Is there a video camera with an event marker?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by g@z, Aug 1, 2021.

1. g@z

g@z Member

Noob question time.

I video football, and someone else makes a highlights package out of it.
    I have seen in video processing applications that you can mark or tag events, but that is after the video has been taken. What I would love is a video camera with a button or something that I can push whenever something worth noting occurs, like a good mark or a goal etc, and it puts a marker in the video that processsing apps can then see.

Does anyone know of such a thing? Thanks!

Regards,
    g@z.

2. Hater

Hater Member

well

usually that's done on the audio recorder

and then when you sync the audio to the video it's a video marker

i don't know any video cameras that do it though

g@z likes this.
  3. Admiral

Admiral Member

This is a really low-budget method, but stick with me. I often shoot sport and performances, and ran into the same issue as you - wanting to be able to easily note moments to come back to later in the cut. So what I did, was get a cheap hotshoe adaptor that I sit my phone in, and I just run the stopwatch on the default Clock app.

By starting the Stopwatch at the same time I start the video, I then just hit the "Lap" button every time something interesting happens. After the game/performance, I export the lap times to a document, and reference it during editing. It's helped a LOT with generating speedy highlight packages post-match.

This method works best when I'm tripod-mounted, as I can easily reference the phone without having to move away from the recording - but if you can find a method of triggering the stopwatch when you need to, it might be a very low-budget approach.

UnexpectedError and g@z like this.