290x is running at normal Temps. However is is whining when I move the mouse cursor.

It also buzzes like made when I run deadspace unless I enable vsync.

No artifacts, not too hot. Just the whining when I move the cursor

2. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Sounds like coil whine. Some cards are just really bad for it. Generally the higher the fps, the more whine you get. Which is why limiting your fps or using vsync to limit the fps will usually make it go away, or at least soften it.

My 1080ti screams its tits off when I play minecraft and it hits like 2000fps. :p

Annoying, yes. will it kill anything? no.

Maybe look into power saving options on the video card? Maybe it's just clocking way too high at the desktop causing the whine.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Can this occur or become more apparent with age? Had the same card in the 2500k system and didn't notice it. Upgraded to ryzen and it started

4. straiton

straiton Member

AFAIK sometimes if you raise or lower the 3D clocks, it can reduce or eliminate it. It's like changing a components natural frequency where it will oscillate

5. james150

james150 Member

As they age its most certainly possible the glues holding the coils together start to break down. Saying that most whine out of the box.
    Most likely the combination of new components triggered it

Things that may help if its whining on the desktop
    -Disable powersaving in the gpu drivers and set windows power settings to 'high performance'
    -Try disabling different speed-stepping and power saving settings in the motherboard
    -Try a new powersupply if you have one spare, some trigger coil whine more frequently than others.

6. FOTW

FOTW Member

My R9 Fury has a slight coil whine once FPS goes above 120. I just limit my games to run at 100 FPS. Sometimes under volting the GPU core a small amount might reduce it.

7. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go. Strange that it only started when I changed from a 2500k to a ryzen 2600. Maybe it's the increase in fps due to the better cpu

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Is it relatively clean of dust?

9. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Yeah it is. Have a small leaf blower I use regularly