Is there lots of theft in Phuket?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by Riddick187, Jul 30, 2016.

1. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Ive left wallets and phones on the bed, my motorbike helmet and gloves on top of my bike and even left the keys in the ignition a few times, nothing went missing. But Phuket being what it is id excercise caution.
    On a border run to maesai in north Thailand at Thai customs was a loaded M16 leaning against the wall unnattended with the customs guy taking a nap. Different culture and Buddha/ khama based belief systems and the ability to live happily here on next to no money

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

This is how I feel when I go over there. Like theft just isn't part of the culture there, it would be so easy to do it, especially for the kids that harass you to play games with them.
    I think also having a position at a hotel or in hospitality would be so saught after for them that risking stealing for a few bucks wouldn't be worth the risk of a stable job.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

https://www.comparetravelinsurance....l-insurance-cover-luggage-and-personal-effect

Not covered:
    - Items left in a hotel room, or hotel luggage room after check out.
    - Items left behind in any aircraft, ship, train, tram, taxi or bus.
    - Jewellery, mobile phones, cameras, video cameras, personal computers that are transported in the cargo hold of any aircraft, ship, train, train, tram or bus.
    - Items unattended in a motor vehicle, unless they were locked in the boot or in a locked storage compartment.
    - Items left unattended or unsupervised in a public place.

4. mtma

mtma Member

It's about reducing opportunity theft. That's really the only reason why there are 'locks' on luggage. In reality there's nothing secure about it at all (especially zipper bags, and TSA just makes for a walk in the park for anybody) but what it does prevent is sticky fingers walking by and taking a quick inspection by opportunity and lifting a few easy pickings that they might find inside. Stealing the whole bag might be quite possible but it's also very visible and not necessarily fruitful (the bag could just have clothes in it, they don't know without opening it)

5. tobes

tobes Member

Agreed, its not so much about completely preventing theft you just need to make yours harder to take than others.

6. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I wonder about the impact of the latest terror attacks in Thailand, including Phuket. It's the still off season now, but they probably will see less tourists during the main season.

7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I try to travel light, and anything that might be taken is something that can easily be replaced. Anything of value comes with me during the day in a backpack. I don't mind carrying around a backpack.

8. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

I have been to thailand each year since 2010.

Every time, I have taken my Laptop/Tablet/Phones/Ipod/Cameras and every time have never had a problem with Hotel safes; I have stayed in numerous accommodation in Bangkok/Phuket/Chiang Mai/Pattaya/Pai etc.(and even Vietnam) with out a drama. If the hotel's safe wasn't big enough (All safes were big enough for a 13" MBP/MBA), I lock it all away in my hardcase suitcase (Do this anyway even if I don't have valuables). Never had a problem.

You are more susceptible to theft when walking around Patong Beach; Make sure you have shorts with zip/button up pockets.

9. joerandom

joerandom Member

I got super drunk at tiger bar and woke up on the beach in Patong with my wallet, phone and kidneys..
    All good mate. :thumbup:

10. Scootre

Scootre Member

Travel insurance will only pay up to a certain amount for any and all electronic and camera gear items. Take separate insurance that lists each item and covers you for the full amount for each.

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

What about your butt?

12. joerandom

joerandom Member

Wasn't sore or larger than usual. win! :thumbup: