1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there an easy to install and use Linux?

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by ThankDog, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

lol what? i have to ask what your doing wrong?

i have not had a single problem with windows where a program is a pain to install at least from when i first got windows 7, though certainly can't remember any major problems before that.

And while yes i work in IT and do know what i'm doing i have not done anything special, just click the installer & next next next, done.

I can't see how you would like the finder over explorer (I used to have a macbook pro 13" before i gave it to my fiancee as i hated it) but its all up to personal preference, and i can only imagine you grew up on Mac OS? as i grew up on Windows and can't stand the mac osx as i find it unintuitive

Yes installing programs on OSX is very simple, but the "installers" are also a lot bigger, the installed program also takes up more space(a bit annoying when using SSD's) the operating system runs like a dog imo especially as its optimized for that hardware.

anyway back to Linux

I would recommend: Xubuntu

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

not with the same speed. I don't want to debate the relative merits of any distro, it's just opinion as to what people prefer.

As for what the differences are, the different distros include different things. Instead of looking up how to "tweak" your windows installation, people actually do it on linux, and then offer "their" setup to other users. There are infinite possibilities which is why people go "it's too hard!". It isn't hard at all, it's just that you do need to figure out what's included. Nobody but you can get a distro that you like to use and will suit what YOU want to do on your computer, and the only way you will get one that fits your OP requirements is to try them out and pick one that's got enough of the stuff already in it that makes what YOU want to do easier or that you like the look of or that you think is a good way to do things.

All we can do is recommend things that WE'VE found suited us and had enough stuff not to need a lot of messing about for basic things... It's a bit like asking "what's a good car to get?" when everything on it is optional and everybody has different needs. Peter Dingle and Magic Johnson won't want the same thing..... The purchaser has to go to the car yards and search online, nobody else can really hand them what will suit.

3. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

Ok, fair enough, I just don't know what's out there or even any of the above information until I read it just now, hence why I was asking.

My preferences are things like Column View in the OS X Finder. God how I miss that seemingly inconsequential thing. File renaming and management on the whole I prefer the way OS X does things. Scrolling whatever window the cursor is over is also greatly missed. If I can find a distro that can do those things, I'd be in heaven.

4. broccoli

broccoli Member

I haven't used OSX so I don't even know the features you are after....

Maybe ask on a Mac forum? Dedicated Mac users may have some recommendations for you for the specifics you'd like.

Otherwise, if it's possible, then any distro can pretty much do anything..... you just need to find it. Mac users might be the best to give you a hint as to best place to start.

5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

There are workarounds and keyboard shortcuts for those sorts of things on other OSes. For example, you can press F3 F2 to rename a selected file on windows.

The Column View thing seems to be unique though. I wasn't much of a fan though, could never read full filenames properly in that view on most screens (I tend to have deep folders).

I guess it all comes down to familiarity with an OS.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  6. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Kubuntu here, I've grown to like KDE.

Column view can get fucked imho, KDE has a breadcrumb trail and tabbed 'finder' (btw the 'finder' thing is called a 'file manager' in linux, there are tons of them. KDE uses Dolphin)

7. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

Which is why I ended up starting with Arch and building it up from there. I never thought I would, and it is totally out of character for me. It was the only way to get what I really wanted. Certainly takes a fair bit of time and effort though (again, very out of character).

openSUSE allows you to do this to some extent by choosing only to install the a windows manager/environment without installing any other packages.

OP: I said it in my last post, but I'll say it again. Grab VirtualBox and try installing, goofing around, and trying to break the different distros.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  8. Tinian

Tinian Member

F2 :thumbup:

9. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Live CDs are pretty standard these days. All flavours of Ubuntu and Mint offer the ability to run from a CD (and save configuration changes to a USB stick if you want).

There are tools to transfer the LiveCD image to a USB stick, and reserve space to store persistent changes too.

Particularly in the last few years, Ubuntu's installers have really taken the next step towards total simplicity. I've not yet met a person of any skill level who had difficulties with them.

10. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

If you can read you can install *buntu.

11. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Since you'd like to try a Mac OS style interface maybe give Elementary a go.

12. clonex

clonex Member

Lol i thought i was browsing on apples website for a moment there.

Ill vote for ubuntu, the installation has been idiot-proof for years just requiring one to keep on just pressing ok or next

13. broccoli

broccoli Member

Does nobody ever bother to read what I put? Ubuntu takes DAYS to load compared to puppy.
    :D It's the purported "idiot-proofing" that's the problem..... It does what it wants, not what you want.

14. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Seriously don't FUD up the thread.

Ubuntu does not take days, takes me less then 1hr from start to finish that includes updating to the latest updates.

15. BeanerSA

BeanerSA Member

I think, broc, that folks have missed you are talking about the start time for 'live' environment. No?

16. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Ha, whoops. :lol: F3 is search, my bad.

17. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

That's the problem, though, it's just some randomly allocated key that I have to remember. On OS X it's the enter key. Highlight the file, hit enter, type a new name, hit enter again. Enter is intuitive, F2 could be any key. I hate the any key. I can never remember where it is...

18. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Seriously, how does that make any greater sense? How is Rename more of a priority than any other file function.

In the PC world, rename has been F2 since the dawn of Windows. Enter has been Open since the dawn of Windows. You would have to have a compelling reason to make a UI change on this.

19. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

yes, it is easy to install and use linux.

no, it wont solve your issues.

why, because l2pc.

the sheer fact you are having issues gaming on the current best OS for it is enough to prove that you need to reevaluate the way you approach it.

linux was not designed for gaming, while it can do it just as well as windows for SOME games anything that relies on DirectX will either not work, or will be a royal bitch to configure.

20. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I think I have to agree with this. It seems that the OP has been brought up on OSX and isn't enjoying change. I personally like Linux, Windows and OSX for all their unique features, but I prefer Windows due to it's wider compatibility with most hardware and software. I think many will agree that Windows 7 is one of the best OSes ever released.

Take your time, sort the teething issues (which sounds like it's caused by the game, not the OS - EA are notorious for releasing broken games), learn the little "ease of use" shortcuts (keyboard shortcuts, useful apps, etc) change your attitude to a more positive one and you should learn to enjoy Windows for the way it is. Whenever I tell their clients that they will have to adjust to a new way of working with technology (eg. moving from Outlook to Gmail), I always tell them that they'll hate it for a month or so, then learn to love it for what it is and how more it can do for them compared to their previous system.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.