1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

is there a board with ram speed lock?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by MoNk{LAH}, Mar 16, 2003.

1. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

i'm sure my tbred can overclock higher, however, my a7v266e is limited by its FSB to about 160. my ram cant go very high either (150mhz max), but i wanna overclock more.

Is there a motherboard on the market that allows u to "lock" the speed of the ram (like keep it only @ 133 or something), while you increase the fsb? i know a lot of u may think it's stupid, but i cant run my ram as high up as the fsb :(

thanks

edit: and no, i'm not going to buy new ram atm...i cant afford it atm :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2003
  2. C4P741N

C4P741N Member

With the Epox 8RDA+ and AFAIK most other NForce2 motherboards you can set the RAM speed as a percentage of the FSB, on the 8RDA+ various options are available from 50% FSB speed to 200%, so while not being the exact solution you asked for it works quite well.

Of course the NForce2 also has PCI/AGP locks to help overclocking.

3. OP
    OP
    MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

hmm thats sounds good, anybody know which other nf2 boards has this (people who have actually used such a board), im a bit uneasy about the 8rda+ and some stories ive heard about it (good and bad).

does the kt400a have this feature too?

4. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

I know the Asus, Abit, MSI and Epox Nforce2 boards all have this feature :)

As far as KT400A goes tho, I very much doubt it. It'll most likely be memory settings of 100/133/166/200. Not too sure on the 200Mhz option, but I'm pretty sure it'll be present. Much like the older KT333 and KT400 boards..................

5. MadOnion87

MadOnion87 Member

but if you clock your fsb higher than your ram, you will create a major bottle neck that your memory cant feed your processor for necessary data
    by then, every bit of fsb higher than your ram speed won't bring you much faster if the clock speed stays the same

6. flagger

flagger Member

i got a leadtek k7ncr18g-pro. it too has the percentage of fsb RAM option. i was unlucky as i have the first revision type board and have no cpu multiplier option, but the 2nd revision does. Good value for money board though

7. Lombers

Lombers Feed Me! Feed Me!

Correct, yet the purpose of running async is to have the memory running at faster speeds than the FSB. However, even this does not bring any advantages to the Athlon architecture, as has been touched on many times in these forums.

However, there has been some speculation that with dual channel it is possible to run the FSB higher than the RAM, and because dual channel provides double the memory bandwidth, it will still saturate the memory bus enough to provide sufficient data to the CPU. This unfortunately, proves not to be the case in real world tests, as it seems the CPU takes quite a performance hit when the memory is running anything lower than the FSB, even with dual channel mode enabled. Theoretically, this would have been one of the major advantages of the Nforce2 board, it's a shame it hasn't succeeded :(

Last edited: Mar 17, 2003