Is the mac pro a good computer

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by hVDflu, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Crash Dummy

Crash Dummy Member

Mac Pro. Buy it as an expandable creative platform if you love making movies, photos, doing graphic design, rendering and shit and maybe play an occasional game. But for the love of god if you want to play games don't buy one. That means running windows and why would buy this kind of hardware designed for a operating system that isn't particularly games friendly.

If gaming is your thing buy the highest spec PC you can afford. You'll get a lot more performance for your dollar by buying a standard consumer level hardware platform then a professional workstation let alone an Apple workstation. Also graphics cards for the Mac Pro are hella more expensive and still second to what's available for PC.

2. xcalibur

xcalibur Member

Yes, the mac pro is a good computer </thread>

3. Shadow_n

Shadow_n Member

Sure it's good. It you totally ignore the cost and the fact that its a mac. :p

4. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

If you have to ask this question then you probably shouldn't be buying a mac pro :)

5. jastormont

jastormont Member

You summed that up. :D

6. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

They may be overpriced, but getting a custom built computer to run Mac OS X without any hassles with updating it, etc, is more frustration than it's worth (yes, some people persevere, I think they're crazy). I ran a hackintosh for two years and then decided I'd had enough of having to manually patch kexts, replace files, run scripts and commands etc every time a new security update was released & so bought an iMac and a Mac Book Pro.

To the OP - if you don't need expandable hardware later on, but still want a 'Mac', consider the top end iMac i5 or i7. I have an i7 and it is awesome. I've migrated all my disk space to removable storage, and am about to invest in a QNAP NAS of some type.

7. zerassar

zerassar Member

Last I saw the Mac Pro's had not had a hardware refresh for quite sometime.
    Better value at this stage is the 27" IMac's as they have better processor and larger harddrive.

Only reason I would get last years MacPro is if I required the multiprocessing provided by dual quad cores.

My 2 cents would be to spend that moola on a custom machine. Better specs for the cash.

The only reason many businesses I have had dealings with before prefer pre-made workstations is that often they have easier to manage warranties and make life less complicated for the finance dept to make claims on tax etc for.

8. elilindner

elilindner Member

Buy a base spec Mac Pro if you need a high quality workstation and want to use OSX, presuming the imac isn't expandable enough for your purposes.

Otherwise anything like a HP Z400 will be similar quality if you want to run windows 7.

To be honest I wouldn't be touching it unless I needed the full capabilities of a Mac Pro, ie dual, quad core processors and 16gb+ of ram.

I've used both a full spec mac pro and hp xw6600 and they are both pretty similar when it comes to windows performance. both had configurations in the $12,000 mark.

9. rubix

rubix Member

I'd buy one if I had the money, they're a joy to use in my experience and I love OSX to bits. Granted I was only using one for a few weeks during work exp but I certainly think they're worth the money just so long as you're not going to be playing games! The new 27" imac is very tempting and there have been a few sell on the forums here in the last month or so, maybe pickup one of those instead if you don't want to drop mega cash on a mac pro.