Is my receiver powerful enough for my speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by TomJ, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TomJ

TomJ Member

I am running a 2.0 setup at the moment in my mini HT/Family room. I have had the amp volume at 75% (60/80MAX) and it produces pretty good sound, although I have never had speakers nearly as good as BA a360's. At 50% (40/80MAX) volume I have an average sound for watching TV, does that seem too high? I used to have a Sony 5.1 setup and I remember the volume at 25% (20/80MAX) was pretty loud which makes me think that these speakers need moar_powa!!!

The amp is a Pioneer VSX520 (Output @130W seems to be good enough on paper)
    http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/archive/VSX-520-K/page.html

The speakers are Boston Acoustics A360
    http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/P...ics_US)&Pid=A360Floorstanding(BostonAcoustics)

2. linkdup

linkdup Member

Your new speakers are just harder to drive and not as efficient as your old ones. This is not a bad thing. Your amp is sufficient as the speakers are rated to manage amps between 15-200 watt, as per BA website. Don't worry to much about it unless you hear clipping sounds when you are playing.

3. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

I would be highly skeptical if your receiver can put out an honest 130W per channel :) Most likely the receiver can put out 130W into a single channel provided none of the other speakers are connected, and even then I would be skeptical of the 130W claim.

Do you know what clipping sounds like? It may be hazardous to continue running your amp at this level if you can not recognize the sound of clipping.

In the end there is no harm in getting moar powa. If you can afford it :)

4. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Interesting too that the receiver is rated at 130W into 6 Ohm. Generally they're rated into an 8 Ohm load (which would give a lower power rating).

Your speakers are 8 Ohm, so you should think of your amp as somewhere around 100W/ch I suspect.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

That is, if they are being honest with the specs :)

6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Heh, yes. Maybe let's say something like 0.75x the power at 6 Ohms (at a guess) :)

EDIT: actually, it'd probably be more like 0.85x ...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  7. OP
    OP
    TomJ

TomJ Member

110.5W per channel @ 6ohms...

I have had no such crackling/fizzing/distortion issues from these speakers. I just gave them (and me) a workout playing guitar hero! \m/

The features and inputs on this thing are plenty full for the price and market range... (the speakers are plugged into the F section)
    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/vsx-520_rear_callouts.jpg

I found this image saying that it is infact 110W per channel
    http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/500x_pioneer_5-1_receivers_chart.jpg

8. steffan72

steffan72 Member

I'm sure that it may be 110W 1 channel driven.......maybe even 2 channel driven.

But if you have a look at the power specs on the back of you amp it will say 450W

divide that by 5 channels and you have a max of 90w 5 channel driven.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.

Same with my denon avr. it says 105w * 7 at 8 ohms but when taking into account the wattage on the back it is in reallity only about 85w per channel .....7 channels driven

9. linkdup

linkdup Member

So let's say that you are getting 100 watts per channel from your current setup. If you purchased a 200 watt amplifier which is the maximum recommended for your speakers, you would only get a 3 dB increase in sound. It would barley make a difference. So what would be the purpose of moar_powa then:confused:

10. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

You need moar powa so that your amp doesn't clip. Even if it doesn't clip, distortion goes up the more power an amp is asked to make. Clipping and distortion not only sounds bad, it also fries speakers.

11. linkdup

linkdup Member

He specifically said that he has no problems with distortion or crackling issues. So you would assume from that statement he is not having any issues with clipping.

12. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Provided he knows what to listen for.

(edit) I should elaborate. The first sign of lack of power is compression of the transients. When music suddenly goes louder, your speakers should go louder with it. When you listen at lower volume, take note of how much louder the transients go. When you have the speakers turned up, the transients do not seem to go very much louder. Amps like those receivers have very little storage of power (that is what those giant capacitors on audiophile amps are for) - any increase in loudness must be "funded" by the amp power supply, which is usually limited in cheaper amps. Result: the amp tries to deliver current that it does not have, so it distorts.

13. linkdup

linkdup Member

Amfibius, are you sure your not an audio salesman... :D ... If not you should be :thumbup:

14. OP
    OP
    TomJ

TomJ Member

I probably don't...
    I'll try listen out for these 'transients'

15. Red Spade

Red Spade Member

Your speakers are reasonably efficient, but it sounds like you would enjoy a bit more oomph in the amp department. Check out Emotiva power amps. You can drive speakers with amps much more powerful than recommended, as long as you do it with some sanity. I've driven floorstanders with as much as 650w! It was a bit of a lesson in how much you can get with more power. You can quite safely do it, as long as you leave that extra power for headroom, and don't insist on finding out where the limits are!

Realise also that when you talk about the volume knob being at 40%, it tells us very little. You have no idea of how much power is being used based on that, as there are too many factors we don't know. Turn an amp up to 50% and how much power are you using? It could be less than 1w or the thing could be clipping!