1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Is the Kingston SSDnow V300 unreliable?

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by orangepeel376, Jun 12, 2016.

1. orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

Hello everyone,
    I am choosing a budget SSD for my old laptop and the SSDnow is the only budget SSD my local computer store has in stock.
    I have heard lots of bad things about the SSDnow V300 after Kingston quietly switched to lower quality NAND which had a massive performance decrease. I dont really need it to be super fast (Just faster than a HDD) but I want it to be reliable.
    Will the SSDnow V300 be reliable?
    Thanks guys:)

2. noobmastery

noobmastery Member

I've got one running my VM server with no issues, runs the OS + 4 VMs no problems (currently 90 days uptime)

3. congoh

congoh Member

Kingston brand is reliable enough (like all major brands) but like you mentioned, performance hit from change in NAND is significant.

Is your laptop SATA2 or SATA3?
    Try using SATA3 if you have one. SATA2 will limit your max transfer rate to 270Mb/s.

4. Crusher

Crusher Member

We used to use the kingstons in client machines and digital media players, but after a string of failures have stopped and now use the Samsung 750's which have had 0 failures to date.

5. OP
    OP
    orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

SATA2, but it runs Ubuntu so the speed isn't to bad with a spinning HDD, I just want to have something more reliable.

6. OP
    OP
    orangepeel376

orangepeel376 Member

What Kingston SSD were you using? Was it the SSD now or something else?

7. bluedraco

bluedraco Member

I used a lot of V300s, mainly before but still some after they changed to the slower memory (before it was discovered). None of them have failed whatsoever.

They are old drives now though, there are much faster (and better) choices available including the Samsung 750 mentioned above.