Is this 2 phase power? Any decent 2 phase hot water systems?

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by -Sk3tChY-, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Code_Nerd

Code_Nerd Member

Isn't the grey switch below the load centre the Main Switch? It has 80A written on it..

ArmoureD likes this.
  2. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

Just a note on the SWBD upgrade, if the OP moves away from storage HW / doesn't need offpeak, then the 2nd meter and AFLC relay can be removed. No matter which angle you look at this from, I would consider a meter change or additional circuits where there is no space a "major change" under AS3000 and thus the entire board would need to be brought up to current safety standards.

OP your best to stop taking internet advice and get a sparky or two to give you a quote. Some experienced sparkie's might be able to do give you a "standard" swbd upgrade price based on a couple of photos and the age + construction style of the house. If you're changing meters then also factor in Retailer / Meter provider charges.

I can't read the writing, however I agree that this is the main switch.

[edit] as per ArmoureD below.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Your on the money mate. That 32a 3 pole cb is not the main switch. That is a final sub circuit for lord knows what.

The surface mounted white switch below the load center is the main switch.

Thank me later.

fredhoon likes this.
  4. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

I could be wrong, but that looks like it's just a leftover from when it got upgraded from single phase to 3 phase. A lot of stuff has been pulled out of that board, and when those breakers were installed, they would have had to bring it up to the then safety standards.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the 3 phase breaker that I've pointed to is also wired to the 40a 3 phase ELCB, which would be for the whole house. Of course, the only way to be sure is for OP to switch the 80a white one off and report back on what happens. If his power goes out, someone will have to send me a bag of gummie dicks so I can eat them.

As I said earlier, I would get a sparky to just rip the whole lot out and get a new board put on. A licenced sparky can transfer the existing meters over to a new board with no problems.

5. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

Nope Rcd is not fed off that 32a cb.

As a matter of fact the 16mm mains are feeding to the bottom of the white main switch and individual wires run out and into the load center above.

fredhoon likes this.
  6. Code_Nerd

Code_Nerd Member

Pretty sure post https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18010302/ covers this, it shows the grey switch wired in 16mm² or thereabouts..

7. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

Your right, when I looked at it originally I thought the 8 was a 3. Have seen a lot of that type that were only 30Amp as that was the original supply size.

8. xc351

xc351 Member

Get a lecky in. Your board is not simply messy it’s darn right dangerous.

Drop the $$$$ and fix it.

Will be $1-2k maybe more.

9. bryn

bryn Member

that can be true, less loss as you are not storing hot water- but for the water you are heating you are paying 3x as much for (off peak vs peak tariff), so instant electric will 100% cost you more to run in a standard domestic situation.

Can the 315L tank simply be moved elsewhere?

10. money_killer

money_killer Member

what did u end up doing ? i hooked up 6 instant elec hws(im a sparky) the other day and the plumber said they are rubbish for a domestic situation and cost heaps more to run!!