Is there a way to connect my TV to my PC like this?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by peteed1985, Feb 23, 2017.

1. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

So right now I use my PC with dual monitors for gaming and game development like programming so I need my 2nd monitor to be an extended desktop like it is already.

What I want to do is connect my 40 inch TV to my PC and have it so that the TV isn't a 3rd monitor in the extended desktop but rather is it's own desktop that I have to do something special on my PC to change to controlling it. Basically so I can now and again swap to it and start a new netflix/youtube vid to watch while I play/work.

Is this type of thing doable?

2. russkris

russkris Member

What hardware do you have?

3. ae00711

ae00711 Member

you want to add a third monitor without it being a third monitor? :lol:

just plug it in, extend desktop, do nothing with it when you don't (want to) use it & use it when you need to, simple.

4. connico

connico Member

Sounds like you want a second pc connected to the TV to run netflix etc... and need a kvm or remote desktop session to control it...

Media player??

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

can't you play games with a custom resolution so it only takes up 2 monitors so if you really had to you could have youtube or something running (having two lots of sound coming through is a different matter)

i don't think what you want is really doable in the fact you want it to run completely separate till you alt+tab to it

6. Reins

Reins Member

Windows 10 virtual desktop? Unsure if it has the functionality you are after but it may be what you're after.

Also, we used to use a program at school like this.. I think it was called '4 Screens' or something similar.

7. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

sorta sounds like remote display.. almost.
    this sounds like something that a chrome cast or an apple tv would be suited for (if you dont have a smart TV) if that is all your going to be doing with it (that being youtube or netflix etc)

8. Usambara

Usambara Member

Haven't tried any of there.

Someone has apparently made something like you are talking about
    https://www.actualtools.com/virtualdesktops/independent_virtual_desktops_on_multiple_monitors.shtml

There was also some software that allowed sharing input devices between multiple PC's. But It does require a 2nd PC running, can't remember what, I thought MS was doing a version. PC on usb key with HDMI for under $50 would easily fill that niche.
    Quick search on that concept
    http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/
    https://symless.com/synergy/

If the you can't have another PC running.
    Perhaps a VM using PCI pass through where you hand over an extra video card to the VM. If you have a discret Video card, and onboard give the onboard to the TV VM. Dunno which support it fully on Windows. KVM easy.

9. Rezin

Rezin Member

Sounds like you just want to restrict the mouse from moving to the TV (most of the time), and to not have any desktop background/icons/taskbar/etc on it?

10. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

That's how I read it

If so, then Windows basic screen management does it.
    On win10 it's - Windows button + p

I'm pretty sure what you want is what I have set up.

I set the tv as monitor 1, this main pc monitor as 2 and secondary pc monitor as 3
    When I want the tv, I use "pc monitor only"
    When I want the pc monitors, use "2nd screen only"

11. Rezin

Rezin Member

Yeah, but that's just a quick way to extend monitors. I think he's more after something like this (without the use of any other programs)

https://i.imgur.com/l9jIYuZ.png

The mouse doesn't go to the other monitor as easily when they're side-by-side... it has to go through the corner.

12. Unframed

Unframed Member

That can be done in display properties.

From what I read you may want to look at how your graphics card can use your displays. I have 3 displays, when playing overwatch/editing video I use extended desktop because they are distinguished as individual monitors but for games like mirrors edge I enable a 6400x1080 preset array in Crimson.

It sounds like you may want to make 2 monitors an array and the TV as an extended desktop which should be entirely possible via GPU multi-monitor configs.

13. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

I have low vision so when I change to controlling the TV I kinda want to control it while seeing it on my main PC screen too and then when I change back being able to go back to my game.

It might be a 40" TV but being so far away I can't read anything on it. The only way I can see for it is me installing say a virtual machine 2nd copy of windows that can run in a window that I could drag onto my main screen to start videos and then move the window back to the other monitor. But I think that'd bog the system way down.

14. tree86ers

tree86ers Member

ok that gives more context.. and i think your over thinking it.
    as long as your vid card can display to the TV as well just have a web browser or app (netflix has an app right?) to drag it down and change what you need then flick it back up. running a VM to watch vid's is a bit overkill.

15. OP
    OP
    peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

Yeah I just don't wanna mouse over to the 3rd screen by mistake when I have the TV off or while i'm in a raid on WoW or even mistakenly mouse to it and pause the video xD